• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

What a lack of respect for our club, this story is turning out to be. Come on Harry, if you respect us, tell them to fudge off.

Absolutely disgraceful. I could understand the media whipping up their customary frenzy, but professional Premier League footballers arrogantly dismissing our chances of keeping him at the helm and trying their level best to get him appointed? A fudging disgrace.

@ Hootnow

He walked out on Liverpool because ultimately he never coped with Hillsboough, mentally. Huge difference too.

So what if played for them? How did that serve Hoddle and Ossie here?

The fact is, that there is a difference between hostliity/abuse and support, and the effect it will have on someone. (Is this really in question?)

Which is why I say that I believe it MIGHT have made a difference, when you factor in Harry's progress and relationship with the staff at Spurs. It might have at the very least been a dilemma for him, rather than a decision he makes in one second.

they were forced out. They would never have left Spurs just like you are saying Dalglish would never leave Liverpool

Harry Redknapp has no loyalty to Spurs whatsoever. Just like he reminds us, and rightly so, footballers want to play for the best clubs, win trophies and go where there is the most money.

He wont leave Spurs because not enough of us sang his name or appreciated him in the last 4 years. He will go because the temptation to manage England is way too big. He seems to want the job so how can he turn it down if offered.

he has done a great job at Spurs, and he knows the majority of fans are appreciative. Where has been the hostility and abuse, especially at the grounds, at games. Forget about messageboards, i doubt he knows what a messageboard is. Redknapp is an old school football man, has his traditional ways of doing things, and he knows deep down that the Tottenham/Redknapp story has been an overwhelming success. He can leave with his head held high

Fellaini is a good player and Beckford was also not a bad signing. Lets also not forget he signed Tim Cahill for around a mill, Lescott for around 5m,, and Jagielka for around 4m, and all were gambles that paid off from the lower leagues. His transfer record isn't shocking at all.

He spent more than 18 million pounds on Marouane Fellaini. To put it in perspective, our record transfer fee remains 16.5 million quid. For who? Luka Modric. You know, the best recycler of possession in the league, hailed by one and all as one of the most creative, talented players in the modern game? Yeah, that Modric. So we got him for 16.5 million quid, and Moyes then goes and spends 1.5 million more on Marouane bloody Fellaini, who, while a good player by PL standards, is certainly nowhere near Modric in terms of ability or vision. But he's a midfield destroyer! I hear you cry. He was never meant to play Luka's role! Well, we bought Sandro for eight million quid and I'd suggest that he is equal to, or certainly very close to, Fellaini's level of ability. So I think we can lay to rest the theory that Fellaini was worth eighteen million pounds.

Oh, and may I throw Rafa Benitez's hat into the ring? Criminally underrated by English fans in general, I feel. The man was the last manager to wrest the La Liga title away from the Barca-Real duopoly,won the UEFA Cup,won the Champions League with a frankly horrible Liverpool squad by today's standards, then won the FA Cup, and then again got all the way to the 07 CL final, and regularly dished out memorable spankings to the likes of Chelski, United and Real on his European travails. Plus he kept Liverpool challenging near the top for as long as he received some modicum of support from the board, though even he couldn't prevent the car-crash that occurred once Alonso et al departed. Same story at Inter; won the Club World Championship and was doing better than most of the managers that have followed him into the Giuseppe Meazza when he was sacked after demanding that the board release some funds to sign a couple of squad options, which Inter badly needed at the time ( I think there were seven or eight first-team players injured when he was given the boot). The likes of Leonardo, Gasperini and Ranieri couldn't keep that team going, so it's a vindication of his time at the club, in a way. So yes, I think he's a fantastic manager, and would love him at Spurs if Harry left.

thats a joke -right?

so no you can't throw his hat in the ring, if I was allowed to answer the question.

I think he would spend us into oblivion and produce a rubbish result

He spent more than 18 million pounds on Marouane Fellaini. To put it in perspective, our record transfer fee remains 16.5 million quid. For who? Luka Modric. You know, the best recycler of possession in the league, hailed by one and all as one of the most creative, talented players in the modern game? Yeah, that Modric. So we got him for 16.5 million quid, and Moyes then goes and spends 1.5 million more on Marouane bloody Fellaini, who, while a good player by PL standards, is certainly nowhere near Modric in terms of ability or vision. But he's a midfield destroyer! I hear you cry. He was never meant to play Luka's role! Well, we bought Sandro for eight million quid and I'd suggest that he is equal to, or certainly very close to, Fellaini's level of ability. So I think we can lay to rest the theory that Fellaini was worth eighteen million pounds.

