• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

I think when it comes to our team there are quite a few players who if the right oppurtunity arose we should look at upgrading. The problem is that these oppurtunities dont come around all that often at the right price meaning you have to prioritise your transfer dealings. Are there better left backs out there than BAE? Yes. Do i think his position this summer is a priority? Well with the rest of the issues we have in the team no im sorry i dont think so. BAE is probably one of our most consistent performers. In my opinion he is a safe fulllback who most games will put in a 7/10 performance. Now and again he is culpable of switching off and yes once or twice i have seen him jogging back casually when he should be sprinting. But i could say the same for the vast majority of our team. We dont have to many who have the drive to keep going, keep fighting, keep chasing. We dont have to many WINNERS. Do i think this attitude is acceptable for a team looking to challenge at the top of the table? No, but its where we are at.

Fact remains that this summer unless we get extremely lucky we are not going to be able to have a complete overhaul of our squad. We need centre backs, strikers, cover for the wings and depending on Modric maybe another central midfield and a long termer keep be it this summer or next. All of those positions need upgrading before BAE and i dont even think we'll get everything that i personally would like to see.

I think he is, even if he isn't the best, he's amongst the best. Who exactly is an attainable upgrade on him?

I think he is, even if he isn't the best, he's amongst the best. Who exactly is an attainable upgrade on him?

This is a good question. Another would be "how much would that upgrade cost, and how much better would he actually be?" Then add "could that money be spent better on strengthening some other part of the team?"

You're right about that, but there's no way he's in the same class as Evra or Cole. They don't make half the amount of mistakes Benny makes, and they've proved it for far longer too.

You're right about that, but there's no way he's in the same class as Evra or Cole. They don't make half the amount of mistakes Benny makes, and they've proved it for far longer too.

Because they play with better players, better defences and ultimately are more experienced than BAE.

Also you are comparing two of the best full backs in the world with BAE. No one has claimed that BAE is the best or one of the best in the world and ultimately he is a competent enough full back who gets alot fo the ball and starts a great deal of our attacks.

Because they play with better players, better defences and ultimately are more experienced than BAE.

Also you are comparing two of the best full backs in the world with BAE. No one has claimed that BAE is the best or one of the best in the world and ultimately he is a competent enough full back who gets alot fo the ball and starts a great deal of our attacks.

People on here always claim he is the best left back in the premier league, which would make him one of the best in the world.

People on here always claim he is the best left back in the premier league, which would make him one of the best in the world.

He is ONE OF THE BEST in the league - and rightly so.

He isnt the best for sure.

If he plays with good defenders he will prosper the same as many other left backs. If Evra hadnt been playing with the likes of Rio or Vidic. Or Cole with the likes of Terry, Carvalho or Ivanovic etc

Instead you have Benny who is much better with the likes of King alongside him than a crocked King and a bit of a liability Gallas.

Are there still anyone blaming this one on Ekotto after 6 pages?

This is a typical example, King does poorly, Walker is too far back so Ramires isn't offside, Ekotto was staying fairly close to Bosingwa (if he hadn't and the ball was passed to Boswingwa I'm sure people would have been complaining that Ekotto wasn't close enough to Bosingwa), Bale was... Where was Bale exactly? And yet, those that don't rate Ekotto blame the goal on Ekotto...

Not the first, and I'm guessing not the last time a goal that wasn't Ekotto's fault gets blamed on him and those that don't rate him use that as an explanation to keep not liking Ekotto.

Cheers to Mullet for posting the pics so I didn't have to go digging around :)

Absolutely. As a full back you have to trust that your CBs are not going to wander off leaving their man unmarked with a huge hole to run into.
And as pointed out if Benny had come off Boswinga, Boswinga had got the ball crossed it in and they'd scored, then he's crticised for not marking his man. King should have communicated with Benny, assuming he was actually aware of Ramirez.

i'd prefer to play the full backs closer to the CBs but that's the manager's call.

If you are going to crititicise Benny for anything it should be for trying to keeep the ball live at all costs, when sometimes he should just hoof it into the stands. Other than that he is a pretty good full back.

I said he's over-rated at our club.

Arsenal have that Brazilian LB (Santos?) who's looked the part this season - doubt would BAE be ahead of him. The other Top 6 club I was referring to was Liverpool and Enrique is ahead of him, imv

Have you actually discussed that left back with Gooners? Because if they don't rate him and think he is a defensive liability.

Is this the one? If there is another one in here somewhere please re-post and let me know as I couldn't find it.

To me this makes no sense. He should expect King to leave his position and zone to press up when he didn't have to and slot into the centre back position, leaving Bosingwa completely alone. If this was how he regularly acted he would be (rightly) slated for it.

Here's a summary

- Mata goes past Parker and is now free to advance forward and do some damage.

- King realises that and goes forward to close him down (basics)

- The very moment Mata was free, BAE should have dropped back to split Ramires and Bosingwa, imv

The zonal marking bible is merely textbook writings which are hardly context-specific. He should be more pro-active than reactive and attempt to read the movement patterns better.

Andre Santos? I hope this is banter.

I rate Benny higher than Baines at just about everything other than free kicks, where he'd probably turn to brick if we were to sign him anyway.

Santos has looked llike a Championship player at best. Defensively he looks like a complete mess that will make a few mistakes per game but offensively he's looked decent. Gooner fans don't seem to rate him one bit.

Here's a summary

- Mata goes past Parker and is now free to advance forward and do some damage.

- King realises that and goes forward to close him down (basics)

- The very moment Mata was free, BAE should have dropped back to split Ramires and Bosingwa, imv

The zonal marking bible is merely textbook writings which are hardly context-specific. He should be more pro-active than reactive and attempt to read the movement patterns better.

What do you mean split? what you're saying isn't what coaches teach players at grass roots level (or any level for that matter). You're saying he should be inbetween both players so you're basically saying in that split second he should have a look at Bosingwa, then have a look at Ramires, then calculate where exactly 50% is between the players and stand there. That's near enough an impossible task and something i've never heard of.

You either stick or go. You comit to tracking Ramires' run OR stick with Bosingwa. BAE made the correct choice staying with his man (Bosingwa) and still was smart enough to read that Ledley was wondering into no mans land. King pushed forward for whatever reason (he didn't even commit to pushing forawrd and was half arsed about it) and BAE noticed that and could see Ramires' run so decided to chase him and leave Bosingwa but it was too late. Utter crap from Ledley King on that occasion and BAE made NO mistake.

Definitely NOT the best left back in the league as many on here claim.

yeah, someone called BAE the BEST left back in the league?

news to me to be honest. i personally think you'd be hard pressed to find ' many ' say he is the best.

one of the best? definately......

defensively just as good as a couple of other overrated left backs (evra and baines) yep check.

when evra and baines have to defend on their own, or when they consistently shut down various types of wide men by themselves...i'll reassess . but right now i wont be giving props to players that have the team helping them defend their flank whereas BAE has bale, a non starter, and modric (actually he's pretty good at it),.......backing him up.

its funny but there was a time bale actually chased a man back and helped BAE defend....it was a big moment for me. i felt the love

Back