• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
yeah i remember seeing some interviews around the time of the next gen series and thinking he came across well (dodgy scarf aside)

I think he does. For a young inexperienced coach to hit the ground running, mid-season, with a group of younger unsettled players, its a tough ask. Really you want a HR type with experience who can get people organised, and playing and expressing themselves.

Why didn't you like Redknapp? because of his character right?

Sherwood appears to be in the same mold if not worse. Redknapp at least spouts off to the media meaning you know he's the one saying it....Sherwood on the other hand does all his damage behind the persons back.

I don't like Redknapp the person, but I didn't want him sacked because of that. I was pro a contract extension or at least letting him have one more season to earn one until very late in his final season. He started making some rather bizarre comments. I don't remember them in detail, but he seemed to think he was unsackable.

Why would he be a gamble in your view? He looks a good fit to me but I can't quite explain why

The guy is nuts. His nickname is even Loco. He is however a superb manager who has received praise from some of the very best. I think Guardiola called him the best manager in the world at one point. His teams play an exciting brand of football and he certainly has guts and believes in what he does. I have said I have wanted Bielsa at the team since a thread popped up on our "new manager" a few months ago and posted the line up he'd do, no full backs, just three centre backs, midfield players with tons of stamina and the intricate likes of Lamela and Eriksen knitting everything together.

I still remember his Bilbao team absolutely destroying Man Utd.

I don't like Redknapp the person, but I didn't want him sacked because of that. I was pro a contract extension or at least letting him have one more season to earn one until very late in his final season. He started making some rather bizarre comments. I don't remember them in detail, but he seemed to think he was unsackable.

Either way Redknapp is proven so taking some of his bizarre behavior comes with the territory. Sherwood on the other hand? the guy uses underhand tactics to diminish another mans credentials and he's never coached a day in his life (i don't care about youth coaching). I didn't rate AVB much at all but if you're going to spout stuff about another person do it face to face or to the media so at least the quotes are attributed to you. Sherwood just seems like a sleazy **** to me....with no managerial experience to boot.

Felix Magath wouldnt be bad for 6 months - he's currently unemployed. Winner as player and manager.

Essential criteria:

Plays attractive, attacking football
Speaks English
Does not have a track record of losing the dressing room
Has not been out of club management for a long time
Proven ability to win big games / deal with high pressure situations
Proven themselves at club level
Track record of developing and improving young players (including those that were already in the first team)

Bonus criteria:

Success with more than one team, even better in more than one country
Multi-lingual
Proven ability to hit the ground running
Proven ability to turn things around after major setbacks / poor runs of form
Big name manager or former player that the players will respect
Experience of English football / culture
Experience of managing big name players / big egos.
Is charismatic and deals with the media well
Is young

Irrelevant:

Spurs connections
Success they had 20 years ago
Success they had with a bottomless pit of money to spend
Whether they were any good as a player (unless there's a strong indication they're good as a club manager too)
Nationality
Sound of their name
What they look / dress like

Suggest we get together a list of 50-100 managers, rule out immediately all of those who don't fit all the essential criteria (Capello, Hoddle etc), then start looking to the availability of those who fit the most bonus criteria.

Yup, as I've said before, he (Sherwood) is a Voldemort figure…what's going to be intriguing is the following…I have been hearing for 48 hours that Hoddle is one of the people we have considered. I personally cannot believe that as Voldemort and him had a massive falling out in 2003. 'Currently' it seems as though Voldemort is going to win, but if Lewis wants something then everyone has to bend over and take it, Voldemort included. As ever, our board and backrooms are a drama-corridor of comedy classic proportions.

I know very little about Bielsa to be honest, but love the sound of it all…mental!

I think I'd honestly rather Brad Friedel be player-manager for the remainder of the season than Sherwood.

The guy is nuts. His nickname is even Loco. He is however a superb manager who has received praise from some of the very best. I think Guardiola called him the best manager in the world at one point. His teams play an exciting brand of football and he certainly has guts and believes in what he does. I have said I have wanted Bielsa at the team since a thread popped up on our "new manager" a few months ago and posted the line up he'd do, no full backs, just three centre backs, midfield players with tons of stamina and the intricate likes of Lamela and Eriksen knitting everything together.