I think Fellaini was 15m.

Anyway it's still bogus to say his transfer dealings are bad. He's made some good signings.

Why do think he lost his rag over the idiots calling Talkbrick?

Despite what some people think, he doesnt just fly from Sandbanks to WHL and is shut off from the rest of the world.

Im not sure what people are'nt listeng to.

I didnt say giving him support all along would have made him stay, but to say it couldnt have made a difference if that amount of people had not spat venom at him over the last three years is ludicrous.

Are people saying that giving players and managers support or abuse doesnt have an effect on their feelings towards their club? You dont know Harry Redknapp. You see the bravado, and the character, and the reputation.

To say you know it wouldnt have helped make his decision is baseless.

Oh, and may I throw Rafa Benitez's hat into the ring? Criminally underrated by English fans in general, I feel. The man was the last manager to wrest the La Liga title away from the Barca-Real duopoly,won the UEFA Cup,won the Champions League with a frankly horrible Liverpool squad by today's standards, then won the FA Cup, and then again got all the way to the 07 CL final, and regularly dished out memorable spankings to the likes of Chelski, United and Real on his European travails. Plus he kept Liverpool challenging near the top for as long as he received some modicum of support from the board, though even he couldn't prevent the car-crash that occurred once Alonso et al departed. Same story at Inter; won the Club World Championship and was doing better than most of the managers that have followed him into the Giuseppe Meazza when he was sacked after demanding that the board release some funds to sign a couple of squad options, which Inter badly needed at the time ( I think there were seven or eight first-team players injured when he was given the boot). The likes of Leonardo, Gasperini and Ranieri couldn't keep that team going, so it's a vindication of his time at the club, in a way. So yes, I think he's a fantastic manager, and would love him at Spurs if Harry left.

I'd rather have Roberto Martinez

You've gotta be joking

Oh - and that 2005 Liverpool side would drop an big'ol mighty dump on the current one in terms of squad quality so I'm not sure why you've deemed it 'terrible' by today's standards. Players like Jay Spearing, Jonjo Shelvey (lol), Charlie Adam, Stuart Downing, and Jordan (had a few decent games for Sunderland) Henderson wouldn't make his bench. Not fit to lace Alonso or Gerrard's boots of 7 years go. They've gone from a good-to-watch attacking side to utter, utter one dimensional cloggers.

Last edited:
thats a joke -right?

so no you can't throw his hat in the ring, if I was allowed to answer the question.

I think he would spend us into oblivion and produce a rubbish result

That's funny, I always imagined that his net spend was fairly reasonable by PL standards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-during-his-six-year-reign-at-Liverpool.html

78 million quid isn't too bad over six years, especially considering that he had to turn a team of donkeys into CL winners and PL title contenders. We're already close to a genuine title bid; a couple more players and we're there. So I don't see the 'spend us into oblivion' argument. He'd certainly spend less than Mourinho would, and his wages would be a lot less as well.

Secondly, produce a rubbish result. Like I said, two La Ligas, one UEFA Cup, one Champions League, one FA Cup and another appearance in the Champions League final, plus finishing just four points behind United in 09, scoring 77 goals and letting in only twenty-seven during that campaign. Seems like a reasonable track record to me. Certainly looks better than that of ,say, Owen Coyle. Or Roberto Martinez. Or Brendan Rodgers. Or David Moyes. In fact, come to think about it, it's better than the records of Klopp and Deschamps too. So, why exactly is he a bad idea again?

I think Fellaini was 15m.

Anyway it's still bogus to say his transfer dealings are bad. He's made some good signings.

He's made decent signings when the fee (and correspondingly, the risk) involved has been low. The big money buys, Bilyaletdinov and Fellaini being examples, weren't really worth the money he paid for them imo. Even if Fellaini was bought for 15 million quid, that's still 7 million more than we paid for Sandro, who's younger and considerably faster.

I will say though that I agree with your overall point on loyalty and have said it many times before. Fans have zero loyalty towards players or managers really. Chairmen likewise. And players and managers have little loyalty to their club or their fans.

