• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Kick Racism Out Of Football boycott

I agree with this. The campaign seems very pretentious with no real goal to eradicate racism.

Agreed.

It's like the hip and trendy t-shirt to wear, but no-one really knows why.

Education on this needs to go a lot deeper than some catch words.

i wouldn't consider 32k a fine to an organisation like lazio, its a rounding error to them

i'd like to see clubs start to take a stand on this, public condemnation of racist fans in the press and banning away fans from those clubs in the future

the lead on this will not come from uefa, it has to come from players and clubs or nothing will ever change

I think the club need to be prepared for Lazio away.
They should write to UEFA and Lazio and ask what assurances both can offer that this will not be repeated.
They should also ask what will happen IF it is repeated in the Olympic Stadium.
If we can, ensure there are independent witnesses available.
Get Channel 5 or whoever to make damn sure these fools get the full on coverage to show the world what they are.
Clear lines need to be drawn and if chants are heard we need to make direct complaints to the stadium police, UEFA representatives and match officials immediately.
The players need to agree when they will come off the pitch.

If it comes to that stage and UEFA dare try to bring us up on disrepute charges we need to counter it with everything we have, get support from the other Premier League clubs, go public, go large. European Parliament. Highlight their failings, have it all timed. Be prepared to take a ban on the chin. Yes, whatever it takes be principled and be proud.

As Rosa Parks showed you have to make a stand on these things and sometimes you have to do it on your own.

I agree with this. The campaign seems very pretentious with no real goal to eradicate racism.
I'm not one to throw the blame on everything I don't like as PC gone mad, it's an unthinking knee jerk but I've never treated THFC's approach to Kick It Out as anything other than a box ticking exercise backed up with photos of Ledley King (usually) with photos of kids with a very carefully considered racially diverse profile. About as relevant to me as anything on X Factor. In other words, sadly, badly contrived. What's the opposite to inspirational?

I haven't seen the slightest evidence that Kick It Out have achieved anything. Social attitudes are changing but not because of Kick It Out.

Last edited:
Agreed. Listening to various media outlets trying to diminish the Suarez and Terry incidents and make apologies for them has sickened me.

Allan Brazil this morning saying it was part of the game whilst interviewing Clark Carlisle. Who put him right!!

I want to see solidarity and direct action from teams, walking off as a team if that's what it needs to drive the point home, not just the black players, not white players coming out in support of their black team mates but doing what I guess every right minded person on this board would do, standing toe to toe with your mates regardless of whether they're black, white, gay, straight or Australian.

Surely if Rosa Parks went out on the limb she did a few footballers can walk off a pitch.

IIRC Guus Hiddink once pulled his team off the pitch in response to racism from the opponent's fans (had was highly praised for it).

Let's kick racism out of football by banning John Terry from ever playing in an England shirt again. Surely that will do much more than any campaign.

I haven't seen the slightest evidence that Kick It Out have achieved anything. Social attitudes are changing but not because of Kick It Out.

Do you really think that an organisation the size of Kick It Out with its budget can eradicate racism?

Racism will only be eradicated when social attitudes change. An organisation like Kick It Out can only help by trying to speed up that change. If there is opposition to eradicating racism in society its very difficult to force change. All a small organisation can do is highlight the problem and argue why is unfair on individuals and bad for society. PR events like the tee-shirt that get national attention help achieve that recognition. I'm sure they can do a better job, most organisations can, but opposing them is not going to help the cause.

I have a simple question. Is it OK for white players to refuse to wear the tee-shirt if they don't thing Kick It Out is achieving anything worthwhile?

Jason Roberts is just trying to make a name for himself... an easy quote anyone doing a story on racism. I'm sure the hard work he puts in now will make sure he has a media career once he finishes playing.

What exactly is 'Kick it Out' supposed to do that it's not doing? It's a marketing campaign, it doesn't have regulatory power. Maybe Roberts doesn't like that 'Kick it Out' don't seem to be interested in him as an 'ambassador'.

If I don't think the players on the pitch aren't trying hard enough or not winning every game, I'm not going to stop supporting them however frustrating it might be.

