• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But no body was arguing that having experience in the league wasn't a advantage or beneficial was they ?

The discussion was a manager needs it to do well which they don't as has Been proved so what precisely are we arguing ? Lol

My point all along was that it was a benefit.

If you can find a post where I said that a manager needs it to do well I would be surprised as that's clearly not my opinion.

Everyone loves this 'win percentage' stat mate, but let's face it, stats can be used for all sides of the coin which is why it's always best to rely on your own eyes and ears IMO…here's one for you

@EwanRoberts
For all Sherwood's boasts about his win percentage, he's also got the highest LOSS percentage (37%) of any Spurs boss since Hoddle (43.2%).
Loss percentages (all comps) of last six Tottenham managers: Sherwood 37%, AVB 20%, Redknapp 25.2%, Ramos 31.4%, Jol 30%, Santini 30.7%.

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38851&posts=138#ixzz32636bFeq

Note that the above stat INCLUDES all cup matches, whereas the win stat trotted out for Timbo is only Premiership matches.

In every possible sense, eyes, ears, mind, even stats, the likes of Pochettino and De Boer represent a negligible gamble compared to having retained him.

"Stats don't lie" - Tim Sherwood.

Agree completely by the way.

Everyone loves this 'win percentage' stat mate, but let's face it, stats can be used for all sides of the coin which is why it's always best to rely on your own eyes and ears IMO…here's one for you

@EwanRoberts
For all Sherwood's boasts about his win percentage, he's also got the highest LOSS percentage (37%) of any Spurs boss since Hoddle (43.2%).
Loss percentages (all comps) of last six Tottenham managers: Sherwood 37%, AVB 20%, Redknapp 25.2%, Ramos 31.4%, Jol 30%, Santini 30.7%.

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38851&posts=138#ixzz32636bFeq

Note that the above stat INCLUDES all cup matches, whereas the win stat trotted out for Timbo is only Premiership matches.

In every possible sense, eyes, ears, mind, even stats, the likes of Pochettino and De Boer represent a negligible gamble compared to having retained him.

Fair enough, but I think PL games only is best comparison really. After all there can be a huge difference in the quality of your opponents in the cup, where Sherwood didn't have the luxury of the Europa league group stage, playing FC No Mark who finished 3rd (on goal difference) in the 5 team Lithuanian premier league to get his win percentage up. I think a good indication is PL points per game as that factors in the wins and the losses. IIRC didn't Tim also have our best record when that method was used?

Fair enough, but I think PL games only is best comparison really. After all there can be a huge difference in the quality of your opponents in the cup, where Sherwood didn't have the luxury of the Europa league group stage, playing FC No Mark who finished 3rd (on goal difference) in the 5 team Lithuanian premier league to get his win percentage up. I think a good indication is PL points per game as that factors in the wins and the losses. IIRC didn't Tim also have our best record when that method was used?

He had a 0% win percentage against West Ham.

We can all use small sample sizes and ignore context to prove whatever we want.

My point all along was that it was a benefit.

If you can find a post where I said that a manager needs it to do well I would be surprised as that's clearly not my opinion.

I thought it was somebody else that said it made poch a better choice because of it I argued it and you took up the mantle

I'm not reading all the way back now up at 5 but I still stand by it if your good enough as a manager or coach it will not matter its not the same as a player

He had a 0% win percentage against West Ham.

We can all use small sample sizes and ignore context to prove whatever we want.

Under both our managers last season..... :-"

At what point does a sample size become large enough? 10 games?.... 20?.... 40?... 500?!? Who is the 'sample size rule maker'?

Last edited:
I have to ask, who of all the linked coaches would most likely play with two strikers at points in the season?

I have to say I don't think I'd want a coach who could NEVER play with two striker. I quite like the ability to play a diamond formation as BRodgers did later in the season,

Has Poch ever gone with two strikers, or even three?

'It is believed that Daniel Levy will hand Rafa Benitez a huge war-chest to bring in new players with striker Goran Pandev and attacking midfielder Marek Hamsik both currently at Napoli top of Benitez wish list. The pair would set back around £50 million.'

If this is a quote from that, then straight away it can be put in the BS file. Levy sanction 50m for those two? :ross:

Back