• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was the football that bad under Benitez? I know that's the perception, but is it the reality? I genuinely can't remember.

Surely it can't have been that bad with Agger, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres forming the spine.

We need both. The ability to play either types of football to match the occasion. But I agree champions league every year is more important than trophies. More likely anyway to get trophies and a consequence of being a regular champions league competitor than the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Fapatalk

Give me success first. When we get that, then we can talk about the manner in which we do it.

People are having a go at Rafa being "boring". It's all about context. This was a team that consistently played CL and was amongst it for the league winning the odd cup all the while. It's nit-picking.

I'd love to have here what he gave Liverpool. Imagine us overtaking the **** again for FA Cup wins.

Give me success first. When we get that, then we can talk about the manner in which we do it.

People are having a go at Rafa being "boring". It's all about context. This was a team that consistently played CL and was amongst it for the league winning the odd cup all the while. It's nit-picking.

I'd love to have here what he gave Liverpool. Imagine us overtaking the **** again for FA Cup wins.

You could argue that it wasn't necessarily his team but he managed the side which came back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with Milan then win on penalties in the CL Final.

Personally I could cope with that sort of boring...

=D>

I still see no-one has answered my question about who Rafa has got to 'punch abobe theor weight' and break into the top 4 usurping other bigger more moneyed teams.

At Valencia winning the league twice in 3 years was a great achievement but they were CL regulars before he went there. He certainly got them to 'punch above their weight' in terms of winning La Liga but that was not on the level of what he'd have to do with us: Valencia are the third best suported team in Spain after Madrid and Barca.

We will have to break-in rather than steady within top 4 before pushing for the top. It's the breaking-in that i'm not sure Rafa can do, given the competition and the fact that we have the 6th biggest budget. With the football Rafa would likely bring you know deep down most of you will ultimately find it underwhelming. At least with Harry's ultimate failures there was at least memories of good football..

If we want to win a cup finally then yes Rafa could definitely be the one; if we want to reach top 4, then i doubt he'd be able to. If we were already in the top 4, then i'd say 'hell yeah!'. But alas we are not...

Plus can you imagine the squad changes? Would he play Lamela and Eriksen in the same team? Would he EVER play two strikers?

I can see the allure but for me it just wouldn't work.

He would also perhaps seem the best fit with our new stadium on the horizon....

I'd put a lot of money on whoever we appoint not still being here when the stadium opens.

EPL managerial lifespan - 1.8 years
EPL managerial lifespan excluding Wenger - 1.0 year
Levy managerial lifespan - 1.6 years
Expected stadium completion date - 3 years
Number of football league clubs with manager having been in place 4 years of more - 4 (out of 92)

It'll be the manager after this one who christens New WHL, if not the one after that.

I think Liverpool and United were far and away the highest spenders in the league during his time there - so im not sure that's a very accurate statement tbh

Chelsea had Roman billions during that time and **** were just coming off their unbeaten season. Pool were definitely 4th of the top 4.

I think Liverpool and United were far and away the highest spenders in the league during his time there - so im not sure that's a very accurate statement tbh

true, but I don't think they ever had the strength of united/chelsea/arsenal so to be up there with them was an impressive achievement

Chelsea had Roman billions during that time and **** were just coming off their unbeaten season. Pool were definitely 4th of the top 4.

I forgot about RA being at Chelsea actually - fair point. Think they were outspending Arsenal though.

true, but I don't think they ever had the strength of united/chelsea/arsenal so to be up there with them was an impressive achievement

I think that raises two points - negatively that he didn't build teams that matched their spending capabilities and positively that he got a great return out of those he got in.

This might be O/T really now, but can anybody say why Manure are still delaying announcing LVG?:-k

They are showing respect for Holland by letting it drag on and not be a distraction.

Edit: Oops, the thread has moved on a bit.

My take on Rafa, I think he is a good manager and I would be happy with him.

Rafa does have a tendency to be safe and not lose. This served him well in the cups where not losing wins trophies, but can be costly in the league. The season Liverpool finished 2nd they drew too many games they should have won. But once the league was gone he relaxed and the thrashed United and Real with some excellent football. He can play attractive football, but is often too cautious. On the other hand, he can game plan and beat the best, as his CL results proved.

A few other considerations. One he can handle behind the scenes turmoil like no other. He dealt with the H&G nonsense and then his treatment at Chelsea. Contrary to perceptions, he doesn't crack under pressure (the famous rants about facts were after too many draws through away the title, not the cause of it). Two, he can make strange choices. Wasn't he was the one who pursued Barry as a replacement for Alonso? Three, he can go public in pursuit of funds. After losing the CL final he was immediately asking publicly for money, so this is a potential cause of conflict with Levy.

All in all he is a good choice, with some pros and cons. Overall, I'd be happy with any of the trio being discussed, which makes this period far less stressful.

Last edited:
I'd put a lot of money on whoever we appoint not still being here when the stadium opens.

EPL managerial lifespan - 1.8 years
EPL managerial lifespan excluding Wenger - 1.0 year
Levy managerial lifespan - 1.6 years
Expected stadium completion date - 3 years
Number of football league clubs with manager having been in place 4 years of more - 4 (out of 92)

It'll be the manager after this one who christens New WHL, if not the one after that.

Not if they employ the right manager its all about clicking in to place
When you get it right they stick around when its wrong up steps danny with tim

For what its worth with benitez its not he's style of football for me it's the simple fact I think he's a **** and I don't like him.

I want a manager that's ours maybe thats unreasonable but its true (FACT)

We've had 226 pages of discussion here and one of the most important points raised regularly is the need for the next manager to be someone who we can all get behind.. LVG seemed like he could be that person but there is no way that Rafa is.

I can understand the desperation for someone who has won a few trophies but for me, supporting Spurs is about watching the games week in week out and trying to get enjoyment out of them, something that has been largely missing under AVB and Sherwood. I get that if Rafa was to grind out a League Cup win then some would be happy but I am sure there are many supporters here who would much rather put our eggs in the basket of someone who might have even the slighest potential to bring back the enjoyment to watching Spurs.

For those that want Rafa, could you honstly say that if we are grinding out wins (sitting on 1-0 leads etc.) you would be satisfied? Because AVB was grinding out victories and the minute we had a couple of bad losses the lack of attacking flair became the ammo to attack him and no doubt those same people will shouting for Rafa to go when it inevitably happens.

Going by the poll here and elsewhere whoever we get the majority if fans will have wanted someone else. The only really unifying option mentioned so far was LvG, but he was out of our reach.

Good point about the inevitability of a poor run.

I agree that success is the most important thing. Without success the manager will be gone eventually regardless of the style of football.

But the consideration of which style the club thinks is most likely to work out for us should be made before hiring the manager. I don't think it's a given that a defensive strategy is more likely to succeed than a more attacking one. And like dingdongo pointed out, sooner or later a poor run will come around. If there's more chance of a manager with an attacking philosophy being given time to turn it around then that might have some value.

Back