• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

I also liked Defoe/Berbatov. Not on the same level as Berba/Keane but I thought they did a good job together. Berbatovs vision was always handy for Defoe

Give Bent the ball and he has to do something other than shoot then the team probably loses the ball or momentum of attack.

Give Defoe the ball on the half way line and he probably instantly controls it and makes a good quick pass out wide or goes on a run that results in a shot or corner, therefore keeping the pressure on. Im not going to pretend he is involved constantly and all the play goes through him, but he is good enough that if the ball does come to him on the half way line he probably wont let you down. Plus you add his goal scoring ability and it makes him a really great player to have.

The bit in bold is a bit of a fantasy comment. How often do these things happen? If you give Defoe the ball on the halfway line he will usually lose it, his first touch is ok but far from instant, go back and watch a few matches you will constantly see passes bouncing off him and possession being lost. If we are honest he has probably played a quick progressive ball to the wings as many times as you have fingers on your hand. He is doing better this season, showing more inclination to pass but he still has that utterly frustrating urge to shoot on sight and most times off sight as well.

Defoe functions well if he is fed well, for now he will have to do. Long term if we want progress we need someone with a more rounded skillset.

The bit in bold is a bit of a fantasy comment. How often do these things happen? If you give Defoe the ball on the halfway line he will usually lose it, his first touch is ok but far from instant, go back and watch a few matches you will constantly see passes bouncing off him and possession being lost. If we are honest he has probably played a quick progressive ball to the wings as many times as you have fingers on your hand. He is doing better this season, showing more inclination to pass but he still has that utterly frustrating urge to shoot on sight and most times off sight as well.

Defoe functions well if he is fed well, for now he will have to do. Long term if we want progress we need someone with a more rounded skillset.

Agreed completely - very good post

I'm interested in knowing what you define as a "top striker".

What would you classify Berbatov and Klinsman as, top, great, world class etc?

Also for interests sake would you also call Darren Bent a top striker. He does have a great scoring record, more impressive than Defoe's.

Not being confrontational just interested in your opinion considering your age and the range of players you must have seen.

Well there is no doubt that Klinsman was a world class striker ( imo), Berby was far more then a striker but yes he was a great players because his abilty was up there with the best.

Bent is no where near as good as Defoe, Defoe can and does link up play, he can beat a man and has done for a lot of his goals, runs the channels well. Bent can do none off those things.

Give Bent the ball and he has to do something other than shoot then the team probably loses the ball or momentum of attack.

Give Defoe the ball on the half way line and he probably instantly controls it and makes a good quick pass out wide or goes on a run that results in a shot or corner, therefore keeping the pressure on. Im not going to pretend he is involved constantly and all the play goes through him, but he is good enough that if the ball does come to him on the half way line he probably wont let you down. Plus you add his goal scoring ability and it makes him a really great player to have.

Sums it up very well =D>

I'm not sure how you reach these conclusions.
We are currently the joint second highest goalscorers in the country, despite playing half the season without some of our most important creative players around Defoe.
Our goals are coming from a variety of sources.
Defoe is onto his best-ever season.
If you want to watch lost possession, I'd suggest a look at Ade's 'performances' this season, which have been largely laborious. He has looked far from a goal threat, and his hold-up play has not been exceptional either.
Who would you suggest we sign instead of Defoe?

Well there is no doubt that Klinsman was a world class striker ( imo), Berby was far more then a striker but yes he was a great players because his abilty was up there with the best.

Bent is no where near as good as Defoe, Defoe can and does link up play, he can beat a man and has done for a lot of his goals, runs the channels well. Bent can do none off those things.
I agree, Defoe is actually a very good all round footballer. He has an excellent right foot for a Cross, shot or pass and good dribbling skills. His only problem is that he plays with his head down to much and therefore doesn't appear to be as much of a team player as he could be. He is however now learning to play with his head up a bit more and we are benefiting.

I'm not sure how you reach these conclusions.
We are currently the joint second highest goalscorers in the country, despite playing half the season without some of our most important creative players around Defoe.
Our goals are coming from a variety of sources.
Defoe is onto his best-ever season.
If you want to watch lost possession, I'd suggest a look at Ade's 'performances' this season, which have been largely laborious. He has looked far from a goal threat, and his hold-up play has not been exceptional either.
Who would you suggest we sign instead of Defoe?

That post makes me want to bang your brains out dude.

I wholeheartedly think the same. I just dont get people who constantly mention selling players or just get in the cash as he is getting older etc but not offering anything as an option for a replacement.

Yeah lets get rid of the guy who got us 20 goals this season, for 10m, so that next season we can start with -20 goals and 10m in our coffers.

In the dreamworld even if we got someone like Llorente in the summer I would DEFINITELY keep Defoe. Predators like him go for two or three times as much and are rare these days so just keep him even as an impact sub and those games. Especially if we are successful this seasona nd get into the CL or even in the EL.

Agree again

That pass to Bale against Arse - when we beat them 2-1 in the CL season - was just fudgein sublime - one of my fave passes ever. Even I didnt see that pass was on and I have a birds eye view. (Had Messi made that pass people would be sucking his ****) Bent would never have done that simply because there isnt any evidence of that. Defoe has a bit of a brain about him Bent doesnt.

Lets take chelscum for example - they have three or four very very skillful players in behind the striker - you can have all the skill in the world, you can create as much as you want but if you dont have someone putting that ball in the back of the net the best youre gonna get is a draw.

