• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather watch a Pochettino's Spurs finish 8th, than a Benitez Spurs winning the title.

My vision for Spurs is what Southampton were last season, all in it together, punching above our weight, playing fantastic attacking football, playing with freedom and verve, fans behind the team. Clearly I'm an idiot for wanting this over a bland grind of a season trying desperately to chalk up some tin pot cups

And I think the Top4 would be quite happy and thankful for us to continue with your vision.

What if we hired Rafa for 3-4 seasons, see how the footy goes, see if we make top4 and win any cups, and then re-assess then? Would you be open to that?

We could then go back to a 'Poch' in 4 years time if deemed necessary. (Although, if we had made top4 with Rafa, you may have a hard time convincing Levy to do so.)

Last edited:
I'd rather watch a Pochettino's Spurs finish 8th, than a Benitez Spurs winning the title. FACT.

I'm an idiot? Or alternatively I'm just a football fan who loves football and not a spoilt brat who thinks the universe ends if you don't qualify for the Champions League, if your money grabbing captain doesn't get to hold some tin pot above his head, if we sell a player we bought for £10m for £86m to the biggest club on the planet- maybe I'm just not a slave to the tabloid headlines and SSN who inform us that our 6th place finish with the 7th biggest wage budget in the country is a disaster akin to the titanic.

Yes yes, I'm an idiot. Must be, I mean I actually think about our situation with my brain switched on rather than blindly read headlines and listen to what bored,bland ex pros have to say.

My vision for Spurs is what Southampton were last season, all in it together, punching above our weight, playing fantastic attacking football, playing with freedom and verve, fans behind the team. Clearly I'm an idiot for wanting this over a bland grind of a season trying desperately to chalk up some tin pot cups to wave at the bigger clubs and play mines bigger than yours.

**** me. No actually, **** you!

I'm surprised so many people have taken issue with this.

I don't agree with NWND, but it's clearly just a personal preference and one I think seems perfectly respectable.

Reminds me a little bit of a story that I think I heard on football weekly about a kid that told his dad at a game last season that he hoped QPR would get relegated because then next season they could start winning football games again.

Going by the poll here and elsewhere whoever we get the majority if fans will have wanted someone else. The only really unifying option mentioned so far was LvG, but he was out of our reach.

Not really. He was seemingly ruled out early before we could focus on his abrasive personality, the short-term thinking behind the appointment, etc.

BoAQujjIMAAIIjO.jpg

That's the kind of attitude that will take you places.

I'd rather watch a Pochettino's Spurs finish 8th, than a Benitez Spurs winning the title. FACT.

With all due respect, this is nonsense and a loser's mentality and something that quite a lot of our fans (and I would wager some running the club) hold.

I think it is a defence mechanism. We haven't been winning trophies recently so our defence when talking to fans of other clubs who are mocking us, especially those we deem to have gained those trophies in a 'boring' way, is to say that we'd rather play good football than win trophies.

There are, in my perhaps misguided view, 2 truths here however. No club wins trophies playing a solely attractive, free flowing football. And almost no clubs win through solely boring football. Even some of those that are perceived to have been boring very clearly weren't. Mourinho's first chelsea side wasn't unattractive in the slightest. They played good football and scored a ****load of goals. People confuse excitement with attractive football. Chelsea games weren't exciting back then because they almost never conceded. So once they inevitably went 1-0 up, it simply became a case of whether they'd stick with that or how many more they would score.

As for Benitez, Liverpool fans must have been so bored in that CL final. Or that FA cup final. Or the 4-0 vs Real Madrid. Or the 4-1 vs Man utd. Yeah sometimes Benitez can be negative but this impression that Poch or FDB or LVG would come in and play smooth football every game is rubbish.

And perhaps most importantly, I'm not sure I've ever met a fan of a side that has recently won a trophy and heard that fan complain about how the trophy was won. Not from fans who support clubs who regularly win major trophies and certainly not from fans of clubs like Spurs, who've won a huge 2 trophies in the past 23 years. You think Atletico, Greece, Portsmouth fans etc etc care a jot how they won their trophies?

BoAQujjIMAAIIjO.jpg

That's the kind of attitude that will take you places.

Succession planning. If only we had ****in done that if you get Benny Hill you need some kind of continuity with an AM who would stay. You get FDB and Poch then maybe not so much.

I had about zero percent of hope he would come to Spurs after Moyzi's resigning.

That Mayday bank holiday was definitely a bit of an 'oh ****' moment.

Reminds me a little bit of a story that I think I heard on football weekly about a kid that told his dad at a game last season that he hoped QPR would get relegated because then next season they could start winning football games again.

That's quite a common attitude across the football leagues. Most fans just want to enjoy watching their clubs and for them to be competitive. The Sky EPL/top 4 hype isn't anywhere near as pervasive as those caught in the bubble believe it to be.

I'm an idiot? Or alternatively I'm just a football fan who loves football and not a spoilt brat who thinks the universe ends if you don't qualify for the Champions League, if your money grabbing captain doesn't get to hold some tin pot above his head, if we sell a player we bought for £10m for £86m to the biggest club on the planet- maybe I'm just not a slave to the tabloid headlines and SSN who inform us that our 6th place finish with the 7th biggest wage budget in the country is a disaster akin to the titanic.

Yes yes, I'm an idiot. Must be, I mean I actually think about our situation with my brain switched on rather than blindly read headlines and listen to what bored,bland ex pros have to say.

My vision for Spurs is what Southampton were last season, all in it together, punching above our weight, playing fantastic attacking football, playing with freedom and verve, fans behind the team. Clearly I'm an idiot for wanting this over a bland grind of a season trying desperately to chalk up some tin pot cups to wave at the bigger clubs and play mines bigger than yours.

**** me. No actually, **** you!

I agree with all that, apart from the silverware bit. For me, that's the glory of it. CL is a bit meh. But winning an FA/League/UEFA cup or two every decade or so is what it should be all about.

I love that we play in Europe - twice as many games and fantastic atmosphere night games, but I actually enjoy EL more than CL. It has more romance to it and I genuinely believe at the start of each season that we could repeat the glory of '84 or '72.

Succession planning. If only we had ****in done that if you get Benny Hill you need some kind of continuity with an AM who would stay. You get FDB and Poch then maybe not so much.

Why do you assume Benitez's tenure would necessarily be shorter than FDB or Pochettino. He's "middle aged" at most for a manager. If Pochettino leaves Southampton for us after 18 months, you'd have to be a special kind of mong to expect him to show any loyaty to this club. If he does well, vultures will circle; if he's crap, its P45 time for him and his translator. Either way, I see absolutely nothing to suggest he represents better value than Benitez as a long term appointment.

In fact I would, and have, argued the contrary.

Back