• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Kick Racism Out Of Football boycott

Well, if the clubs aren't going to discipline their players or the FA hand out proper punishments.

Congratulations John and Chelsea.

Indeed, the weekend's events seem to have taken the pressure off Terry and Chelsea. That's why I think the protest against Kick It Out was misconceived.

Indeed, the weekend's events seem to have taken the pressure off Terry and Chelsea. That's why I think the protest against Kick It Out was misconceived.

Simple fix, just rename the campaign "Kick John Terry". Support and funding would explode ten fold over night, racial barriers would get obliterated under our universal hate for John Terry. Mankind would move forward in unity and all defence budgets would be put towards global philanthropic projects for the greater good of all.

It's why i think the protest, if you want to call it that, helps highlight the issue further.

The Kick It Out initiative isn't backed properly from the top, and clubs don't seem to care enough to enforce it. Liverpool fought to the end, Suarez didn't think he did anything wrong. Terry has basically got away with it, a few games off and comes back as if everything is fine. Blatter even says that a handshake at the end of the game is enough. Ferguson says Rio not wearing a shirt is embarrassing for him.

These 4 examples show that people don't respect the messages. Kick It Out is a nice idea, if it isn't going to be embraced then it should be dropped - otherwise the players supporting it, those who feel genuinely wronged, are sacrificing their own principles and backing a cause they don't believe in.

If the players had worn the shirts it would give the impression that things are fine. They aren't fine, clearly.

I'd like to see a new campaign where some players publicly ask the FA to agree to a minimum punishment for racist behaviour that actually means something 6-12 months ban would be good.

They should make the FA explain publicly why they won't agree if they won't. The kick it out campaign was great for awareness, but someone needs to put those at the top under public pressure to go that last step and properly eradicate it.

1026:
FOOTBALL
John Terry will be asked by Uefa to wear an anti-racism armband if he captains Chelsea against Shakhtar Donetsk tomorrow. All club captains will be asked to wear a 'United Against Racism' armband as part of a week of action by the Football Against Racism in Europe anti-discrimination body, Fare.

It's why i think the protest, if you want to call it that, helps highlight the issue further.

The Kick It Out initiative isn't backed properly from the top, and clubs don't seem to care enough to enforce it. Liverpool fought to the end, Suarez didn't think he did anything wrong. Terry has basically got away with it, a few games off and comes back as if everything is fine. Blatter even says that a handshake at the end of the game is enough. Ferguson says Rio not wearing a shirt is embarrassing for him.

These 4 examples show that people don't respect the messages. Kick It Out is a nice idea, if it isn't going to be embraced then it should be dropped - otherwise the players supporting it, those who feel genuinely wronged, are sacrificing their own principles and backing a cause they don't believe in.

If the players had worn the shirts it would give the impression that things are fine. They aren't fine, clearly.

That last argument is where I fail to see the logic. How does wearing the teeshirts give the impression everything is fine? Logically, if everything is fine then there is no need to wear the shirts and wearing the shirts is a statement that everything is not fine.

The protest sends a mixed message when collective action is needed. If everyone is allowed to decide whether there is a problem or not, then we can't criticise Liverpool or Chelsea for making a determination that differs from ours.

Far better would be to support the Kick It Out message and use the media coverage as an opportunity to argue why it needs to go further. Kick it Out has no powers and all they can do is bring awareness. Their campaign has been undermined. What does that serve?

As you say the campaign isn't being backed from the top. So surely the FA, the PL and the clubs should be the real targets of the protest. Instead they have been given a free pass as they are not the ones being asked questions now. Instead of reports questioning why Terry remains Chelsea captain we are reading about the rift between Rio and Fergie.

When people want to oppose something, divide and conquer is a good strategy. Its made easier when the anti-racism campaign does the dividing for them.

1026:
FOOTBALL
John Terry will be asked by Uefa to wear an anti-racism armband if he captains Chelsea against Shakhtar Donetsk tomorrow. All club captains will be asked to wear a 'United Against Racism' armband as part of a week of action by the Football Against Racism in Europe anti-discrimination body, Fare.

are they taking the tinkle, unbelievable

That last argument is where I fail to see the logic. How does wearing the teeshirts give the impression everything is fine? Logically, if everything is fine then there is no need to wear the shirts and wearing the shirts is a statement that everything is not fine.

The protest sends a mixed message when collective action is needed. If everyone is allowed to decide whether there is a problem or not, then we can't criticise Liverpool or Chelsea for making a determination that differs from ours.

Far better would be to support the Kick It Out message and use the media coverage as an opportunity to argue why it needs to go further. Kick it Out has no powers and all they can do is bring awareness. Their campaign has been undermined. What does that serve?

As you say the campaign isn't being backed from the top. So surely the FA, the PL and the clubs should be the real targets of the protest. Instead they have been given a free pass as they are not the ones being asked questions now. Instead of reports questioning why Terry remains Chelsea captain we are reading about the rift between Rio and Fergie.

When people want to oppose something, divide and conquer is a good strategy. Its made easier when the anti-racism campaign does the dividing for them.

Because the impression is of support. Wearing the t-shirt = supporting the campaign. Not wearing the t-shirt = not showing support. Not showing support will draw discussions like this one and plenty others in the media.

Maybe the players feel that by drawing attention through not doing something will earn them the opportunity to comment, rather than going along with it and not causing a stir.

I hope the next round of media coverage will ask those questions, and the division is not about the campaign's supporters and those who chose not to but instead it is about the campaign and why people feel let down by those in charge.

1026:
FOOTBALL

That takes the biscuit.

I'd like to see a new campaign where some players publicly ask the FA to agree to a minimum punishment for racist behaviour that actually means something 6-12 months ban would be good.

They should make the FA explain publicly why they won't agree if they won't. The kick it out campaign was great for awareness, but someone needs to put those at the top under public pressure to go that last step and properly eradicate it.
I'd like to see the PFA agree amongst its membership that they want the FA to hand out far harsher bans for racism, and then ask the FA to implement it. That's if the PFA membership agreed to it, of course.

I'd like to see the PFA agree amongst its membership that they want the FA to hand out far harsher bans for racism, and then ask the FA to implement it. That's if the PFA membership agreed to it, of course.

PFA would be the perfect vehicle for it - not sure how interested in taking up the cause they are though.

The problem is that the PFA have to defend the players. That's why they supported Tevez when he said it was unfair to fine him more than two weeks wages when he skipped off to Argentina for six months.

These cases have been player abusing player though jts, I don't think helping to get tougher sanctions put in place is really a contradiction of them supporting players. It wouldn't mean they have to throw any player accused under the bus, just that if a case is proven then the players would already have accepted that they'll face strong action.

The PFA represent players in many FA disciplinary cases. I suppose they could demand greater punishments and still defend the players, but it doesn't seem to me that its their role. Its the FA and PL who need to make a stance and make the punishments more severe. The PFA could help by not opposing such proposals.

However, the clubs hold the power. The PL can't do anything without support of the clubs and the FA can do little without support of the PL.

We criticise the FA for their mild punishment of Terry: four games and a £220k fine. However the fine is nearly 100 times the maximum fine (£2500) he could have received if found guilty in the criminal trial.

Back