• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IF LvG does go to OT or the Effeminates, I could quite easily see Levy embarrassing himself courting the sloppy seconds.

That's precisely why I think Sherwood is probably Levy's #2 choice after LvG (or perhaps Ancelotti if he becomes available.)

If Levy appointed the likes of Laudrup or Capello he would be open to the accusation of settling for sloppy seconds - it would be clear we didn't get our first choice. That would be a terrible burden for the new coach, and wouldn't inspire confidence in the players.

But if he appoints Sherwood he can sell it to fans and media as: "We're trying something totally new - appointing a promising young English coach from within, in the mould of Juve/Conte, Barca/Pep or Mainz/Klopp." Levy could probably sell that line credibly, and it would also have the benefit of being true, as opposed to trying to lie that you really wanted Spalleti all along, which would be an obvious lie and would make you sound ridiculous. Appointing Sherwood would also give Levy a season of breathing space to wait for the next round of available managers in summer 2015 if Sherwood bombs.

That's why I think it's LvG, Ancelloti or Sherwood.

if they were both free I'd take Moyes over LVG anyway so if he gets the united job we could still "win" IMO

if he goes down the road how about trying the voyeur, he'd get on great with levy

I really cannot for the life of me understand what it is Sherwood has done to make people think that in a perfect world the best thing to happen would be for him to be our manager long term?

What is it that makes him a better option than some of the names we've been linked to like LvG?

I was surprised, but eventually not opposed to us appointing him when we did. And he's done alright. But he hasn't done much more than alright and to me at least he hasn't done anything to indicate that he's something special. And to get where we want to be I think we need someone a bit special.

I agree with much of what you have written and I don't think I have said in my post that Sherwood should remain manager. One thing we should take into account with Sherwood is that he has not had a preseason to drill any ideas into his team. It is difficult coming in mid season as every game is a big one so he is unable to do more than tinker a little bit. This is especially the case for him as he wasn't even a first team coach so there was no continuity.

and the type of football he had them playing would make AVBs Spurs look like Brazil in comparison

thats not true though really is it? i remember his team with a midfield fulcrum of mascherano and alonso, with gerrard and torres playing some quality stuff.

anyway, i would accept organisational structure, clear philosophy, tactics and results with a style of football based on solidity over the dross that has been served up this season (and throughout large parts of last too).

thats not true though really is it? i remember his team with a midfield fulcrum of mascherano and alonso, with gerrard and torres playing some quality stuff.

anyway, i would accept organisational structure, clear philosophy, tactics and results with a style of football based on solidity over the dross that has been served up this season (and throughout large parts of last too).

that's funny because that was clearly what AVB was trying to work towards and i seem to recall you not being too happy with the prospect of that type of approach at all - or am i thinking of someone else?

what happens when Benitez comes in and doesn't get instant success trying to implement that brand of football? will you put up with the dross as he tries to make it work or will you want him out as the results are not coming in?

i disagree entirely re Benitez's Liverpool

Just listened to the old Sunday Supplement podcast and I do love th hypocrisy of it. Man UTD are linked with van Gaal and the journalists are asked about their opinions on it and a couple of them basically say that if a manager of his stature is available then Man UTD would be right to consider him. Then the Tottenham question is asked and the journalists first off say that it's unfair that Sherwood will be getting the boot. Now I'll be fair and say that the journalist who gave an opinion did go on to say that Sherwood has talked his way out of a job and that the players Sherwood is telling people are **** are actually decent players.

My gripe though is this perception that because Man UTD are a bigger club they have the right to ditch Moyes after just a year in the job, whereas because we are only Spurs we don't have the right to look to better ourselves by getting in a top manager.

Benitez will have the same approach as AVB imo: have an emphasis on solidity in defence and CM, using a single striker with attackers joining from deep/the wings.

If we didn't like AVB we will NOT like Bentiez

Fahct

Benitez will have the same approach as AVB imo: have an emphasis on solidity in defence and CM, using a single striker with attackers joining from deep/the wings.

If we didn't like AVB we will NOT like Bentiez

Fahct

Not really a fahct though is it, Avbs football minus bale was as worse then santini's, g g's was actually better especially with ginola

if they were both free I'd take Moyes over LVG anyway so if he gets the united job we could still "win" IMO

if he goes down the road how about trying the voyeur, he'd get on great with levy

Appointing Moyes would be dumber than appointing AVB was. Took the champions down to 7th. At least AVB only took Chelsea from 2nd to 6th.

Louis Van Gaal is a far FAR better manager. Can't believe what I'm reading here.

I'm pretty sure that if Van Gaal is the guy we want that we'll get him. Wenger and Moyes will both stay this summer imo.

I'm pretty sure that if Van Gaal is the guy we want that we'll get him. Wenger and Moyes will both stay this summer imo.

Hope you're right about those.

I know I'm a big Moyes and United fan for the reminder of the season just in case.

In Moyes we trust!

I agree with much of what you have written and I don't think I have said in my post that Sherwood should remain manager. One thing we should take into account with Sherwood is that he has not had a preseason to drill any ideas into his team. It is difficult coming in mid season as every game is a big one so he is unable to do more than tinker a little bit. This is especially the case for him as he wasn't even a first team coach so there was no continuity.

What you said was that in a perfect world we would get to see Sherwood develop. I might have misread that, but I think it's an opinion held by some posters at least.

I agree it hasn't been easy for him, and I agree he's done well under the circumstances. But he's also still very much unproven and he hasn't been doing well enough for me to think that he's a better option than some of the other managers we've been linked to.

There has also been some real unfortunate decisions I think. Some real showings of him not being at the level we need, a very high bar by the way, but fair or not this is the reality we live in.

what team/sport are some of you actually watching?

1) Benitez is the same as AVB???? because they both focus on defence??? oh right so every manager who focuses on defence is the same? so AVB is the same as Mourinho then? so AVB is the same as Capello then? or is it maybe that you could defend solidly but then have different ways of attacking and therefore be a completely different manager

2) TS hasn't had a pre season. so what.?!?! Tony Pulis in one week changed a CHAMPIONSHIP LEVEL team who was defensively all over the place to a team who 1 week later knew all about positioning. we've gone the opposite. against West Brom we were playing with 6 centre backs and no full backs, it was a joke. it doesn't take a full pre season to tell your full backs and wide players to cover the flanks and not leave players wide open. our defending since TS took over has been the WORST IVE EVER SEEN….. until 1 week later when we will find new levels of terrible.
yes, we are getting worse not better

3) we need coaching, we need structure, we need a purpose, we need a philosophy, we need a winning mentality.
my choices in order
1) LVG 2)FDB 3) thanks but no thanks to all the rest. David Moyes? like I said I want my team to have a winning mentality so that rules Moyes out

Last edited:
Back