• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

Prior to England game:

'Harry, who would you pick? What system? What are our strengths etc?'

England don't play the team/system Harry suggests.....

After the game, Headline:

Hodgson selection and tactics a failure, Redknapp gets it right!!!

Come on!!! Open you bloody eyes people....this is just MORE distraction we don't need.

I would have thought the best place for Harry this summer was next to a pool, relaxing in a year where he's had heart problems and MAJOT stress with a court case.

Redknapp's views at the Euro's will only wind up and distract those who already hate him. For everyone else, no big deal. He'll just do what he always does as a pundit. Say nothing controversial, and call everyone a fantastic player or top top bloke :lol:

I really feel sorry for Roy Hodgson. He is a football man through and through. Isn't a loudmouth. Good chap. Yet he has entered the dragon like no other England manager before.

Unless he succeeds brilliantly, he will fail spectacularly. No in-between. Hope he hasn't got a weak heart.

What about Redknapp?

Can't see how there is anything odd about it mate.

I don't think we did win against Blackburn convincingly. I think we laboured to win, and should have won by far more.

I do blame the players, who should have done better (against a decent side, we would have lost that game IMHO). But who picks the players, implements the tactics.......etc ?

Bolton is a decent win (I said so before . Look back). In fact its a vital win. But there was a wobble period where it could have gone the other way.

My expectations too high????? I don't think so. I want Spurs to be the best, and you don't achieve that by buying Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson.

Maybe its that some peoples expectations are too low. I expect Spurs to compete solidly, and compete for CL places, with the squad we have. Improve it, which we must do, and my expectations will be higher. I would expect any fan to think the same way.

You hire quality, and your peers' expectations will go up in line with that, i.e. results. Any less, and its unacceptable. Unless, of course, you are a banker........

i hear you, except all these characteristics are of teams that have been much mroe successful than us for longer periods. its team like that which come in line with what you've said above

the quality we buy is nowhere near the quality commanded to achieve the kind of results you want

coming back to the blackburn thing, i think i'm geting what you mean confused..did we labour to win (that is struggle to win) ? or should we have won by far more? if its the latter....why? why should we have won by far more if indeed we laboured to win against a team that for all intents and purposes are battling for premier league survival..i.e fighting tooth and nail to not get beaten? you see i'm not sure why you think we should have won by far more...because its relegation blackburn or because its what we actually did on the pitch........how many teams recently have run over blackburn the way you hint we should?

sorry bro, i didnt mean to insinuate that the bolton win was not a positive thing coming from you, just that i thought you should have replaced 'decent' with 'great' or 'fantastic' etc. which i thought it was. Thw wobble period you're talking about? every single team has that sort of period in a vast majority of their games. there is no team that will ALWAYS command a game for the full 90 mins. wobble periods happen because it isnt against a rock that we are playing..its against other people...your assumption is that we put our foot down and they will obey and cause of our quality (or natural footballing superiority) that there is nothing they can do to upset that. its funny but you should take into account that football and human being arent always like that in fact frequently you'll get people that say "No" to things despite their grave circumstances. When Reo-coke scored...did you see his expressions and that of the coach? it was like a spirit came into the stadium and the crowd and everyone got uplifted.....why is that not enough to wobble the 'mighty indestructible' tottenham? are we THAT good that our players mimic teams like city and united? or are we just a good team that can fall prey to other teams determination in a 90 min game. I've seen big men lose the will to cotinue a big fight simply because the little fela is relentless, not afraid AND just determine to keep going until the other guy says he quits or backs down. i dont see why jusat because you or our team wants something to happen that Bolton should just sit there and take it. chances are that , yet another team fighting fo survival, will throw heaven and earth at your feet .....and you may just wobble. correct me if i'm wrong but we did recove r from that wobble in really good style?

actually you can achieve being the best by geting fringe players that dont complain , much like louis saha and nelson, they're fringe players for a reason. Hand on heart......if someone said to you beginning of LAST, "wellbeck will be your fringe striker" what would you have said? and speaking of which why is it alright for ferguson to buy spent forces like owen, wenger to re-sign campbell...and yet us getting saha and nelson is a bad move?

another thing i wanted to add is that you want spurs to be the best.....fair enough..i do to. how about we get there through incremental baby steps...i.e structured organic growth , peice by piece.....as opposed to nwhat i consider a bit unrealistic BAM!!!!!! top four quality players throughout the entire squad. we arent that rich and we arent that plastic. city and chelsea and united can do these ..not us...yet

i do think you are right that perhaps my expectations might be considered low. mainly its because i see culture and systems as inherently the most fundamental ingredients to success..and tottenham do not excel in these at all in the last 15 years..so how can we expect those that do to just step aside .