We're stuck in a never-ending cycle of disloyalty. :D

my man love for you will never die
(In a firm handshake, slap on the back kind of way)

he has always said any englishman offered the England job would find it impossible to turn down. Thats all anyone needs to know. Fair play to him for his honesty

He's made decent signings when the fee (and correspondingly, the risk) involved has been low. The big money buys, Bilyaletdinov and Fellaini being examples, weren't really worth the money he paid for them imo. Even if Fellaini was bought for 15 million quid, that's still 7 million more than we paid for Sandro, who's younger and considerably faster.

Feliani has been pivotal for them since joining - how can he possibly be deemed 'bad' signing?

I'd agree with totman, actually. We haven't really warmed too much to Harry, for reasons unknown. The Wigan game, the Burnley game (after we'd secured fourth) and a couple of CL games are the only ones I really remember where sustained chants of support for Redknapp went around the stands. Other than that, our attitude towards him has by and large been lukewarm, and it's no surprise that it may now come back to bite us on the arse. A lesson to all of us (me included) to back the man in charge, for as long as humanly possible.

Why do think he lost his rag over the idiots calling Talkbrick?

Despite what some people think, he doesnt just fly from Sandbanks to WHL and is shut off from the rest of the world.

Im not sure what people are'nt listeng to.

miniscule minority

36000 homes fans, 4000 away fans have never abused him

Feliani has been pivotal for them since joining - how can he possibly be deemed 'bad' signing?

For a club like Everton, fifteen million quid isn't just loose change found down the back of the chairman's sofa. Every pound counts, and for that price he could have bought two Sandros. Or maybe three Parkers. Or maybe 95 percent of a Luka Modric. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there were cheaper deals with greater value that could have been made with that money, as we've proved over the last few windows.

As I said before, we need a top top manager who is used to winning major things.

It has took us long enough to get to these nose bleed heights we shouldn't be willing to jeopardise it by installing a manager with no experience of managing big name players.

For a club like Everton, fifteen million quid isn't just loose change found down the back of the chairman's sofa. Every pound counts, and for that price he could have bought two Sandros. Or maybe three Parkers. Or maybe 95 percent of a Luka Modric. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there were cheaper deals with greater value that could have been made with that money, as we've proved over the last few windows.

May be there weren't cheaper deals at the time and most certainly there weren't any Sandros. May be Sandras.

Anyway - I'm sure if you ask any Toffee fan they'd would deem Felianin a good overall purchase considering what he's done for them since joining.

We've had far worse than that over the years - Bentley, Gio, Wilson (bar his first 6 months), etc. - players who've had virtually no impact in comparison

That's funny, I always imagined that his net spend was fairly reasonable by PL standards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-during-his-six-year-reign-at-Liverpool.html

78 million quid isn't too bad over six years, especially considering that he had to turn a team of donkeys into CL winners and PL title contenders. We're already close to a genuine title bid; a couple more players and we're there. So I don't see the 'spend us into oblivion' argument. He'd certainly spend less than Mourinho would, and his wages would be a lot less as well.

Secondly, produce a rubbish result. Like I said, two La Ligas, one UEFA Cup, one Champions League, one FA Cup and another appearance in the Champions League final, plus finishing just four points behind United in 09, scoring 77 goals and letting in only twenty-seven during that campaign. Seems like a reasonable track record to me. Certainly looks better than that of ,say, Owen Coyle. Or Roberto Martinez. Or Brendan Rodgers. Or David Moyes. In fact, come to think about it, it's better than the records of Klopp and Deschamps too. So, why exactly is he a bad idea again?

He showed at Liverpool that he could turn a talented pool of players into a directionless team of turkeys and he took over Milan, the European champions capable of beating Barca into a team that nearly spunked a 4 goal lead to us, got humiliated by us and exited the competion with their tails between their legs. Winning a meaningless competition against the finest from New Zealand and Japan means nothing.
Not to me anyway.
Its my personal feeling that he would take the current side and tinkle aroiund with it, and turn it into a mid table team that wins nothing, ie take us back to the 90's

I said it earlier that I would have Neil Warnock, and whilst it was tongue in cheek, I can tell you that I would definitely have him before Benitez. The savings on salaries alone would be impressive, and I think Warnock knows how to unify a team and make them fight for each other and punch above their weight.
My only misgiving is that he's not used to handling the top end prima donnas, whereas Harry was with the ageing goldenboys he had at pompey.

Back