• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Let's kick racism out of football...?

That's the only way 'what's coming to you' can be interpreted.

Fair enough, to my limited understanding of the English language, it could be anything from getting verbal abuse back, a shrug and a laughter, getting a good trashing by his/her entire family, or getting your house set on fire - depending upon the personality and mental health of person B.

Verbal abuse is not as bad as physical abuse. Both should be punished but the violent attack should be more severely dealt with - pretty obvious really

As someone who had a caution arrive in the post yesterday for a retailation incident last weekend (in response to a very late challenge) :-", I'm supportive of the black kid.

I've also taught my team to do '99 calls' if we're being kicked out of a game by a nasty side.

I think you've always got to stand up for yourself to any form of attack - physical or verbal. And a 'crime of passion' should be punished less than a pre-mediated one.

99 Calls?

It comes from the Lions tour of South Africa in the mid-70s. The Lions were getting deliberately injured all over the place and the home refs doing nothing, so the Lions started a sort of organised retaliation - basically if one player was attacked then all 15 would retaliate as a group. That way no one can be singled out to be sent off and the ref is warned that he's got to start protecting you or he'll lose control over the whole game. It's very effective.

Both incidents need to be condemned but it always infuriates me how in some cases verbally assaulting someone is deemed more serious than physically assaulting someone. Sticks and stones and all that....

Debatable. Broken bones usually heal but verbal abuse may never be forgotten. I remember John Barnes describing his experiences with England where he was jeered throughout the game by his own support. Then he scored a goal (it may even have been his 'wonder goal' against Brazil) and coming back the team were on the same plane as some of these macarons. Barnes was basically told by one them that England drew 0-0 as 'black goals don't count'. To me, I can understand how you'd remember that more than some physical injuries which healed.

Physical violence is never ever ok as a reply to verbal abuse. Period.

Don't know about the bans, but surely no verbal abuse can be punished as hard as a full blown assault.

Also - what the hell is "defending" himself all about ? Typical serial GBH-chav's excuse. Like "defending my honour". Pure BS imho.

They should be dealt with separately. The player making racist remarks should be banned from playing in that league and his team shouldn't allow him to play football again. The other player should have an extended match ban.

It's a shame that the player had to resort to violence. People will react in different ways but he could have highlighted the player and had an impact on the sport by reacting in a calm(ish) manner. I'm one for being the bigger person...physical violence is generally no better than verbal and makes the victim look as bad as the racist.

Of course, that is easy me to say as I've never been on the end of a racist taunt.

I'm ginger (I understand it's not a race) and if I'd reacted violently every time I'd received verbal abuse from some macaron for just being ginger, I'd be typing this from a cell (I'm not - for the record!). Some people, me included, use humour as response when someone feels the need to point out our hair colour - it's healthier and you don't end up giving or taking a beating.

Violence is rarely the answer and if the player had just pointed out the racist and refused to play on until action was taken, his stance would have been widely applauded and may have resulted in a stronger penalty being applied to the racist.

If you cross the line racially or even abusing someone on the street without provocation then you get what's coming to you - tough.

IMHO the issue is the footballing authority

If Player B knew Player A would get more than a slap on the wrist, maybe he would react differently

As I read the text, the FA of Iceland did exactly treat the incidents separately; One ban based on racist abuse and one based on violent assault.

Is football racist?

On bbc now - watched it before but well worth watching again

I watched Clarke Carlisle front some show recently don't know if it's the same documentary.

He interviewed John Barnes who genuinely believes he wasn't given more time in management simply because of the colour of his skin. I find that amazing frankly. I'd say it was cos he wasn't good enough personally.

He really went down in my estimation after that comment.

I watched Clarke Carlisle front some show recently don't know if it's the same documentary.

He interviewed John Barnes who genuinely believes he wasn't given more time in management simply because of the colour of his skin. I find that amazing frankly. I'd say it was cos he wasn't good enough personally.

He really went down in my estimation after that comment.

There's plenty of brick white managers who get chance after chance to prove themselves.

It does seem that there are less opportunities for black ex-players to break into management and that those that fail in their first job have less chance of getting another chance at another club than a white ex-player might.

Yep it's the same show. He didn't do very well but made a very good case for the side of the argument that he didn't do well and was fired and 4 years on he still hadn't received another offer (or something like that) but how many managers perform dreadfully and get fired and are still out of work years later?

It was the bit on now about Asian players I found most interesting

There's plenty of brick white managers who get chance after chance to prove themselves.

It does seem that there are less opportunities for black ex-players to break into management and that those that fail in their first job have less chance of getting another chance at another club than a white ex-player might.

Walob.

Absolute rubbish. Less opportunities? They can apply just the same as any manager can. Just because there are only a handful doesn't prove anything!! I don't know why there aren't many black managers but they've got 92 league clubs to apply for if/when they become available the same as anyone else in management!

There was a county team of all Asian players and even their captain who broke records at that level didn't get any offers from clubs which is unheard of... Again I'm mentally paraphrasing from my memory of seeing this lat time around

That's exactly the point that gets made

Back