• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Early days. We're still conceding the odd soft goal, and not scoring enough ourselves. There was a period first half where we were dominant and creating chances.

Nuno needs to develop the character of the side. We lack maturity to turn our good play into results. I don't think Kane played that badly. He did look rusty but he was in the right positions, nothing came off however. Still thought Kane was more involved than Son. Neither excelled.

Nuno needs to find more goals from other players. Ndombele is getting involved more and will get a few goals. But we need Regulion, and Royal, Moura, Skipps and Hojgjerg also contributing. It is early days, only the third time this side have played (?) so they will develop. I thought the performance was better than the result, and I think we'll finish above wham on this showing.

Kane, son and lloris are 3 world class players. Leicester, West Ham and arsenal don't have one between them

Give us a coach who plays high tempo passing football with a defensive press, and this squad suddenly blossoms
They're not world class. Kane was up until this season. Lloris is world class at shot stopping but the rest of his game is poor and stops him being world class.
Son is world class on his day but isn't consistent enough to be world class.

Our first team is good, the squad is ok.
Technically we don't have any bad players, but we either have a huge mentality problem, a team not able or willing to play to a game plan or a coach who isn't getting it across.
These are not bad players.
I'm not buying the unbalanced thing either, played in a system that suited them, and their natural positions this squad has a lot more to give.
We do have bad players. Winks, Dele etc

There was a period first half where we were dominant and creating chances.

My concern is that we're not creating chances. Someone posted some stats yesterday which showed that, apart from Norwich, we've had the fewest shots in the PL this season.

To me that says that creativity is the issue. Looking at our team, we have one inconsistent creative player in the team. Taking the Poch era as a comparison, we generally had two creative players in Eriksen and Dembele (and setting aside the difference between them and Tanguy).

In my view therefore we need to sign a creative forward but in the short term get GLC into the team. That probably means dropping PEH, but to play 4-2-3-1 and get both TN and GLC into the team in central roles, I think we need to do so

My concern is that we're not creating chances. Someone posted some stats yesterday which showed that, apart from Norwich, we've had the fewest shots in the PL this season.

To me that says that creativity is the issue. Looking at our team, we have one inconsistent creative player in the team. Taking the Poch era as a comparison, we generally had two creative players in Eriksen and Dembele (and setting aside the difference between them and Tanguy).

In my view therefore we need to sign a creative forward but in the short term get GLC into the team. That probably means dropping PEH, but to play 4-2-3-1 and get both TN and GLC into the team in central roles, I think we need to do so
Your comparing a peak Poch team though with a Nuno team after 9 league games
We need more creativity
I still say that can be by playing players in their natural position
He has started to do that
I’d also add that the stats you refer too may be miss leading without context
We’re now playing 4-2-3-1 and that’s coincided with more possession, more shots and the two wins before yesterday
That’s a manager learning about his team and changing (a big thing don’t forget)
Look at the stats form the last 3 games and I’d wager were too half at least on the shots and possesion numbers

E8056D84-092D-424A-9B26-514B15AC3F86.jpeg
Can’t find possession stats buy passing stats are normally a sign we had or have the ball abs that’s improved over the 9 games
2B4063AF-1593-465F-92DC-3E4B7756A897.jpeg
we’re losing the ball too easily. The number may be skewed by the London derby games
7A75DEB1-14C3-456B-90E7-19FCFB6CCA1F.jpeg
Shots on target are what matter as their the ones that are goals
We’re not doing too bad on that front

Idk what the XG was for the game yesterday? We didn't miss gilt-edged chances but we did appear to create a few openings. Ones where we didn't get shots off too - Kane dribbling into the area, Skipp dribbling into the box etc. Kane and Son both had square balls that were not accurate, had they been they were tap-ins. Moura could have teed up Son. Ndombele had some openings and there were a couple of headers at the keeper etc.

So I think we were creating openings. My issue was how we control the game. If we are not winning, we should be able to up the temp and control the midfield. We did for a spell in the first half. But there is a lack of leadership to take control of the game, and we have more to come in this regard.

This stable side needs to work on what they do now. We have Moura and Ndombele so there is creativity in equal measure you'd say. But we don't have the passing guile that we had that is evident. The amount of balls to Reggie that didn't connect yesterday... With no Toby, no Eriksen, we miss some passing ability. The first 15mins we were even missing easy passes. It is a big area we need to improve upon. For me, getting another midfielder who can pass is as important as a forward or CB.