we should compete solidly? 36 games in and we are 4th
compete for CL? we are doing that 3 seasons rrunning
imporve this squad? EXTREMELY difficult considering the level we have in the starting 11.......the next tier plays Down, not up, but down will invariably NOT be the kind of players that like sitting on the bench..ergo they will not come. if we buy the next tier UP, not down, then our current players will want to leave. this will be the way of things until we buy players with monster contracts or if we start winning the league

all in all i think that we punched above ou weight in the fist half of the season and in the bad months that followed we punched BELOW our weight.......but i would like to stress that eiether way this doesnt mean that we belong in the bracket of teams that makes the "should" in most situations on paper into an acual "did do". its not realistic and perfection or perfect expected scenarios shouldnt be used as a measuring stick for harry o our team. not witout considering all the factors , much like ' playing a team fighting for survival'

Came home from work tonight to some fab news. To celebrate I am taking everyone off my ignore list (there was a lot lol) and I am in such a good mood that I no longer want to smash Harry in the face.

Don't like this feeling

i hear you, except all these characteristics are of teams that have been much mroe successful than us for longer periods. its team like that which come in line with what you've said above

Which what we/all want Spurs to be, I presume.

the quality we buy is nowhere near the quality commanded to achieve the kind of results you want

That upper quality, is the quality we need to be buying, to fight on a level playing field, and that is long overdue. Yes, it costs.

coming back to the blackburn thing, i think i'm geting what you mean confused..did we labour to win (that is struggle to win) ? or should we have won by far more? if its the latter....why? why should we have won by far more if indeed we laboured to win against a team that for all intents and purposes are battling for premier league survival..i.e fighting tooth and nail to not get beaten? you see i'm not sure why you think we should have won by far more...because its relegation blackburn or because its what we actually did on the pitch........how many teams recently have run over blackburn the way you hint we should?

We should have won by far more because Blackburn were totally abysmal, wide open and there to be slaughtered. We didn't take it. This is especially true as goal difference could make a big difference in a couple of weeks.

sorry bro, i didnt mean to insinuate that the bolton win was not a positive thing coming from you, just that i thought you should have replaced 'decent' with 'great' or 'fantastic' etc. which i thought it was. Thw wobble period you're talking about? every single team has that sort of period in a vast majority of their games. there is no team that will ALWAYS command a game for the full 90 mins. wobble periods happen because it isnt against a rock that we are playing..its against other people...your assumption is that we put our foot down and they will obey and cause of our quality (or natural footballing superiority) that there is nothing they can do to upset that. its funny but you should take into account that football and human being arent always like that in fact frequently you'll get people that say "No" to things despite their grave circumstances. When Reo-coke scored...did you see his expressions and that of the coach? it was like a spirit came into the stadium and the crowd and everyone got uplifted.....why is that not enough to wobble the 'mighty indestructible' tottenham? are we THAT good that our players mimic teams like city and united? or are we just a good team that can fall prey to other teams determination in a 90 min game. I've seen big men lose the will to cotinue a big fight simply because the little fela is relentless, not afraid AND just determine to keep going until the other guy says he quits or backs down. i dont see why jusat because you or our team wants something to happen that Bolton should just sit there and take it. chances are that , yet another team fighting fo survival, will throw heaven and earth at your feet .....and you may just wobble. correct me if i'm wrong but we did recove r from that wobble in really good style?

No sure all teams nearly always have a wobble, but fair point. We conceded the equaliser because we went to sleep and Modric was central to that goal being given away. It handed the impetus to Bolton, and the game was swinging their way when we hit them for six, or rather two quick goals. We got the breaks. Spurs need to become more ruthless and clinical in finishing off teams, especially the lower grade opposition. Against 'better' opposition, that sudden swing can be fatal. Look at what has happened to Spurs many times when we have been cruising, and then conceded; at Old Trafford we were 2-0 up (Bent and Modric, IIRC) a few years ago, and suddenly......bang! They get the chance, and the impetus and momentum swings away from us. OK, on that occasion we were robbed by a ref. decision, but we couldn't deal with the momentum-shift. That is the point, and we could have let it slip against Bolton. Its not just against the 'top' sides here, either.

