• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

AvB thus far is vindicated, makes you wonder what he's doing different than in the past. He doesn't seem to be offside so often, for one. Playing regularly is another thing. And he LOVES this club, he only ever wants to do well with us, has always said this. He will thrive playing next to Ade, like with kanoute in the past. Against teams with better organised defences, Ade will help a lot. Now Dempsey and siggy are knowing when to find and release him - good times for him and us.

AvB thus far is vindicated, makes you wonder what he's doing different than in the past. He doesn't seem to be offside so often, for one. Playing regularly is another thing. And he LOVES this club, he only ever wants to do well with us, has always said this. He will thrive playing next to Ade, like with kanoute in the past. Against teams with better organised defences, Ade will help a lot. Now Dempsey and siggy are knowing when to find and release him - good times for him and us.

Maybe he is being guided better by the best coach he has ever had??

Why do you think Defoe doesn't get enough starts, or doesn't even make it to the England team when his stats is that good? Capello and Redknapp knows something we don't?
Defoe is good for a mid table club - just as Bent is - he just isn't good enough for the Spurs team we have now.

The problem is that Defoe only does one thing well which is receive the ball from the center of the pitch (not a cross), turn and shoot. His skillset is highly effective but extremely narrow. Definitely doesn't suit a team like us, but would probably do well for a more direct football playing team.

The stats don't lie - the other stat we have is that our conversions from possession is low, and we have one of the lowest scoring frontline in the top half of the EPL. Watch Demba Ba lately? Masterclass in positioning and selfish anticipation. Strikes as well as Defoe, just as fast (he is bulkier), his game is simply to seek out to be available to score.

Humble pie with custard for Sunday lunch :ross:

Defoe makes Garth Crooks' Team of the Week...

FORWARD - JERMAIN DEFOE, TOTTENHAM

Ever since Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas opted to give Jermain Defoe some assistance upfront, the lively striker has looked considerably more dangerous.

Clint Dempsey looks like he could be a worthy alternative to the combustible Emmanuel Adebayor.

Did you know?

Defoe scored his fifth and sixth league goals against Fulham at the weekend. Of the current Premier League teams, Wigan (10) are the only side against whom Defoe has a better scoring record.

He is certainly in good form. And when Defoe is in good form he's one of the best finishers in the league. I think he is still a risky option to play as a lone striker though, especially when you have Gallas or Dawson booting long balls up towards him, but he is taking his chances and that's what wins matches.

My worry with him is that whenever he's been in this kind of form in the first half of the season, he ALWAYS tails off in the new year (04/05, 06/07, 09/10) and I expect the same to happen again this time around.

I find it hard to believe this is the same Defoe we have been got used to over the years. The original Defoe would always waste those one-on-one chances and always got into offside positions. But this Defoe seems to have no problem scoring that one-on-chances and even beats the offside traps comfortably. Either AVB is a magician to transform Defoe or some kind of aliens has kidnapped the real Defoe, replacing him with a better clone.

I find it hard to believe this is the same Defoe we have been got used to over the years. The original Defoe would always waste those one-on-one chances and always got into offside positions. But this Defoe seems to have no problem scoring that one-on-chances and even beats the offside traps comfortably. Either AVB is a magician to transform Defoe or some kind of aliens has kidnapped the real Defoe, replacing him with a better clone.

Defoe spent a great deal of the summer training to improve his game.

I don't see any difference to be honest. Throughout his career he has always had these purple patches where he scores regularly and looks sharp. I suspect sooner or later he will drop off again, and we will effectively be playing with 10 men again. When he's on form he is superb, but sadly when he's not on top form and not scoring goals, he contributes very little to the team.

He certainly is offside a lot less.

I never minded him being offside from a through ball as this type of offside can be due to the passing player not delivering at the right time. The ones that annoyed me (and still do) were when he was ambling back from offside positions with no real urgency or just standing offside oblivious to the fact. That's just laziness and poor play. It's like someone has sat him down in front of the TV and made him watch a recording of all his offsides in one go, as punishment, and he's finally realised how stupid it was. Old dog, new tricks I hope.

Maybe he is being guided better by the best coach he has ever had??

I am not entirely sure Les Ferdinand is that much of a great coach to be honest, but he did say in an interview some time ago that he had been trying to get Defoe to score more poacher like goals which is something that seems to have come to fruition this year. That said maybe Sir Les does deserve a lot of credit because Defoe was on fire last season too in terms of goals per minutes, he just didn't get in the side in front of Adebayor.

I still wish Defoe would score in more games though. He has always had a habit of going on scoring runs where he gets a couple of braces over a 5 game period, where I'd much rather he just scored one goal in four of the matches. I think this season he has improved that so far too, scoring in five Premiership games.

He certainly is offside a lot less.

I never minded him being offside from a through ball as this type of offside can be due to the passing player not delivering at the right time. The ones that annoyed me (and still do) were when he was ambling back from offside positions with no real urgency or just standing offside oblivious to the fact. That's just laziness and poor play. It's like someone has sat him down in front of the TV and made him watch a recording of all his offsides in one go, as punishment, and he's finally realised how stupid it was. Old dog, new tricks I hope.

Earlier more direct football I think. Last season we played short passing, patient football. The keeper would usually roll it out to the full backs and we'd build from the back. We are playing a lot more counter attacking football this year, because we don't dominate possession so much, and we are certainly playing a lot more direct. The wingers tend to take their men on more and play more like traditional wingers and we are hitting the ball long on a regular basis too. Both of those factors really help bring out Defoe's natural game in my view.

I don't see any difference to be honest. Throughout his career he has always had these purple patches where he scores regularly and looks sharp. I suspect sooner or later he will drop off again, and we will effectively be playing with 10 men again. When he's on form he is superb, but sadly when he's not on top form and not scoring goals, he contributes very little to the team.

You're probably right. The more I think about it, the more I actually think that the style of football we are currently playing brings out the best in Defoe.

Earlier more direct football I think. Last season we played short passing, patient football. The keeper would usually roll it out to the full backs and we'd build from the back. We are playing a lot more counter attacking football this year, because we don't dominate possession so much, and we are certainly playing a lot more direct. The wingers tend to take their men on more and play more like traditional wingers and we are hitting the ball long on a regular basis too. Both of those factors really help bring out Defoe's natural game in my view.

Yes, that could be it but I'm not 100% sure it is by design. I still think the keeper is mostly rolling it short and our intention is to build through midfield, but a combination of pressure from the opposition forwards and change in personnel means we are going direct more often. Modric and indeed Benny are good ball players who never panicked when under pressure. VDV dropping deep was another out ball for the defenders. We've lost a bit of that possession football but with players like Bale, Dembele and Lennon we are compensating. More Jose than Guardiola if you like.

Defoe is winning none of the long balls anyway and you hardly expect him to against giant defenders. For me he's getting his goals in the same way he has always done but is on a hot streak, and seems to be onside more often. There's more than one way to skin a cat, as my old dear used to say.

189952_10151201851668505_1317283212_n.jpg

So you are saying we play long ball?
We punted way too many balls when under pressure against Liverpool but we do not play long ball.

My dad saw JG play lots of times, said once he watched him did absolutely nothing for 85 mins not even a kick then bang bang bang 3 chances 3 goals in 4 mins

One of the greatest strikers ever

i saw him score his first goal for Spurs and his last( and many in between) and you dad is right, he would be a passenger for ages but would score a hat-trick in no time. He is still the best i have ever seen and i doubt i will see better.

Back