• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
Here's the thing... it's extremely unlikely we're going to get a top class "in demand" manager before the summer (if there's a realistic one available, then I'm happy to be corrected on that). People are talking about Capello or Klinsmann - but irrespective of whether or not you think they'd be good for Spurs, neither of them are going to pass up the opportunity to take a team to the world cup in Brazil. Fergie's not coming out of retirement and I don't see any of the good premiership managers coming to us right now.

That's why I'm a bit surprised that Levy didn't give AVB until the end of the season... the guy clearly had a point to prove and maybe he'd have pulled it off (but even I admit it was looking less - not more - likely with each passing week). I'm not saying getting rid of AVB is necessarily a bad thing, and if Levy stuns us all with a surprise managerial coup then it might well be an inspired move. But it could go horribly wrong if we bring in the wrong person to steady the ship.

We might have the chance to bring in a decent manager after the world cup - when there's bound to be a bit of managerial musical chairs. So without a miracle from Levy, we're probably stuck with a caretaker for the rest of the season. Maybe bring in Hoddle on a six month contract with the understanding that he gets the job full time if he finishes top three, but will not have the contract extended (and no hard feelings) if he doesn't achieve it. And maybe let him bring in Ossie as consulting coach to help get Lamela's head together? Pretty sure we'd be scoring more goals before too long with Hoddle at the helm.

Not saying we'd be winning more matches though ;-)

Jose Mario Rocha, Luis Martins and Daniel Sousa leave the coaching staff and we wish them well for the future.

Quite frankly, I didnt know who these three were, what they actually did and what they really contributed, so no loss whatsoever.
I really hope Levy puts the hours in over these next few days and gets the new man in soon. Couple a decent home games over Christmas to get settled before two massive tests to start 2014.
I dont really want Sherwood at the helm for too long.

To be fair, in recent times DL hasnt hung around naming new managers, hopefully he already had irons in the fire and was making discreet enquiries after the City match

I think Levy had already decided to go for Redknapp when he sacked Jol and I don't think he was hard to convince either. Portsmouth needed the money, so things moved quickly. Ramos we had obviously sounded out beforehand. Sevilla were probably a bit difficult to deal with though.

I'm sure we have names written down already. Whether we have a priority target we'll find out soon enough I guess.

Personally I think we're further down the line already. If we weren't Levy could have easily waited a day or two or even a week or two before pulling the trigger to make sure he had someone closer to lined up before getting rid of AVB. I could obviously be mistaken though.

Seriously without getting conspiratorial, being without a manager also puts Levy a lot more in the spotlight than I think he wants to be. Him being filmed from the other side of the stadium as he sits almost expressionless in the stands on match days seems to be the closest he wants to be to being in the media. Even with Baldini and Sherwood there now a lot more attention will be on Levy until a new permanent manager is in place.

Another thing, and I'm not sure about this for certain as I've never witnessed a training session at Spurs, but I think I'd like a new manager to re-jig the coaching staff.

Is it any wonder that we can only pass the ball sideways with Sherwood and Freund on the team, or that every striker we've signed since Ferdinand joined the team seems to regress the longer he stays here?

Here's the thing... it's extremely unlikely we're going to get a top class "in demand" manager before the summer (if there's a realistic one available, then I'm happy to be corrected on that). People are talking about Capello or Klinsmann - but irrespective of whether or not you think they'd be good for Spurs, neither of them are going to pass up the opportunity to take a team to the world cup in Brazil. Fergie's not coming out of retirement and I don't see any of the good premiership managers coming to us right now.

That's why I'm a bit surprised that Levy didn't give AVB until the end of the season... the guy clearly had a point to prove and maybe he'd have pulled it off (but even I admit it was looking less - not more - likely with each passing week). I'm not saying getting rid of AVB is necessarily a bad thing, and if Levy stuns us all with a surprise managerial coup then it might well be an inspired move. But it could go horribly wrong if we bring in the wrong person to steady the ship.

We might have the chance to bring in a decent manager after the world cup - when there's bound to be a bit of managerial musical chairs. So without a miracle from Levy, we're probably stuck with a caretaker for the rest of the season. Maybe bring in Hoddle on a six month contract with the understanding that he gets the job full time if he finishes top three, but will not have the contract extended (and no hard feelings) if he doesn't achieve it. And maybe let him bring in Ossie as consulting coach to help get Lamela's head together? Pretty sure we'd be scoring more goals before too long with Hoddle at the helm.

