• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

The way I see it.

Defoe and Ade will score 35 odd goals this season with the others such as Bale chipping in.

Ade plus Dempsey will score around 20 plus the others chipping in.

I know which one i would rather have.

You ignore their defensive responsibilities, which are much more difficult to ascertain.

Far more solid with Dempsey dropping back to make a midfield 5.

You ignore their defensive responsibilities, which are much more difficult to ascertain.

Far more solid with Dempsey dropping back to make a midfield 5.

Whilst I agree (maybe for the away games) I also think that by having two strikers who are a threat you effect the opposition. They will constantly be in two minds as to whether to attack or defend. If they defend we have the creativity to find holes (with Ade) and if they choose to attack we will hit them on the break. Also by having two players who are a threat a considerable threat the opposition will not really go at us hard.

Bare in mind Ade already drops very deep anyways so he does effectively turn it into a five man midfield.

I have never thought it was a case of either/or but a case of when is Ade able to play a string of games. you just cant drop Defoe

Have to say I'm not a big admirer of Defoe, but he's impressed me this season. Never thought he would be able to play up front on his own. He seems to be thriving as a result of starting practically every game, must be a big confidence boost for him. He's also started to place the ball more rather than blasting it on sight.

Some of us think that having a player that's invisible for much of the time isn't the best choice. I don't see why that is laughable.

Well then, "some of us" would think the same about Greaves, Lineker, Allen because apart from scoring goals that is basically all they did as well.

Well then, "some of us" would think the same about Greaves, Lineker, Allen because apart from scoring goals that is basically all they did as well.

I've only seen Lineker play out of those and far too little and far too long ago for me to have any opinion on how he played. Looking back, all we have are stats and I'm sure in 20 years people will have a different view of Defoe compared to how we discuss him now.

I've only seen Lineker play out of those and far too little and far too long ago for me to have any opinion on how he played. Looking back, all we have are stats and I'm sure in 20 years people will have a different view of Defoe compared to how we discuss him now.

Well i am old enough to have seen them all and like most strikers they did not get involved much with the build up to goals. I agree that Defoe will be talked about with more requard in the years to come, if he is still here in a couple of years and keeps scoring he could become our 4th highest scorer of all time ( another 29 goals) and another 7goals and he will tie with Chivers as our highest score in European games. He is a top striker whose main strength is scoring goals and will be remembered ( by many) for doing that.

Well i am old enough to have seen them all and like most strikers they did not get involved much with the build up to goals. I agree that Defoe will be talked about with more requard in the years to come, if he is still here in a couple of years and keeps scoring he could become our 4th highest scorer of all time ( another 29 goals) and another 7goals and he will tie with Chivers as our highest score in European games. He is a top striker whose main strength is scoring goals and will be remembered ( by many) for doing that.

I'm interested in knowing what you define as a "top striker".

What would you classify Berbatov and Klinsman as, top, great, world class etc?

Also for interests sake would you also call Darren Bent a top striker. He does have a great scoring record, more impressive than Defoe's.

Not being confrontational just interested in your opinion considering your age and the range of players you must have seen.

Some of us think that having a player that's invisible for much of the time isn't the best choice. I don't see why that is laughable.

It's not laughable, but it's also not a good description of Defoe.

Darren Bent is a perfect example of being invisible, not working for the team and just constantly looking to get in positions where the ball might eventually end up, even if this means an attack breaks down because he wasnt there to help.

Defoe has much more to his game than just goals. His close control and ability to run with the ball causes chaos for defenders marking him. He will quite often try and join in and normally does ok. He doesnt have the all round game that Adebayor might have (mainly due to size and strength) and he is obviously in the team for his finishing, but hes not a liability like a lot of "just a goal scorer" types.

Since he doesn't score in every game, what does he contribute in the others?

Seriously dude when you go to the Lane where do you sit? Methinks if you honestly think he does not do anything when he does not score then you must obviously have one of those restrictive viewing seats :)

I'm interested in knowing what you define as a "top striker".

What would you classify Berbatov and Klinsman as, top, great, world class etc?

Also for interests sake would you also call Darren Bent a top striker. He does have a great scoring record, more impressive than Defoe's.

Not being confrontational just interested in your opinion considering your age and the range of players you must have seen.

Give Bent the ball and he has to do something other than shoot then the team probably loses the ball or momentum of attack.

Give Defoe the ball on the half way line and he probably instantly controls it and makes a good quick pass out wide or goes on a run that results in a shot or corner, therefore keeping the pressure on. Im not going to pretend he is involved constantly and all the play goes through him, but he is good enough that if the ball does come to him on the half way line he probably wont let you down. Plus you add his goal scoring ability and it makes him a really great player to have.

