• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Quite happy with that style away from home and against sides that are better than us at home.

Obviously he will need to show us a more positive hand against the standard fare at home.

I was hoping for a revolution but I guess an evolution will do - player by player.

There was an obvious and defined charm campaign from the Chairman down when Nuno signed, that we were going to see exciting football. Probably designed to go with the fact that all the managers out there who could give us excitement in terms of style were tied to other clubs or not interested. Couple that with the fact that we are now going to have fans back at the Lane and one of two things is going to happen: either we will get the kind of football we were promised, or we won't and people will start booing.

I said it in the match day thread, right now he's had a short spell in charge with the bulk of his international players having a rest after the Euros, right now the key is to not lose, win ugly and integrate the internationals back into the first team.

Oh and find a new striker because I just can't see any other outcome than Kane leaves on transfer deadline day.

Two wins and 6 points in the bag, not a bad start but we all know there is a long way to go. However i am optimistic that we are looking better then we have for a while and of course there are still problems to solve.
Optimistic for the future, but the way we struggled against Wolves makes the long way to go seem even longer.

Seemed like we had no real answers other than waiting/hoping for Wolves to run out of steam before they could score.

No one will know this Wolves team better than Nuno and he had very few answers. Let Traore run at Tanganga and Sanchez isn't much of a plan imo.

Optimistic for the future, but the way we struggled against Wolves makes the long way to go seem even longer.

Seemed like we had no real answers other than waiting/hoping for Wolves to run out of steam before they could score.

No one will know this Wolves team better than Nuno and he had very few answers. Let Traore run at Tanganga and Sanchez isn't much of a plan imo.

We all know we still have a lot of work to do for sure, but i really do not think we are as bad as some have tried to make out ( not saying you are). Work in progress without a doubt but its a good start.

We all know we still have a lot of work to do for sure, but i really do not think we are as bad as some have tried to make out ( not saying you are). Work in progress without a doubt but its a good start.

The results at this stage are way more important than the performance.

A thumping from City and a draw here would have put Nuno in a really bad place, now we have 3 games before our next big test against Chelsea (which will be tough)

Any team away isn't easy to win. It seems like people are gauging us against some amazing attacking team that wins every game convincingly. No team does that.

And I don't think we were as good as some seemingly think we were.

Thought the tactics were pretty much spot on against City, but as someone pointed out perhaps not a plan against City as much as it's just the plan.

The obvious problem with that plan is if the full backs start losing out against opposing wide players. The obvious risk against Wolves was that Traore would do what he did, particularly in the first half. Somewhat disappointed that we didn't have a plan or ability to do something about that. Was hoping for a bit more, particularly up against a team and players Nuno knows inside out.

On the ball i suppose I should temper my disappointment. Long lasting issues that won't be fixed quickly, particularly with none of Kane, Lo Celso and Ndombele in the team. We still looked a bit clueless other than trying to launch counter attacks when the opportunity arose- particularly in the first half mostly unsuccessfully so.

Would have hoped that we were a bit further along than launching the ball at Tanganga or Lucas when under pressure. Hopefully it's a matter of time.

And I don't think we were as good as some seemingly think we were.

Thought the tactics were pretty much spot on against City, but as someone pointed out perhaps not a plan against City as much as it's just the plan.

The obvious problem with that plan is if the full backs start losing out against opposing wide players. The obvious risk against Wolves was that Traore would do what he did, particularly in the first half. Somewhat disappointed that we didn't have a plan or ability to do something about that. Was hoping for a bit more, particularly up against a team and players Nuno knows inside out.

On the ball i suppose I should temper my disappointment. Long lasting issues that won't be fixed quickly, particularly with none of Kane, Lo Celso and Ndombele in the team. We still looked a bit clueless other than trying to launch counter attacks when the opportunity arose- particularly in the first half mostly unsuccessfully so.

Would have hoped that we were a bit further along than launching the ball at Tanganga or Lucas when under pressure. Hopefully it's a matter of time.
In 2 league games you expected him to fix 2 years of issues?

I'm cautiously optimistic. He still has a lot to prove. Don't get me wrong, the results so far have been very good and we haven't conceded a goal. He's also inherited a complete brickshow with the Kane situation and the painful rebuild Poch warned us about a few years ago. In that context, it was always going to be difficult and 6 points is a great return.

But we're still in the honeymoon period and the performances, particularly today, need improvement. Fingers crossed he's the man to do it.
Agree with all of that mate. Not getting ahead of myself but the early signs are very positive. He reminds me a lot of Poch with the way he carries himself.

In 2 league games you expected him to fix 2 years of issues?
Not sure how you got to there from what I wrote, but just to be clear no I didn't.

But I was hoping we would be somewhat further along in the process of starting to improve in some of those areas.

I was also hoping that there was some plan to deal with the rather obvious problems that would arise if Tanganga wasn't able to just completely shut down Traore one vs. one.

If this is going to be our standard approach for quite a lot of our games, I would like to see some solutions to problems that might arise within that system other than hoping that the other lot doesn't take advantage.

Haven't seen it talked about much here or elsewhere, but I thought we adjusted a bit in the second half. Caveat that what also happened is that Traore ran out of steam. But it seemed to me that Lucas (and then Lo Celso) moved a bit wider, took more responsibility for their wing back. In turn letting Hojbjerg and Tanganga focus on crowding out Traore and players around him before the ball could get to him.

Would have liked to see us capable of such changes within the first half when struggling. Plan A, Tanganga puts in a shut out performance like against City, plan B... something else?

But I was hoping we would be somewhat further along in the process of starting to improve in some of those areas.

from the date he started to the start of the season, Nuno had been in the role 6 weeks. Add in the Euros and Copa meaning many players unavailable, i definitely do not expect to be further along in the process at all.

from the date he started to the start of the season, Nuno had been in the role 6 weeks. Add in the Euros and Copa meaning many players unavailable, i definitely do not expect to be further along in the process at all.
Fair enough, I was hoping for a bit more, but we are where we are.

If it's direct questioning you don't like, hard luck.

It's the best question he can ask when he keeps being sidetracked by unsettled players. Everyone knows, including your teammates, where you're at. If you're on board, let's crack on. If you're not, it's Paraticis office you need.

Put up or shut up.
Agreed.

Been conflicting reports about the players and how they view Nuno. I think that's to be expected given the situation we've been in, some players that want out, some players we want rid of, the venn diagram of those two groups not being a single circle. Unbalanced squad, a lot of uncertainty both of the quality of some players and which roles and system would work for several players.

A bit of unrest, some players not warming to Nuno. He seems to be doing rather well, but will take months and possibly another transfer window or two before we can really see results of that work and see how effective it's been when it comes to squad harmony and players being happy with Nuno.

Agreed.

Been conflicting reports about the players and how they view Nuno. I think that's to be expected given the situation we've been in, some players that want out, some players we want rid of, the venn diagram of those two groups not being a single circle. Unbalanced squad, a lot of uncertainty both of the quality of some players and which roles and system would work for several players.

A bit of unrest, some players not warming to Nuno. He seems to be doing rather well, but will take months and possibly another transfer window or two before we can really see results of that work and see how effective it's been when it comes to squad harmony and players being happy with Nuno.

The guy inherited a mess, there never would be 100% harmony because
- Some players wanted to leave -> Kane, Aurier, Ndombele, Toby
- Some players he has no plan for -> Sissoko, Winks, etc.

It will take time, but if you look at Hugo's interview post our exit from Europe last season (where he is clearly questioning player's professionalism and commitment) to his interview after the Wolves game (where he says lots of work still to do, but the attitude is right), you can see hopefully where we are trying to go.

Back