Equally, we just don't score enough, apart from the rare occasion. We need more ruthless and clinical strikers, and this is where we need to invest big. Long overdue.

actually you can achieve being the best by geting fringe players that dont complain , much like louis saha and nelson, they're fringe players for a reason. Hand on heart......if someone said to you beginning of LAST, "wellbeck will be your fringe striker" what would you have said? and speaking of which why is it alright for ferguson to buy spent forces like owen, wenger to re-sign campbell...and yet us getting saha and nelson is a bad move?

Bad move. Not good enough.

another thing i wanted to add is that you want spurs to be the best.....fair enough..i do to. how about we get there through incremental baby steps...i.e structured organic growth , peice by piece.....as opposed to nwhat i consider a bit unrealistic BAM!!!!!! top four quality players throughout the entire squad. we arent that rich and we arent that plastic. city and chelsea and united can do these ..not us...yet

Disagree with your organic growth point. It isn't quick enough. Top opponents will equally strengthen at the same time, so we will have achieved no competitive advantage. We will occasionally unearth a gem (sometimes cheap), like Modric, but it isn't enough alone to make that jump up with the 'elite'. That costs money.

i do think you are right that perhaps my expectations might be considered low. mainly its because i see culture and systems as inherently the most fundamental ingredients to success..and tottenham do not excel in these at all in the last 15 years..so how can we expect those that do to just step aside .

It depends on your way of thinking, and beliefs. Will Chelsea be rattling on about tradition and history if they win the CL? Nope, they will be lording in victory. The upstarts will be unbearable. :frown: We won't stand much chance of rising to that challenge until we get new big money backing. Football is big money-orientated now, and that gets the best, which win things. Hand in hand with this is the importance of a top manager, who can attract the top talent. I don't think Redknapp is that. I worry about him being given big money to spend. Look at Dalgleish; spent a huge amont of money, yet Liverpool are zhite. I think he is in the same mould as Redknapp.

The most important cog in any team is the manager. You must get that right first. I don't think we have.

we should compete solidly? 36 games in and we are 4th
compete for CL? we are doing that 3 seasons rrunning
imporve this squad? EXTREMELY difficult considering the level we have in the starting 11.......the next tier plays Down, not up, but down will invariably NOT be the kind of players that like sitting on the bench..ergo they will not come. if we buy the next tier UP, not down, then our current players will want to leave. this will be the way of things until we buy players with monster contracts or if we start winning the league

Ditto previous point. We are 4th, but we should be solidly in the top 3 after the earlier season, and possibly challenging for the title. The collapse has changed all that. We had the huge opportunity with Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverppol all being way out of sorts and we have blown it. Better players after winning the league? We need them to win it.

all in all i think that we punched above ou weight in the fist half of the season and in the bad months that followed we punched BELOW our weight.......but i would like to stress that eiether way this doesnt mean that we belong in the bracket of teams that makes the "should" in most situations on paper into an acual "did do". its not realistic and perfection or perfect expected scenarios shouldnt be used as a measuring stick for harry o our team. not witout considering all the factors , much like ' playing a team fighting for survival'

We really should be despatching teams like Wolves, Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, and even Fulham, home and away, but we still struggle. A better manager than Harry, with our current players, would IMHO. Good post though.

so he is going on holiday and then watching the euros

helloooo, we need to buy some players ???

so he is going on holiday and then watching the euros

helloooo, we need to buy some players ???

What do you think Harry is gonna do whilst here in UK?

As has been mentioned many a time - Harry gives Levy a list of players and its Levy that negotiates.

Also Harry can scout whilst he is out there.

Sheffieldspur agree with everything you have posted. The balance and talent we have in the midfield at the moment is the best I've seen since '87. Remember Jol finished 5th with a midfield of Jenas, Zokora and Tainio! That was when the Sky 4 included Mourinho's Chelsea and Man Utd had Ronaldo. This season is the weakest Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd seasons for years - no way are we punching above our weight. Against Blackburn on Sunday I thought we were especially poor in the final third did not look like scoring again after VDV's opener. Couldn't understand how disorganised and low on confidence we looked. Fortunately Blackburndid not show up.
Can't forgive Harry for losing focus at such a critical time because he was dreaming of the England job. I'd like to know how Levy feels - not best pleased I imagine. By the way Spurs have spent more on agents than anyone else in Premiership. Anyone who has read about Harry's history will not be surprised. Whereever we finish I still hopewe can upgrade on him.

