• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Someone tell me how Milner is in this squad, starting as a right winger whilst Lennon is sat at home?

There was a brilliant moment with Milner towards the end. He receives the ball at the half way line and instead of passing it, he waits for the Belgian players to surround him, then starts running with the ball and instantly loses it.

I'd rather see Walcott than Milner and I don't think that much of Walcott. Being a hard worker isn't enough at international level, certainly not if you're meant to be playing on the wing....

Will not rate Terry. Even if this was the last ratings thread on the entire internet because Skynet came online and took everything else down.

Will not do it.

Everyone else gets a six.

Played at left back so was out of position but he was solid. Stopped Young, Johnson and Milner a few times.

Rating England is always harder than rating Spurs because at least with Spurs I'm biased towards everyone rather than biased towards some and against others.

Hart 7 - Clean sheet but didn't have many real saves to make, got a bit lucky when an extremely long range effort hit the post, nearly got caught out when on the ball next to Lukaku.

Johnson 5 - Meh.

Terry 6.

Lescott 6.

Cole 6.

Milner 5 - Was useful defensively, wasn't as useful offensively.... Was somewhat strangely the target for a few long balls - against a tall CB playing LB.

Parker 7.5 MotM. Nearly gave me a heart attack when he took out Vertongen though.

Gerrard 6.

AOC - 7. Was against a midfielder playing RB and took advantage a couple of times.

Young 7. Nice assist.

Welbeck 7. Nice goal and nice combination with Gerrard to win the ball back for his first goal.

Defoe did well after coming on, Rooney defended fairly well after coming on... Walcott was largely pointless, his pass to Defoe took Defoe away from goal and gave him a difficult angle to shoot from. (Unless Walcott thought Defoe might cross the ball if he sent him towards the corner flag instead of putting him 1v1 in front of the GK...) It's hard to rate anyone that wasn't on the pitch for that long.

Parker and Gerrard were both terrible, not sure what game people were watching!

The midfield should have been Carrick and Scholes/Lampard.

Thought JV did ok, nothing out of the ordinary but looked comfortable on the ball and reads the game well.

I hope he's a much better centreback than he is a fullback, because he looked very ordinary at fullback.

do you expect MOM performances from a LB? Didn't see him do anything wrong, and personally I'd have him at LB over Danny "Complain about not getting first team football then fudge up the entire season at first opportunity" Rose if Benny's out.

Can't be bothered with full ratings but I'm always confused when I see Glen Johnson playing for England. He is just dreadful and didn't seem to know what he was trying to do in any part of the pitch.

Parker and Gerrard were both terrible, not sure what game people were watching!

The midfield should have been Carrick and Scholes/Lampard.

England won 1-0, Parker was the DM, he made some tackles, generally looked the least likely to hoof it to Belgium and did his job fine. Gerrard did maybe three offensive things in the match, so I didn't rate him that highly, even though he did his defensive duties ok, he just couldn't keep the ball or do anything with it. It was like he tried to do an impression of Gareth Barry and actually did a worse job.

If we're doing "should have been"s, about half the England team should have been other people. For the record, Lampard is injured, which is why Henderson is in the squad (should have been Mr fudging Blobby for all the good Henderson will do).

-------------

I hope he's a much better centreback than he is a fullback, because he looked very ordinary at fullback.

He looked fudging awesome against Man United as CB in both games, obviously as a LB it's hard to judge him.... Play Kaboul as a RB and you get the same kind of thing.

Vertongen's passing was good, his right foot shot was awful (but how many left footed CBs can shoot well with their right foot? Besides, with just one shot, it's hard to tell if his wrong footed shooting is always that bad...), his defending was good.

I didn't see any glaring faults with his game that will be an issue when he plays CB. His obvious weaknesses were crosses and wrong footed shooting, but as a CB, that shouldn't really matter. His crossing was still better than Walcott's anyway. Without more crosses and right footed shots, it's hard to tell if those are actual weaknesses or were unusual for him. But the fact that he was involved far more than the RB (who was actually a midfield player) says a lot about how much his team trust him on the ball.

I honestly don't know what you were expecting to see from a CB playing LB. If he would have performed like Dani Alves, then it'd have been weird as for Spurs he'll be a CB rather than a super offensive full back.

Someone tell me how Milner is in this squad, starting as a right winger whilst Lennon is sat at home?

It may have something to do with the last world cup exit when he was pictured smoking a giant cigar and looking pleased to be hammered by germany, in one of the worst england performances of all time whilst we all raged into a coma.

If i was the Fa, id never let him back in.

It may have something to do with the last world cup exit when he was pictured smoking a giant cigar and looking pleased to be hammered by germany, in one of the worst england performances of all time whilst we all raged into a coma.

If i was the Fa, id never let him back in.

Not sure if that was a serious comment, but Lennon didn't play in that game and didn't get too much of a look in the whole tournament.

Back