Not saying we'd be winning more matches though ;-)

In all fairness, any new manager hasnt got much to beat in that respect, one goal per game would now be an improvement

Sure plenty of managers would want it:

Martin Allen
Neil Warnock
Sven Erikkson
Kenny Dalglish
Ian Dowie

I mean a successful manager who can produce what all the fans want. Think I'm waiting for the second coming!!!

I think you left Curbs off this list.

Yeh i'd rather AVB stayed then Hoddle if i really am honest.

---------------Sandro---------Dembele----------------

-Lennon---------------Eriksen--------------Townsend-

-----------------------Defoe---------------------------

Based on his comments whilst analysing us...that would be Hoddle's preferred line up.

So, basically, largely players seasoned in the Premiership plus the nearest thing we have to a playmaker from the new crop.

I personally think that would buy us a bit of time to allow the new players time to find their feet. Certainly there is every prospect of Sandro and Dembele missing several games through injury, which opens the door for Capoue and Holtby/Paulinho.

Who pays attention to what Jamie Redknapp says anyway? He's the most clueless of all pundits and that's saying something.

Another thing, and I'm not sure about this for certain as I've never witnessed a training session at Spurs, but I think I'd like a new manager to re-jig the coaching staff.

Is it any wonder that we can only pass the ball sideways with Sherwood and Freund on the team, or that every striker we've signed since Ferdinand joined the team seems to regress the longer he stays here?

You do know that Sherwood and Ferdinand had no involvement with the first team under AVB?

No fan of Jamie Rednapp. Average punditry at best. But nothing much wrong with what he said:

Gay Sports pundit, and former Spurs midfielder, Jamie Redknapp says Villas-Boas has paid the price for his role in dismantling one of the best teams the club have ever had.

Andre Villas-Boas has left Tottenham by mutual consent and Jamie Redknapp isn't surprised.
"After the job he did at Chelsea he was incredibly lucky to get that job in the first place," said Redknapp, who is the son of former Tottenham boss Harry.

"He had a nightmare at Chelsea and then they went and won the Champions League without him, but he finds himself as the manager of Tottenham with a squad of Modric, Bale and players like that.

"Last year he did well with the previous manager's team, but now he's had his chance to do it, it hasn't worked out for him.

"When you get beat 5-0 at home it's a bit of a tell-tale sign. It's not something Tottenham fans are accustomed to and I feel sorry to a certain extent for the fans.

"Having seen the team that was built - you look at Gareth Bale on the wing - and you've ended up with players who aren't in the same league."

No fan of Jamie Rednapp. Average punditry at best. But nothing much wrong with what he said:

Gay Sports pundit, and former Spurs midfielder, Jamie Redknapp says Villas-Boas has paid the price for his role in dismantling one of the best teams the club have ever had.

Andre Villas-Boas has left Tottenham by mutual consent and Jamie Redknapp isn't surprised.
"After the job he did at Chelsea he was incredibly lucky to get that job in the first place," said Redknapp, who is the son of former Tottenham boss Harry.

"He had a nightmare at Chelsea and then they went and won the Champions League without him, but he finds himself as the manager of Tottenham with a squad of Modric, Bale and players like that.

"Last year he did well with the previous manager's team, but now he's had his chance to do it, it hasn't worked out for him.

"When you get beat 5-0 at home it's a bit of a tell-tale sign. It's not something Tottenham fans are accustomed to and I feel sorry to a certain extent for the fans.

"Having seen the team that was built - you look at Gareth Bale on the wing - and you've ended up with players who aren't in the same league."

Did he? I seem to remember Modric getting sold to Real Madrid that summer... I would say one out of Jamie R and myself misremembered that one...

I find it frankly ridiculous that they would even ask Jamie Redknapp to comment on this story. Suppose it's par for the course for a football reporting these days, but how can he not be biased or seen as biased? This is punditry? This is expert opinion?

Oh, and for ****s sake. Dismantling one of the best teams we've ever had? King retired, we were forced into selling Modric and Bale (imo), Friedel was the age of the Empire State building, Nelsen and Saha were on loan, Parker was spent. Dismantling a team? sigh... I shouldn't get excited over some idiot saying idiotic things...

Last edited:
Back