I think it was John Salako on Sky last night who said that he doesn't believe there is a problem in football anymore. There isn't. The Suarez and Terry cases are a couple of isolated cases and not comparible to what happened in Serbia. I've got a Spurs programme from the early 80's with an article debating the impact black players could have in the future of football... society has come a long way.

Agreed. Listening to various media outlets trying to diminish the Suarez and Terry incidents and make apologies for them has sickened me.

Allan Brazil this morning saying it was part of the game whilst interviewing Clark Carlisle. Who put him right!!

Brazil really is a prat. He's forever saying "I'm sick of it, can't we just forget about it and move on."

I don't think Terry will face any punishment from Chelsea. Any undisclosed fine they give him could be returned in an undisclosed bonus at the end of the season.

Jason Roberts is just trying to make a name for himself... an easy quote anyone doing a story on racism. I'm sure the hard work he puts in now will make sure he has a media career once he finishes playing.

What exactly is 'Kick it Out' supposed to do that it's not doing? It's a marketing campaign, it doesn't have regulatory power. Maybe Roberts doesn't like that 'Kick it Out' don't seem to be interested in him as an 'ambassador'.

If I don't think the players on the pitch aren't trying hard enough or not winning every game, I'm not going to stop supporting them however frustrating it might be.

I think it was John Salako on Sky last night who said that he doesn't believe there is a problem in football anymore. There isn't. The Suarez and Terry cases are a couple of isolated cases and not comparible to what happened in Serbia. I've got a Spurs programme from the early 80's with an article debating the impact black players could have in the future of football... society has come a long way.

I dont think there is a problem IN THE UK. Like you say two incidents involving four players which represents such a small percentage of total players in the premiership and leagues throughout. Its like saying we have a murder issue in the uK as 0.001% of the population have been murdered in the past year. Yeah its 0.001% too many but its not a major major problem. To allow two incidents to negate the progress that has been made over the years is wrong.

Now abroad? thats a different beast entirely - Italians, Eastern Europeans, Spanish etc have all had issues and its those that we need to concentrate on but that kind of falls out of Englands jurisdiction and its more to do with what FIFA, UEFA and any political bodies etc are going to do about it. Fining teams and clubs the same as someones annual salary is brick - you need to fine millions or banning them.

These countries are stuck in the dark ages, the old days but most of all theyre naive and there is a learning curve for them. Its more than just a football thing - its a cultural thing.

I dont think there is a problem IN THE UK. Like you say two incidents involving four players which represents such a small percentage of total players in the premiership and leagues throughout. Its like saying we have a murder issue in the uK as 0.001% of the population have been murdered in the past year. Yeah its 0.001% too many but its not a major major problem. To allow two incidents to negate the progress that has been made over the years is wrong.

Now abroad? thats a different beast entirely - Italians, Eastern Europeans, Spanish etc have all had issues and its those that we need to concentrate on but that kind of falls out of Englands jurisdiction and its more to do with what FIFA, UEFA and any political bodies etc are going to do about it. Fining teams and clubs the same as someones annual salary is brick - you need to fine millions or banning them.

These countries are stuck in the dark ages, the old days but most of all theyre naive and there is a learning curve for them. Its more than just a football thing - its a cultural thing.

Good argument. I wouldn't go as far as saying we don't have a problem but its certainly a lot better than in the past. It will probably never be totally eradicated, but its becoming a much less important issue. However, we can't just say its no longer a problem; we still need campaigns to make sure that the progress that has been made continues.

I think the Terry and Suarez incidents reflect how seriously we take it. Its a rare event and any examples are punished. Terry lost the England captaincy over one comment made in retaliation on a football field, heard by one member of the crowd. It would have been easy to brush the incident under the carpet saying its a he said-she said incident with no conclusive evidence. Instead he was stripped of the captaincy at the cost of losing the England manager (Capello's position should be questioned more). In contrast, compare the reaction of the Serbian FA: denial, blaming Rose, and posting video's on Youtube. The Serbian PM did a better though as he demanded an investigation.

Back