• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No case for the defence

We consistently look defensively exposed. We can't be that weak if we are to challenge for top spots. If we are to fight for a top 4 spot, we need to be a lot tighter defensively. Unless our system can be tweaked to allow us to keep more clean sheets, then an overall change is needed in order to ensure that we don't ship quite as many goals we we have be conceding. We shouldn't need to score at least 2 goals+ to win games, sometimes 1 ought to be enough.

I don't think that the system needs to be tweaked, I just think that we need to be more consistent in applying it. That will come as our players gain experience and be helped no end by adding some depth this summer.

With our fullbacks bombing forward it will leave us more open at the back. Therefore the wingers ahead of the fullbacks need to track back to cover their fullback when they have run beyond them. Problem is neither Chadli nor Townsend are good at this. Now I understand that Chadli brings goals and usually an offensive threat, but Townsend neither defends nor attacks particularly effectively. This leaves Walker exposed and teams seem to have targeted this as our weak spot. So for the life of me I cannot understand why Poch does not address this by dropping Townsend and playing eithe Lamela or Dembele to give walker some help. I certainly don't think we should be playing both Chadli and Townsend together and then allowing the full backs to bomb forward.

We consistently look defensively exposed. We can't be that weak if we are to challenge for top spots. If we are to fight for a top 4 spot, we need to be a lot tighter defensively. Unless our system can be tweaked to allow us to keep more clean sheets, then an overall change is needed in order to ensure that we don't ship quite as many goals we we have be conceding. We shouldn't need to score at least 2 goals+ to win games, sometimes 1 ought to be enough.

I don't think anyone is saying that we don't have to improve?

People are just questioning if a (new) dedicated defensive midfielder is the preferred solution.

This leaves Walker exposed and teams seem to have targeted this as our weak spot. So for the life of me I cannot understand why Poch does not address this by dropping

Im not defending Townsend as he is not producing at all. But Walkers positional sense on standard covering schemes is all over the place at the moment. he constantly takes up the wrong positions or switches off at vital moments. You are right that teams are attacking our right side. But its mainly Walker they are picking on.

We could make our right sided wide forward cover him more. But he still has to be able to do his basic positioning play.

also what ever happened to the sweeper in our keeper?
Hasn't really been any situations where the GK could/should rush out as a sweeper. On most attacks against us, it's the flanks that get attacked, usually with a long cross to wide left/right, followed by a cross into the box. Not much the GK can do about those situations. We rarely get exposed from through balls in the middle, where the GK actually can come out and sweep.

We simply play far to offensively. Full-backs who play as wingers, wingers who aren't that bothered at tracking back to cover, a high-line and no DM. Wescore much more than we used to, but the defence suffers as a result.

We need wholesale changes at the back.

Walker's positioning and defensive play has hardly improved over the last 4 years.

Vertonghen is the best of a very bad bunch, but even he looks ropey these days.

Chiriches is not good enough.

Fazio is slow and prone to errors.

Dier might become a good player one day, but he is also prone to errors.

Would it really hurt to give a youngster a go for a few games? Can't be any worse than we are now.

That doesn't really tie in with the fact that he and Vertonghen as CBs saw us concede 50% fewer goals (on average per game) than since he has been out of the team...

Poch losing his mind?

:)

Walker's positioning and defensive play has hardly improved over the last 4 years.

Would it really hurt to give a youngster a go for a few games? Can't be any worse than we are now.

so judging by this, we need a new right back and 2 new centre halves?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree. We play a high risk, high reward strategy. When the team defend from the front as a unit we look very good, when we don't, we don't. Our team lacks depth and I think that we are paying the price for that a little. We also have a very young squad which inevitably lead to bigger fluctuations in form. Adding a dedicated DM would mean a complete change in tactics and I do not think that our performances have been so bad this season to warrant abandoning Poch's preferred approach.

i think you sum it up perfectly, especially the highlighted parts

I thought we was giving a youngster a go by playing Dier? I don't see the merit in playing two young CBs, at the very least you need one with experience. Unless youre talking about the FB positions, but even then Walker and Rose are still relatively young....

Or we can give them a chance to achieve some consistency by working on their mistakes on the training ground. I don't want to see wholesale changes myself. I want to see us work on and establish partnerships and relationships all over the pitch to see us functioning as a unit more efficiently.

Last edited:
@THFC6061

Statto, is it possible to get a table of how well we've done with Dier partnering Vertonghen and with Fazio partnering Vertonghen?

Maybe a list of opponents faced too?

Walker is a total liability at the moment, always out of position and chasing back. Seen so many crosses come in from his side and a lot of the goals we concede seem to have Walker miles away from the attacker running in on his side as well.

Wouldn't mind Dier at RB with Fazio back in the middle for a few games.

You must have forgotten how poor Dier was at RB to be saying that mate.

Stick a player in front of Walker who doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities and im sure things will go back to how they were when he first came back from injury

You must have forgotten how poor Dier was at RB to be saying that mate.

Stick a player in front of Walker who doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities and im sure things will go back to how they were when he first came back from injury

Agreed. Dier was dropped from right back for Chiriches who looked considerably better, but now people want Dier in there again despite him being in dodgy form over the last couple of weeks at least?

Back