I still remember his Bilbao team absolutely destroying Man Utd.

This along with a few more points.

-Language problems? If he speaks English I haven't seen it reported anywhere.
-His formation choices and style of play is very hit or miss. Fantastic like with Bilbao destroying Man Utd, or collapse. If he got a tough couple of starts it could be hard to turn around.
-He demands a hell of a lot from his players. Hard working only begins to describe it. I think we might have ended up with some of the same problems as under Ramos with players not being happy about having to work that hard etc. Mitigated somewhat by us having a squad full of what seems like very fit players, but still a risk.

Some massive potential positives too:

-It would be entertaining!
-He is tactically very exciting, but also clever. There's a reason why Guardiola went to him for advice before taking the Barca job.
-He's fearless and he seems to be able to instill the same attitude into his players.
-The hardworking aspect could work out brilliantly.

-------------

As has been said he's also currently unemployed. He's spent a lot of time managing in South America and clubs like Bilbao in Spain are some way off the PL wage standard I think. We wouldn't have to pay to have him released, he would probably accept reasonable wages and a reasonable sign on fee.

To me at least, giving him a shorti-ish term contract of say two and a half years and then if it doesn't work out well by the summer tell him to get lost and get whoever we then want makes a lot more sense than getting Sherwood or Hoddle in as interim managers for half a season.

To repeat myself:

Audere est facere. Do dare is to do. And they don't come more daring than Bielsa.

[tweet]412646283032006656[/tweet]
[tweet]412646334701641729[/tweet]
[tweet]412646360614064128[/tweet]

I'd say this indicates we are looking at candidates.

I'd say this indicates we are looking at candidates.

Agreed, said the same in the Sherwood thread, but it's more fitting here.

I don't care if it's Sherwood, Freund, Pleat, Hoddle or whoever that leads the team in a couple of games whilst we get the right man in. I just don't want to see the rest of the season given to someone without experience or who seem very unlikely to actually be good enough.

Agreed, said the same in the Sherwood thread, but it's more fitting here.

I don't care if it's Sherwood, Freund, Pleat, Hoddle or whoever that leads the team in a couple of games whilst we get the right man in. I just don't want to see the rest of the season given to someone without experience or who seem very unlikely to actually be good enough.

We MIGHT give the rest of the season to someone, but not until a thorough search for a replacement has been conducted.

We MIGHT give the rest of the season to someone, but not until a thorough search for a replacement has been conducted.

I would expect us to be further down the line than just searching to be honest.

IIRC Redknapp was appointed around 48 hours after Ramos had been sacked. We obviously talked to Ramos before Jol was sacked. I looked up the various times between departure and arrival for the various managerial changes under Redknapp back when Redknapp was sacked, but I can't be bothered going through it again. Most of them were short though. The AVB hiring took longer, but most sings indicated that it was in place quite a while before it was actually announced and that was during the off season and early part of the off season at that.

I can't be sure of course, but I would expect the discussions referenced in that tweet to be discussions with potential targets and their clubs, not discussions between Levy and Baldini about who the options are.

IIRC Redknapp was appointed around 48 hours after Ramos had been sacked. We obviously talked to Ramos before Jol was sacked. I looked up the various times between departure and arrival for the various managerial changes under Redknapp back when Redknapp was sacked, but I can't be bothered going through it again. Most of them were short though. The AVB hiring took longer, but most sings indicated that it was in place quite a while before it was actually announced and that was during the off season and early part of the off season at that.

I can't be sure of course, but I would expect the discussions referenced in that tweet to be discussions with potential targets and their clubs, not discussions between Levy and Baldini about who the options are.

I think Levy had already decided to go for Redknapp when he sacked Jol and I don't think he was hard to convince either. Portsmouth needed the money, so things moved quickly. Ramos we had obviously sounded out beforehand. Sevilla were probably a bit difficult to deal with though.

I'm sure we have names written down already. Whether we have a priority target we'll find out soon enough I guess.

AVB wasnt able to be announced until a certain date in his chelsea contract. One of the clauses in his payoff was that he couldnt work in the premier league for the rest of the year.

Back