• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

S.Spur, you are fighting a losing battle with rab's boner lol, but seriously, you are at a point a lot of pople get to where you must just feel like your talking to a brick wall, and quite frankly thats all you are doing with him. He is a young lad like you asked it's clear to see, and at that age they think they know best with absolutely no reasoning. I'd ignore him or just humour him.

He 'put himself on the panel.'?

He was probably asked and decided to do it. He has been nothing but gracious since Roy got offered the job. What makes you think he would suddenly change that tack?

More blind Harry hate, twisting every little thing against him to suit your own perception.

There's a lot of people with blind hate as you call it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...over-long-term-future-at-White-Hart-Lane.html

On taking the bbc pundit role : Redknapp, who previously caused himself problems when he criticised Fabio CapelloÔÇÖs tactics on television. He could do without the publicity and certainly do without the potential aggravation.

How dare Jason Burt think along the same line, how dare he, twisting everything against Harry to suit his own perception.

so he is going on holiday and then watching the euros

helloooo, we need to buy some players ???

in the press today,the bbc be staying at home with regards to the euro's the pundits will be up in salford for most of the tournament, meaning harry be in the uk,if thats ok with some of you...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...over-long-term-future-at-White-Hart-Lane.html

On taking the bbc pundit role : Redknapp, who previously caused himself problems when he criticised Fabio Capello’s tactics on television. He could do without the publicity and certainly do without the potential aggravation.

How dare Jason Burt think along the same line, how dare he, twisting everything against Harry to suit his own perception.

Oh brick, a football writer has an opinion that's a bit different to mine. Better change it now to suit him.

He's giving his own negative opinion of Harry going to be a pundit. I read that story this morning too, but I don't have to agree with it. There's been absolutely no indication that Harry is going to stick the knife into Roy, or that he won't be able to conclude deals for the players we need. He's already mentioned that he's learnt from the Capello episode, and he knows Roy personally and respects him so I just can't see it being any aggravation.

As far as I'm concerned, the players know he isn't going to leave them and become England manager. That was the biggest thing undermining the confidence in them and Harry and led to our bad form IMO. Now they know that, he can do what he wants. If the press want to say Harry would have done something differently then whoop-di-do. It makes no difference. There may be a little bit of it in the papers, maybe Harry said he would have took Lennon ahead of Walcott or something...and then a story gets written. At the end of the day though it will be nothing compared to the storm this club has had to put up with over the last few months and will all be forgotten about by the time pre-season rolls around. It's for that reason that I feel people are now just picking up any stick to beat Harry with when it really doesn't matter anymore.

For the record I'm 50/50 about wanting him gone. If we can make good signings this pre-season and push on, and if the players confidence is restored because they know he's not leaving, then I wouldn't mind him staying. But if we can get a younger manager in with new ideas that may be able to make our 4th/5th best team perform like the 3rd, 2nd or 1st best team then I'd be for it. Of course that's no guarentee though. If Harry stays though I think we should give him a new 3 year contract to remove any uncertainty and let him get on with the job. He will have us in the top 6 challenging for the top 4 again next season and I'd be very happy with that, working on the basis that Chelsea aren't going to be as bad as they have been, and that Liverpool are going to improve, and that Saudi Sportswashing Machine will make intelligent buys and remain around a position they deserve to be in.

It's going to be very competitive next season and I'd be happy for Harry to stay as a safe pair of hands to keep us in that mix.

On taking the bbc pundit role : Redknapp, who previously caused himself problems when he criticised Fabio Capello’s tactics on television. He could do without the publicity and certainly do without the potential aggravation.

Lol.....exactly!!! It's just me is it? How dare I question the great leader!

Oh brick, a football writer has an opinion that's a bit different to mine. Better change it now to suit him.

He's giving his own negative opinion of Harry going to be a pundit. I read that story this morning too, but I don't have to agree with it. There's been absolutely no indication that Harry is going to stick the knife into Roy, or that he won't be able to conclude deals for the players we need. He's already mentioned that he's learnt from the Capello episode, and he knows Roy personally and respects him so I just can't see it being any aggravation.

As far as I'm concerned, the players know he isn't going to leave them and become England manager. That was the biggest thing undermining the confidence in them and Harry and led to our bad form IMO. Now they know that, he can do what he wants. If the press want to say Harry would have done something differently then whoop-di-do. It makes no difference. There may be a little bit of it in the papers, maybe Harry said he would have took Lennon ahead of Walcott or something...and then a story gets written. At the end of the day though it will be nothing compared to the storm this club has had to put up with over the last few months and will all be forgotten about by the time pre-season rolls around. It's for that reason that I feel people are now just picking up any stick to beat Harry with when it really doesn't matter anymore.