Idk what the XG was for the game yesterday? We didn't miss gilt-edged chances but we did appear to create a few openings. Ones where we didn't get shots off too - Kane dribbling into the area, Skipp dribbling into the box etc. Kane and Son both had square balls that were not accurate, had they been they were tap-ins. Moura could have teed up Son. Ndombele had some openings and there were a couple of headers at the keeper etc.

So I think we were creating openings. My issue was how we control the game. If we are not winning, we should be able to up the temp and control the midfield. We did for a spell in the first half. But there is a lack of leadership to take control of the game, and we have more to come in this regard.

This stable side needs to work on what they do now. We have Moura and Ndombele so there is creativity in equal measure you'd say. But we don't have the passing guile that we had that is evident. The amount of balls to Reggie that didn't connect yesterday... With no Toby, no Eriksen, we miss some passing ability. The first 15mins we were even missing easy passes. It is a big area we need to improve upon. For me, getting another midfielder who can pass is as important as a forward or CB.
MOTD2 did a good analysis of it
Second half we didn’t have a shot but it was because we missed some passes to have the shot.. skips one in the area being an example
The xg was 1.73 to 0.67
But the shots that made the most of there’s was the goal and the soucek header 1.08 between them
Kane’s header had an xg of 0.05 so was never likely to go in according to xg

David Moyes is doing the best he can with the squad he has, ditto Potter, but can we actually say the same of Nuno? Methinks not
I think Paritici needs to do some serious noshing off of Ten Hag over the next 6 months and say we have a plan.

There's not much out there at the moment (and we have looked at all of them), but if we can look to sign him before the summer, and before anyone else like Ole is sacked, then we should.

I think Paritici needs to do some serious noshing off of Ten Hag over the next 6 months and say we have a plan.

There's not much out there at the moment (and we have looked at all of them), but if we can look to sign him before the summer, and before anyone else like Ole is sacked, then we should.
But our 0lan isn't going to attractive to him when you consider who else will likely have spoken to him. I do not doubt that Barcelona have made enquiries and whilst they are in the midst of crisis they are still better positioned and a better proposition long term for an ambitious coach.

I have no faith in Nuno

I dont think many are huge believers in him however most are willing to give him a bit of time

Arguably, given that there arent many obvious available managers who fit the bill, we're better off giving him a shot so that we're 1-2 more windows through our rebuild at the time when we hire the next guy, rather than hire him sooner. Its difficult to believe that there won't be more manager options next summer

I dont think many are huge believers in him however most are willing to give him a bit of time

Arguably, given that there arent many obvious available managers who fit the bill, we're better off giving him a shot so that we're 1-2 more windows through our rebuild at the time when we hire the next guy, rather than hire him sooner. Its difficult to believe that there won't be more manager options next summer
Agreed
And it’s very very short sighted to judge a manager on 9 league games
We were there with Poch when he thought he was getting sacked after 9 games and he didn’t turn out that bad

I think we should give Nuno all the support and get behind him. He's not a bad manager. Maybe not as dynamic as some, but extremely decent. Has a record of improving players, and needs time. Whoever is in the hot seat needs to develop this side. Needs to identify the issues and address them. You can only do that with some consistency. At the moment we're playing a consistent team, and the management need to work through the problems. The outstanding question is can they a. identify the issues and b. fix them?

- we lacked a bit of width, and didn't manage to exploit the wide areas. It made us a little narrow yesterday.
- Partly because we couldn't release the FBs.
- Better passing is a must. Our passing was abysmal for the first 10. Kept missing short passes. And even as we settled we couldn't find Regulion on the wing when he was in space.

We have lots of players who are good at dribbling but a lack of passing deftness across the squad. Without Toby, without Eriksen we are missing passers. That limits us, especially when we give the ball away through wayward passes. Is it confidence? Rustiness? Not being used to the team shape and movement? Lack of technical ability?

The team need to get into a rhythm and develop more character. Be determined to impose their game, and spoil the oppositions. We are too shy, too meek in character half the time.

But as for Nuno, he is doing a decent job. Give the guy a break, get behind him, and let him develop the team now we have some stability at last. He has my full backing, he is doing the right thing playing the same side, and working out the issues. Spurs fans seem to have new exulted expectations. Seem more spoilt and impatient. Is it because of the elite stadium? Or that we've had a decade of incremental improvements and now we've faltered? Of course we all share the same frustrations, but to take it out on Nuno, and not give him a fair crack of the whip is churlish.

Last edited:
Back