I am happy to have the three behind the striker create and create and create and have a striker who puts those opportunities in the back of the onion bag.

There is this obsession with linking up play, skill, creating etc but no fudgein point in creating 10 chances if youre gonna score one rather than having a striker to make two of those chances count rather than one. Maybe its just what our preferences are - I dont mind if a striker just sits there and bangs them in - I would rather have someone stay up top off the shoulder of the last defender than someone roaming about without a care in the world.

@Stef

I don't disagree that Ade has been poor this season and I don't think he is ideal for the role either, he like Defoe has certain obvious deficiencies that clash with the attributes needed. Regarding who we should sign, there are a number of names but I am not a scout and no longer watch a wide enough range of football to really say. I don't believe it would be that hard to find a more suitable forward for the team (others have done so) as I just don't rate what we have as highly as some.

@DHSF

The pass you speak of was indeed sublime if intended and I don't doubt that he is able to occasionally do something other than turn and blast vaguely towards goal. The point is he rarely does, even your example is two seasons old...

I want to see more from a forward, I don't understand why we would desire a limited player in any position. Look towards the best teams and you find a common trend for players with strengths across a number of areas. The stronger the team the more likely that their forward will possess intelligence and not just be able to but inclined to hold, link, create and most importantly finish.

I want the best for Spurs and progress and a very obvious way of doing so is eventually improving our forward options. Beyond that you talk about a situation we do not have. We do not have the likes of Mata, Hazard, Oscar et al. So I feel we need a little bit more from a striker. We can't afford to play a striker whose only contribution is finishing chances when we are struggling to look after the ball well. It doesn't help that it rarely stays in the opposition half for long. The pressure just builds on the defense and we concede, so while we may be second in most goals scored we have also conceded more than every team above 13th place and 7 more goals than the team one place above us.

Defoe has improved immensely this season, for whatever reason. Suggestions that Bent is no different is just ridiculous, Bent needs his goals served up on a plate for him - Defoe can create his own, and has scored a variety of different goals. Certainly don't have reservations about him playing up front on his own anymore, whether that's down to his own improvements, or AVBs system etc I don't really know....

Defoe has improved immensely this season, for whatever reason. Suggestions that Bent is no different is just ridiculous, Bent needs his goals served up on a plate for him - Defoe can create his own, and has scored a variety of different goals. Certainly don't have reservations about him playing up front on his own anymore, whether that's down to his own improvements, or AVBs system etc I don't really know....

That I definitely have to give him credit for. He has come through with some very important goals and composed finishes so far this season.

@Stef

I don't disagree that Ade has been poor this season and I don't think he is ideal for the role either, he like Defoe has certain obvious deficiencies that clash with the attributes needed. Regarding who we should sign, there are a number of names but I am not a scout and no longer watch a wide enough range of football to really say. I don't believe it would be that hard to find a more suitable forward for the team (others have done so) as I just don't rate what we have as highly as some.

@DHSF

The pass you speak of was indeed sublime if intended and I don't doubt that he is able to occasionally do something other than turn and blast vaguely towards goal. The point is he rarely does, even your example is two seasons old...

I----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Virtually the same pass and creation of space to make the pass to Bale against City this season.

He has always been a skillful player. Rarely misplaces a pass. Is a lot more two footed than most strikers.

That post makes me want to bang your brains out dude.

I wholeheartedly think the same. I just dont get people who constantly mention selling players or just get in the cash as he is getting older etc but not offering anything as an option for a replacement.

Yeah lets get rid of the guy who got us 20 goals this season, for 10m, so that next season we can start with -20 goals and 10m in our coffers.

In the dreamworld even if we got someone like Llorente in the summer I would DEFINITELY keep Defoe. Predators like him go for two or three times as much and are rare these days so just keep him even as an impact sub and those games. Especially if we are successful this seasona nd get into the CL or even in the EL.

:eek:...

[-o<...

:lol:

@Stef

So many factors...bedding in time, ownership, availability, adaptability, price...it's a LOT harder than it appears to balance all those factors AND find someone better than Defoe who, IMO, has been an excellent striker but woefully messed-with for the last 6 seasons.

I can think of very few strikers I would rather than him. Maybe Van Persie, but I personally think I might commit hari-kari if that twunt ever played in our shirt. Eto'o in his prime (not now)...

The one attacking midfielder/forward I think we should sign to complement him is Muller from Bayern, who is just fantastic IMO...

BTW, and a general point this, lovely lovely finish tonight.

Not sure you watch much football. Defoe is perfectly capable of joining in and can hold the ball and play a pass without losing it. He struggles in a few situations as most small players do, such as when the ball is loose and he is trying to get it under control while holding off a defender, but generally if he gets a good pass we will still have possession.

And yes having a player with the complete skill set would be better than Defoe. But what are the chances of Van Persie wanting to join us, or us being able to afford him? I can also understand how some people don't rate Defoe as they watch so little of other teams that they don't see the limitations most strikers have. There are very few strikers that have it all. Luckily we do have Ade that can hold it up and score goals, but Defoe is such a weapon we could do with them both on the pitch. Find someone we can sign who can terrorise defenders around the box plus tick all the other boxes, great bring him in and we can drop Defoe. But until then Defoe is top of the list of non world class strikers.

Back