• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Oooooh and that's why.... betting is pointless

I know it's your profession, but who would've bet on that ending Roy?!

Oooooh and that's why.... betting is pointless

I know it's your profession, but who would've bet on that ending Roy?!

Off tonight obviously but would've loved to have seen the odds of 2-3 on 80 minutes. Got an old fella who bets on 3-2 and 2-3 on just about every match going!! Comes in Saturday morning without fail with about 20 handwritten slips headed prem, championship, league 1 etc...odds are usually 22 or 25/1. 25p singles :)

Fans of other clubs don't rate Parker. I didn't rate him before we signed him despite watching him for 10 years or so. Shows what I knew eh??

An excellent point Roy...and for the record, I was right there with you. I knew we needed some presence in midfield, I just didn't want him! I was proven wrong very early in his Spurs career. Right there with you mate...and congrats to Scotty P!

Is this game worth downloading? I've been out all evening and I hear it was decent?

I only watched until the second goal before going to the pub and IMO it was brick. Sounds like from the 85th minute on wards would be a good watch though.

O/T: England's attacking players

In recent years I've struggled to feel much affinity with the English national team, because the players seem like c*nts at worst and people whose company I wouldn't enjoy at best. But regardless of that, is anyone else at all excited about our attacking potential these days?

I'm thinking a fluid front four of:

----------Rooney---------
Young----Johnson---Sturridge

All four of those players are not only of a good quality, but they also have the versatility to play in virtually all of those attacking positions, and so could be swapping ad interchanging on an almost constant basis. I think any defence would struggle to deal with the pace, trickery, movement and goal-threat of that quartet.

With Cole / Baines and Walker / Richards bombing up the wings too, this looks quite formidable to me.

It's probably because of how long he's been playing for us already, we all forget how young he is. But that is shocking that you haven't included Lennon in that post anywhere!

Compared to Spain/Germany/Netherlands/Portugal that's a very ordinary attacking four. Wouldn't be all that excited.

THIS, on the other hand:

---------Heskey-----------
J. Cole - Lampard - Walcott

Mouth watering.

Foreign players often say when they come to the Premier League that they are overwhelmed by the pace and physicality of it all. You'd think, therefore, that the England national team would try and replicate that. But no. Ever since Eriksson, we have based our play around players who like to go for the 40 yard hollywood glamour pass and trying to cram the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Cole and Barry into the starting XI. To try and make these players look good, we've often played with a "target man" to get on the end of their long forward passes. Heskey, Crouch, Cole, Carroll...even Kevin Davies, have all been picked for England.

As soon as we start to base our starting XI around pace, technical ability and raw aggression, things will be a lot better. Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wheelchair, Wellbeck, Johnson, Young, Lennon...these guys are the future. I want to see all of them featuring this summer.

In response to the OP, I still don't see it in Johnson. He might score the odd great goal, but based on the law of averages I'd expect Dawson to score as many if he shot that often.

There's definitely some raw talent there, but he's just as likely to be another Walcott-esque goal kick machine.

I would put Sturridge in the middle with Rooney, playing Young and Lennon wide in affy's favourite formation.

I was thinking about this earlier. Think I'd go for a 4-3-3 with the front 3 being Young, Rooney and Sturridge interchanging. It was the midfield 3 that I was concerned about; I'd guess it would be something like Parker, Gerrard and Barry, but that just doesn't excite me at all. Not a fan of Barry, and Gerrard's going downhill I reckon, and he's the only one there with any creativity to him. Was really struggling to think of another English CAM who's impressed this season.

As soon as we start to base our starting XI around pace, technical ability and raw aggression, things will be a lot better. Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wheelchair, Wellbeck, Johnson, Young, Lennon...these guys are the future. I want to see all of them featuring this summer.

Yep, I fancy England for a cheeky smash and grab raid on the Championships, a la Greece in 2004.

Young has been England's best player a few times

He's kinda forgettable for me, but last night with his snapshot goal against Blackburn he reminded me what a good player he is

So yes Swifty, a front 3 of Young Rooney Sturridge does sound good

But as you say, it is hard to pick a midfield really - the 3 you mentioned just seem very old to play together after a long hard season (Parker Barry Gerrard)

As soon as we start to base our starting XI around .... raw aggression, things will be a lot better. Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wheelchair, Wellbeck, Johnson, Young, Lennon...these guys are the future. I want to see all of them featuring this summer.

None of those have got raw aggression - they're a right bunch of pansies.

I think you may have gone a bit 'Bulldog spirit' here... England have been 'aggressively battling' for years and it got them nowhere - whilst other teams employed subtlety, skill, deft touch and good old fashioned diving to win games against us

Back