• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

Really mate? I've been supportive of Redknapp from day 1, been behind every one of his signings (well, other than Nelsen, that still baffles me but that is for a different thread). But I've always been more than aware of Harry's wandering eye, he's not exactly the most loyal of managers is he?

Our 'affection' towards him would have made little difference. Redknapp's decision now will be based solely on what he thinks is best for him and his legacy. Does he continue with this Spurs team, possibly take us to our highest PL finish and win a trophy, thus cementing his position as one of our best managers? Does he feel he can maintain us at this level? Or does he go for the job that's always been his dream, to manage his country? But then again, this seems to be a poisoned chalice.

Either way, I'll say fair play and thanks for the job Harry. You've put us in an excellent position and if you leave, no hard feelings whatsoever, I hope you do an excellent job with England and have a fruitful, relaxed retirement. You deserve it.

But, us singing his name every game, fawning about him etc etc, would have made no difference.

Im saying it COULD have had an effect.

Put it this way: Do you think that a large number of fans being hostile and abusive and never accepting him COULD have an effect on how he feels about the club?

If so, why wouldnt it have an effect the other way? He made it clear how much the Wigan game support meant....are you saying that three years of feeling backed, and supported by all the fans ( not "fawning") wouldnt have made him feel any different than three years with a large number of our fans wanting him out....despite his achievments?

Theres a reason Dalglish will never walk out on Liverpool. Despite them being a complete bunch of deluded pr#cks, there is a human factor there. A bond between manager and fans.

Last edited:
Surprised you mentioned Coyle - what do your regard in him as a good manager?

Personally I'd say he's on Sparky's and Martinez level but below MON

Not imo. I think he's a great motivator which is what we need. Not doing good this season but on the whole i think he's a very good coach that gets his team playing good football. Think players like Luka and VDV will like him as much as they like Arry and want to do well for him.

That tells me that Spurs will not let him juggle two jobs which basically means bye bye Arry.

Yes, though he'd leave in May. England only have the Netherlands game at the end of Feb between now and the end of the season so there isnt really any rush. Think the FA will look to make an appointment in March or April with the new guy to take over in May. We'll put Harry on an incentive package so that he is committed to us for the rest of teh season and then start working on who the new man will be. We're in a far better position than we were before when it looked like we'd lose him after the European Championships in July/August

Rio at it now - Twitter
"I think we need an English manager now, we don't need anything else lost in translation....Harry Redknapp would be my choice by a distance."

Time for all the Spurs players to start tweeting red-nose is the only logical choice.

Im saying it COULD have had an effect.

Put it this way: Do you think that a large number of fans being hostile and abusive and never accepting him COULD have an effect on how he feels about the club?

If so, why wouldnt it have an effect the other way? He made it clear how much the Wigan game support meant....are you saying that three years of feeling backed, and supported by all the fans ( not "fawning") wouldnt have made him feel any different than three years with a large number of our fans wanting him out....despite his achievments?

Theres a reason Dalglish will never walk out on Liverpool. Despite them being a complete bunch of deluded pr#cks, there is a human factor there. A bond between manager and fans.

I think he'd like the club and fans more. But Redknapp makes decisions based on what's best for him, always has. Hence managing West Ham and Tottenham, despite being an Arsenal fan. Hence managing Pompey, then leaving them for Southampton, then going back to Pompey.

Dagleish played for Pool for 13 years, its hardly the same situation. And he did walk out on them didn't he?

He is being sounded out by everyone now. The dreams done. Let's get Johnnie Jackson and Dean Marney back while we still can.

for me, Spurs trumps England, so ill be pretty tinkled if he goes.

it would be understandable but I think hes on the verge of having a trophy winning side here, as opposed to becoming a public hate figure as soon as he draws with latvia

Everton have given Moyes money in the past. He spent ?ú18m on Fellaini, ?ú9m on Bilyaletdinov and actually thought Jermaine Beckford would be a decent PL option. His transfer record is shocking, and his teams play like brick.

On another note, it really upsets me how other teams players and pundits can just decide that our manager, who is under contract, should leave poxy Tottenham to join such eternally remembered names as Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren, Eriksson and Capello; all of whom will be remembered as wonderful managers.

@ Hootnow

He walked out on Liverpool because ultimately he never coped with Hillsboough, mentally. Huge difference too.

So what if played for them? How did that serve Hoddle and Ossie here?

The fact is, that there is a difference between hostliity/abuse and support, and the effect it will have on someone. (Is this really in question?)

Which is why I say that I believe it MIGHT have made a difference, when you factor in Harry's progress and relationship with the staff at Spurs. It might have at the very least been a dilemma for him, rather than a decision he makes in one second.

I think Harry is torn on the matter. I think he knows this is a golden opportunity, a chance to manage his country and a massive pay rise.

On the other hand, he is at the one club he would probably have of achieving success and maybe a league. When I say this I mean I doubt City, United, Arsenal or Chelsea would ever go to Harry. I think he loves it at Spurs.

I think if he had some guarantee he could stay at Spurs for a few years and then go to England he might consider it, but he's no spring chicken.