Seriously dude when you go to the Lane where do you sit? Methinks if you honestly think he does not do anything when he does not score then you must obviously have one of those restrictive viewing seats :)

I think what internet stream do you use and does it keep buffering would be a more appropriate question.

Bent can't get into the Villa team. He was about a £20 mill buy for them. The game is about 11 players.

I haven't said he doesn't contribute anything, I merely asked the question: "What does he contribute if he doesn't score?" A lot of this thread consist of posts twisting others' opinions to the extreme. IMO a different type of striker, let's call him Adebayor, would be a better choice if we're playing one up front. This season we haven't really had much choice and Defoe has responded well in terms of goals, but some matches he is more or less invisible. He might occasionally pop up and waste a good opportunity with one of his long range efforts. What I have criticised him for in the past is that he so often doesn't look up when he receives the ball. Within shooting distance he seems to lose all awareness of other players around him. My point has been that if he were to pass to a team mate more often, rather than look for a chance to have a go himself, the team would be better of. We might even score more goals.

Who would make the best pairing out of Defoe, Ade, Dempsey is a completely separate matter.

I have no problem acknowledging the improvements in his game. I was one of the first to point his improved hold up play when we re-signed him from Pompey. He is always on the front foot when it comes to getting on the ball and doesn't get brushed off it easily. His ability to stay onside also seems to have improved, though that could be down a change in how we play.

I do think we should consider offers for him if they come in. Every player has a price and Levy won't hesitate if he can get what he think is the right amount. What's imperative is that we replace him with someone of at least similar quality. That does not mean that I think we need to get rid of him. I think we should add another striker/forward regardless of what happens with Defoe.

I think what internet stream do you use and does it keep buffering would be a more appropriate question.

No arguing such a profound and considered statement.

Defoe is moving up the all-time Spurs scoring chart. He just passed Teddy Sheringham (who I would imagine, had far more assists to Defoe), and if he can pass a few more others, even if goals are what all he contributed, he will still be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

*edit* oops, didn't read parklane1's response when posting mine

Last edited:

JD is a very good player who is doing very well for us at the moment. He says he wants to end his career playing for Spurs. He scores loads of goals for us. Why don't I love him ?

Give Bent the ball and he has to do something other than shoot then the team probably loses the ball or momentum of attack.

Give Defoe the ball on the half way line and he probably instantly controls it and makes a good quick pass out wide or goes on a run that results in a shot or corner, therefore keeping the pressure on. Im not going to pretend he is involved constantly and all the play goes through him, but he is good enough that if the ball does come to him on the half way line he probably wont let you down. Plus you add his goal scoring ability and it makes him a really great player to have.

A very good analysis.
I'd like to add that with the work he has done on his upper body strength, he's actually a lot stronger on the ball than he used to be and is able to hold and pass far more than he used to. He's very useful at switching into the channels, his movement across and wide can open up great space for others, plus he keeps the last defender very honest with his speed. He is also a confidence player, always has been. Neither Jol or Redknapp actually delivered on their big words about him, preferring Keane and Crouch/Rafa/Ade respectively. Funny thing is, whenever JD was paired with Berba, theirs was a great partnership, but he would always be benched as soon as Keano was fit again. He's finally getting the love and it's showing...

A very good analysis.
I'd like to add that with the work he has done on his upper body strength, he's actually a lot stronger on the ball than he used to be and is able to hold and pass far more than he used to. He's very useful at switching into the channels, his movement across and wide can open up great space for others, plus he keeps the last defender very honest with his speed. He is also a confidence player, always has been. Neither Jol or Redknapp actually delivered on their big words about him, preferring Keane and Crouch/Rafa/Ade respectively. Funny thing is, whenever JD was paired with Berba, theirs was a great partnership, but he would always be benched as soon as Keano was fit again. He's finally getting the love and it's showing...

I agree with every word of that. I think that his around game massively.improved after he came back from injury after he rejoined us but for one reason or another, he has not had many runs in the team.

Funny thing is, whenever JD was paired with Berba, theirs was a great partnership,

Strange - what I seem to recall is mostly arm-flapping from the Bulgarian and frustration around Defoe's reluctance / inability to pass/combine/release other players

Strange - what I seem to recall is mostly arm-flapping from the Bulgarian and frustration around Defoe's reluctance / inability to pass/combine/release other players

To be fair, the Mercurial Magician didn't take much to flop an arm or curl an eyebrow in disdain (he was usually operating on another planet in terms of talent) but their productivity together was actually really really good...

Back