For the record I'm 50/50 about wanting him gone. If we can make good signings this pre-season and push on, and if the players confidence is restored because they know he's not leaving, then I wouldn't mind him staying. But if we can get a younger manager in with new ideas that may be able to make our 4th/5th best team perform like the 3rd, 2nd or 1st best team then I'd be for it. Of course that's no guarentee though. If Harry stays though I think we should give him a new 3 year contract to remove any uncertainty and let him get on with the job. He will have us in the top 6 challenging for the top 4 again next season and I'd be very happy with that, working on the basis that Chelsea aren't going to be as bad as they have been, and that Liverpool are going to improve, and that Saudi Sportswashing Machine will make intelligent buys and remain around a position they deserve to be in.

It's going to be very competitive next season and I'd be happy for Harry to stay as a safe pair of hands to keep us in that mix.

I mentioned it and you said I was twisting everything to suit my own perception. Now there are other posts and now journo's too saying the same thing.

No wonder I get tinkled off at people.

I mentioned it and you said I was twisting everything to suit my own perception. Now there are other posts and now journo's too saying the same thing.

No wonder I get tinkled off at people.

I didn't mean that you doing it was a bad thing. 'Twisted' sounds bad and I apologise for that. What I mean is that you have an opinion, and you take something that Harry does, and use it to back up that opinion. Just like the journo did. He's presented with a story - that Redknapp will be a pundit at the Euros - and chooses to see the negative of it.

I just choose to see it as not that important at all and quite the storm in a teacup. The speculation definitely affected us these last 3 months IMO and I'm annoyed at that, but he's not going to be England manager any more, so I don't really care about this as it won't have an effect. I'd rather just get behind him now.

We have a great squad especially taking into account the players out on loan. With a couple of additions up front and a centre half we should be challengng for the title. Harry saying we are punching above our weight shows the man's small time mentality. If we are punching above our weight what are Saudi Sportswashing Machine doing level with us then? This is dreamland for spurs supporters we've been so used to dross over the last 20 years that we've got nosebleeds being this high up the table. So many fans feel this is as good as is gets we should be grateful. I think as a club, thanks to Levy, we have been gradually improving, now we are at a cross road. We can coast along every season 5th, 6th or 4th like Arsenaland lose our best players to Sky 4 or we can show ambition get in a world class manager and go for the title ourselves. Anyway in Levy we trust.

I just watched Moneyball - pretty great movie and Oakland Athletic reminded me of Spurs. A bunch of misfits out performing the rivals who have spent a brickload more than us and went on a great winning streak.

We already have a very good Manager, we just need two or three top quality players to help him challenge for the title. Even Mourinho would struggle with our current crop of players

I just watched Moneyball - pretty great movie and Oakland Athletic reminded me of Spurs. :-"A bunch of misfits out performing the rivals who have spent a brickload more than us and went on a great winning streak. We already have a very good Manager, we just need two or three top quality players to help him challenge for the title. Even Mourinho would struggle with our current crop of players

Sorry were you talking about Saudi Sportswashing Machine?:-"

Sorry were you talking about Saudi Sportswashing Machine?:-"

I would hazard a guess that Noocastle spent more than us (yes they did sell Carrol so there is a net spend but we got rid of a fair few also).

Alot of comparisons could be drawn I agree tho.

I just think that with us, we had a bricky start, relatively inadequate summer, hindrances during the season and we find ourselves in a "play off" with Arse and Noocastle for third and fourth - I guess thats what I mean

OK.

Post 4

"where are the redknapp conspirators now? no decision was ever made. no approach was ever made.

oh but 'arry was posturing for a move and fudging us over wasn't he? hahaha what a joke".

Its exactly what he has done. And its raped our season. The results and timing scream that out. 'No approach was made'; you know this as fact, do you?

Why do you find it so hard to believe that Redknapp wasn't approached?

Two reasons why the media can only blame themselves for getting it wrong...

• With all the fuss about how much Capello was paid, which was a massive increase on what previous managers had been paid. Did anyone really believe that the fa were going to pay a large compensation fee??? You don't need to make an actual approach to know that would be the case if they wanted Redknapp. Plenty of people at the fa will have done business with Levy before.
  • For a long time interviews with senior people at the fa have mentioned how the new england manager would be required to get involved with the national football centre in Burton on a day to day basis, have input on all of the age group teams and the training of new coaches. Does that sound like Redknapp to anyone? Thought not.

...and who have they appointed? A manager with a contract running out in June, who lives in the Midlands and has an international reputation as a good coach.

I really feel sorry for Roy Hodgson. He is a football man through and through. Isn't a loudmouth. Good chap. Yet he has entered the dragon like no other England manager before.