He knows the job is a poison chalice... IF you fail. But I'm sure he is dreaming of the glory. This is a quick fire way to be remembered as one of the great managers. To bring success to your country. fudge. I think he's done.
Where do we go from here. How do we convince Luka and Bale and co that they can achieve everything here when we allow our manager to go.

Coyle? Rodgers? Surely you jest, fellas. When we appointed Harry, we gave him a simple brief- keep us in the Premier League, and then push on once that's done. He over-achieved tremendously, and took the club up a couple of rungs on the European ladder. Where previously the likes of Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Mourinho et al were never going to want to come to the Lane, there is now probably going to be a surfeit of very talented managers who would love to take on the job at Spurs. I'm talking about the likes of Jurgen Klopp, Bundesliga winner with Dortmund, Didier Deschamps, Ligue Un champion with Marseille, and hell, even the likes of Hiddink and Capello, vastly experienced managers who've won most of what there is to win. When we have such an abundance of options to choose from should Harry leave, why anyone would want to go for Owen Coyle, who's got three (maybe four) seasons of relegation-battling experience under his belt, or Brendan Rodgers, who may well end up the next Phil Brown, should Swansea's form take a dip, is beyond me. Sure, Coyle might be good at motivating players, but so are the likes of Deschamps, Klopp, Allegri and Unai Emery; it's just that they motivate players in languages other than English, a fault which can be easily rectified with a few months' worth of lessons. Just because we got burned once with an overseas appointment doesn't mean we should avoid continental managers like the plague for ever more, especially when the only feasible options in the PL are the relegation-battling Coyle, the slightly unconvincing Rodgers, and the dull-as-dishwater Moyes. (Though it hasn't always been that way at Everton under him; I remember them playing quite eye-catching stuff a few years ago when they still had the likes of Arteta, Pienaar et al.)

Redknapp - England

Mourinho - Emirates Marketing Project

Mancini - Tottenham

if the Mourinho/Mancini thing doesnt happen, then Levy will probably go for Martinez or Moyes.

Everton have given Moyes money in the past. He spent ?ú18m on Fellaini, ?ú9m on Bilyaletdinov and actually thought Jermaine Beckford would be a decent PL option. His transfer record is shocking, and his teams play like brick.

On another note, it really upsets me how other teams players and pundits can just decide that our manager, who is under contract, should leave poxy Tottenham to join such eternally remembered names as Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren, Eriksson and Capello; all of whom will be remembered as wonderful managers.

Fellaini is a good player and Beckford was also not a bad signing. Lets also not forget he signed Tim Cahill for around a mill, Lescott for around 5m,, and Jagielka for around 4m, and all were gambles that paid off from the lower leagues. His transfer record isn't shocking at all.

Rio at it now - Twitter
"I think we need an English manager now, we don't need anything else lost in translation....Harry Redknapp would be my choice by a distance."

Time for all the Spurs players to start tweeting red-nose is the only logical choice.

What a lack of respect for our club, this story is turning out to be. Come on Harry, if you respect us, tell them to fudge off.

Cant help but think if this news didnt cause the outbreak of disgust and anger that it did among so many Spurs fans, and the venom they spouted. Venom which actually continued despite coming 4th, and having a great CL run, which even promted a "Harry Out" movement early this season.

And the general, underlying hostlity that never ever went away for some people, and had we ALL given him a chance, and shown him the apprecition he deserved from day one, when we beat Bolton, then we'd have a better chance of him staying.

The panic and despair among Spurs fans is laughable. Try supporting someone WHILE they are on trial....and WHILE they are doing their job....not after they are cleared, and when you think they are going to leave.

He called some of the Spurs fans idiots, and despite everyone crying like babies about it, he was right. Careful what you wish for (some of you even wished for Coyle and Moyes).

Dont expect someone to show undying loyalty, when you couldnt give it to them, despite the great things he brought to the club.

If he goes, he goes.
Wow, I had completely forgotten that 8 months ago people were calling for Harry to be sacked. Not a quiet minority either. He had 'taken us as far as he can' and should've been sacked in May to allow Ancelotti the whole window to buy his players.

You're absolutely right; you can't call for someone to be sacked when they finish 5th and expect them to turn down their dream job when you're sitting in 3rd.

Oh, and may I throw Rafa Benitez's hat into the ring? Criminally underrated by English fans in general, I feel. The man was the last manager to wrest the La Liga title away from the Barca-Real duopoly,won the UEFA Cup,won the Champions League with a frankly horrible Liverpool squad by today's standards, then won the FA Cup, and then again got all the way to the 07 CL final, and regularly dished out memorable spankings to the likes of Chelski, United and Real on his European travails. Plus he kept Liverpool challenging near the top for as long as he received some modicum of support from the board, though even he couldn't prevent the car-crash that occurred once Alonso et al departed. Same story at Inter; won the Club World Championship and was doing better than most of the managers that have followed him into the Giuseppe Meazza when he was sacked after demanding that the board release some funds to sign a couple of squad options, which Inter badly needed at the time ( I think there were seven or eight first-team players injured when he was given the boot). The likes of Leonardo, Gasperini and Ranieri couldn't keep that team going, so it's a vindication of his time at the club, in a way. So yes, I think he's a fantastic manager, and would love him at Spurs if Harry left.

Back