Sheffieldspur agree with everything you have posted. The balance and talent we have in the midfield at the moment is the best I've seen since '87. Remember Jol finished 5th with a midfield of Jenas, Zokora and Tainio! That was when the Sky 4 included Mourinho's Chelsea and Man Utd had Ronaldo. This season is the weakest Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd seasons for years - no way are we punching above our weight. Against Blackburn on Sunday I thought we were especially poor in the final third did not look like scoring again after VDV's opener. Couldn't understand how disorganised and low on confidence we looked. Fortunately Blackburndid not show up.
Can't forgive Harry for losing focus at such a critical time because he was dreaming of the England job. I'd like to know how Levy feels - not best pleased I imagine. By the way Spurs have spent more on agents than anyone else in Premiership. Anyone who has read about Harry's history will not be surprised. Whereever we finish I still hopewe can upgrade on him.

Agents fees are Harry's fault? I thought Levy dealt with all that side of things?

And why are people hellbent on comparing Jol and Redknapp?

Moonlit

Youre fightin a losing battle dude - I am unsure some of these people just cannot comprehend the idea that it IS actually Levy that deals with all negotiations. The idea cannot be grasped by some

But Redknapp has accepted a role with the BBC to cover matches during the tournament.
Redknapp will now offer an insight into the matches in Poland and Ukraine.
The BBC team will be headed by frontman Gary Lineker.

brick decision from BBC and just unprofessional and stupid from Redknapp to accept; if he's still our manager for next season, when this one's done, Levy should put his foot down regarding this.

Moonlit

Youre fightin a losing battle dude - I am unsure some of these people just cannot comprehend the idea that it IS actually Levy that deals with all negotiations. The idea cannot be grasped by some

I'm not sure this is strictly true in our case DHSF. Remember, when Arry became manager, Poyet, Ramos and Commolli all got the bullet. It was reported and is obvious that Redknapp didn't want interference, and wanted to run the ship. So no DoF. Whilst Levy undoubtedly does the talking ?ú's, I bet Arry has a hefty input leading up to that.

No sure I would let him near any agents though. =;

First time I have used it actually. I used it because the poster made an issue where I wasn't sure of it.

Out of interest, how old are you?

a/s/l??

wtf does it matter? no i won't date you.

to try and understand your reasoning; because i don't agree with your flagrantly biased and inflammatory views, i must be juvenile?

riiight, good one pal.

a/s/l??

wtf does it matter? no i won't date you.

to try and understand your reasoning; because i don't agree with your flagrantly biased and inflammatory views, i must be juvenile?

riiight, good one pal.

OK.

I don't agree with your reasoning because you appear to have none. In fact, IMO, you are one of the blindest blind faith phalanx on this MB. You quote opinion as fact. When I give opinion, I generally use IMHO. You don't.

Lets look at some examples of your posts on this thread:

Post 4

"where are the redknapp conspirators now? no decision was ever made. no approach was ever made.

oh but 'arry was posturing for a move and fudging us over wasn't he? hahaha what a joke".

Its exactly what he has done. And its raped our season. The results and timing scream that out. 'No approach was made'; you know this as fact, do you?

or

Post 17

"I am not saying that he wouldn't have considered, of course he would. What I am saying is that he wasn't going BEHIND the clubs back, like so many were suggesting, posturing for the job, whoring himself out so to speak..

The flimflam that has ensued following the Capello departure has been 90% media and journalist generated, you can't blame redknapp for printing papers can you?"

Opinion expressed as fact. If you believe the above, you are niave beyond belief.

or

Post 23

"have a look at the press conference i posted in the 'get behind redknapp' thread and you will see he certainly doesn't talk brick".

Again. You are niave beyond belief.

In summary. Clearly your main source of 'facts' is what you are spoon fed by the media. Unless you have direct contact with Redknapp (and I have seen no evidence of that), I would be careful what you believe as gospel. And I don't think that its opinion to say that Redknapp has huge links with the media, whom he manipulates and uses to his own advantage. He has done it for years. To the point of being his trademark. The media just love story. It sells copy. Doesn't mean its the truth though.

Did you believe the Sunday Sport headline of:

"Adolf Hitler is alive and running a disco on Mars!"

or

Elvis is alive and well, and was spotted test-driving a Skoda in Bristol!"

An acute example maybe, but other tabloids/redtops are just a higher class of lying, without the humour. Have you seen the phone hacking scandal currently going on?

Yes, I do think you are juvenile, because of your niavety.

Think we can both agree on your date 'issue', though. I don't think the wife would approve.......

Back