Unless he succeeds brilliantly, he will fail spectacularly. No in-between. Hope he hasn't got a weak heart.

Disagree. I'd say expectation of the actual team has never been lower. There is no way that he will be judged particularly harshly on this summer's results.

The problem with a Capello type appointment was that paying top dollar for a massively successful coach obviously raises expectations. There was still the last few player from 'golden generation' hanging around which again, attracts the type of stories that raises the idea that we always have a chance of winning.

Now, the 'star' players of that generation are getting too old or too injured... there's no Beckham around... Hodgson doesn't have to worry about whether Gerrard and Lampard can play together in midfield... he does have the problem of can Terry and Ferdinand play together, but that's mainly because it's accepted that england don't have the right quality of alternatives available.

Amongst the media and public there is a growing understanding that our players simply aren't good enough, where previously all the blame was put on the manager.

Completely disagree. Give it a few weeks and the clamour will begin. Especially if Chelsea win champs league the talk will be that we have good players and it's a cup competition blah blah. If England get hammered and don't make it out of the group they'll get caned.

Completely disagree. Give it a few weeks and the clamour will begin. Especially if Chelsea win champs league the talk will be that we have good players and it's a cup competition blah blah. If England get hammered and don't make it out of the group they'll get caned.

Don't get me wrong, Hodgson has said from his first press conference that we can win it which I think is a bit of a mistake. He's also said that he will pretty much be going to take the same players who qualified which will disappoint a lot of people.

If it goes badly this summer, all of the focus will (wrongly) turn to the national football centre and how that's going to change everything .

Between the lack of star players and the performance in South Africa the stock of the England team really can't get much lower from a marketing / ticket sales perspective. That's why the media have had so much influence in the past, and why the FA have had to react to it. Now, if the media do start to turn on him the FA will just let him get on with the job as they know that long term development is more important.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that Redknapp wasn't approached?

Two reasons why the media can only blame themselves for getting it wrong...

• With all the fuss about how much Capello was paid, which was a massive increase on what previous managers had been paid. Did anyone really believe that the fa were going to pay a large compensation fee??? You don't need to make an actual approach to know that would be the case if they wanted Redknapp. Plenty of people at the fa will have done business with Levy before.
  • For a long time interviews with senior people at the fa have mentioned how the new england manager would be required to get involved with the national football centre in Burton on a day to day basis, have input on all of the age group teams and the training of new coaches. Does that sound like Redknapp to anyone? Thought not.

...and who have they appointed? A manager with a contract running out in June, who lives in the Midlands and has an international reputation as a good coach.

I didn't say he had been approached. Read it again. I don't know either way. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been contacted, possibly clandestinely or by a roundabout route, like via Spice Boy Jamie.

When I stated that "Its exactly what he has done", I was referring to the "arry was posturing for a move" sarcastic comment. If I was referring to the FA's action I would have used 'they'. Again, read it again.

Last edited:

Sadly I agree here, and I like Roy Hodgson. Hope he does well, but I think player power could be his downfall again? (like at Liverpool??? Still, King Kenny is the saviour to follow him.......hahaha!!!)

Disagree. I'd say expectation of the actual team has never been lower. There is no way that he will be judged particularly harshly on this summer's results.

The problem with a Capello type appointment was that paying top dollar for a massively successful coach obviously raises expectations. There was still the last few player from 'golden generation' hanging around which again, attracts the type of stories that raises the idea that we always have a chance of winning.

Now, the 'star' players of that generation are getting too old or too injured... there's no Beckham around... Hodgson doesn't have to worry about whether Gerrard and Lampard can play together in midfield... he does have the problem of can Terry and Ferdinand play together, but that's mainly because it's accepted that england don't have the right quality of alternatives available.

Amongst the media and public there is a growing understanding that our players simply aren't good enough, where previously all the blame was put on the manager.

I disagree with you mate. Once the tournament starts, the expectations will go up. Plus the press 'darling' Redknapp didn't get the job, and they have the knives out. They already have; look at the absurd headline in the Sun about Hodgson's speech impediment, the other day.

Would this be the same "safe pair of hands" that oversaw our shocking crash from grace this season? So bearing in mind that it is, I'm not comfortable with the earlier part of that last line. What if Modric and Bale leave, and thats not beyond the realms of possibility?

More blind faith. Still, Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer.....

Would this be the same "safe pair of hands" that oversaw our shocking crash from grace this season? So bearing in mind that it is, I'm not comfortable with the earlier part of that last line. What if Modric and Bale leave, and thats not beyond the realms of possibility?

More blind faith. Still, Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer.....

Shocking crash from grace? If we win tomorrow we'll be 3rd and on 68 points with 1 match left. Let's judge him over the whole season (and his previous 3) rather than on one bad patch of about 8 games.

Back