• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Madrid's style of play > Bayern's/Pep's.

Give me some of that please Pochy, none of this slow tempo 70% possession side to side crap.

I agree.

HOWEVER

I dont think there are absolutes. I think there is a case for both attacking football and possession football. There is a balance and its about timing. You go out to attack the opposition (catch them off guard if you will) and when you get the two or three goals then switch tactics to possession football still with an attacking intent but not so much gung ho. In effect its going out to win the game. Last season we lost so many games before we even started - all those early goals and mistakes cost us big time.

I want FDB whether he is better than Poch remains to be seen but one thing I like and this seems trivial is that FDB would be ours and not been with anyone in the premier league... would be sweeter etc.

It's about balance. To argue that possession football is dead is truly ridiculous. The argument is on how to make your possession more effective.

Hahaha so what replaces it non possesional football ?
How does that even work

I know. So much nonsense talked about tactics nowadays, probably down to the internet and FM everyone seems to think they are some kind or tactical genius.

If you offered ANY manager 100% possession before kick off are people seriously trying to suggest that there is a manager somewhere that wouldn't take it??? Come on!!

I know. So much nonsense talked about tactics nowadays, probably down to the internet and FM everyone seems to think they are some kind or tactical genius.

If you offered ANY manager 100% possession before kick off are people seriously trying to suggest that there is a manager somewhere that wouldn't take it??? Come on!!

Timmeh wouldn't. Apparently Hull were most at risk of conceding yesterday when they had the ball :s

Possession football is great, as long as it's not possession for the sake of possession. For me it worked perfectly at Barcelona under Guardiola because they had two quick footed, technically brilliant passers in Xavi and Iniesta, along with (at the time) the best player in the World who could create something out of nothing when the opposition were all camped defending their own penalty area in high numbers. Take out two of those three players (and especially Messi) and suddenly it can become easy to defend against (as I felt our style was under AVB). However Barcelona had those players and therefore it made sense to play that style.

A great manager will have a style in mind and one that he wants to work towards, but will shape his team and tactics to fit the players he has available. It was the day that we tried to play a high defensive line at home to Liverpool with Dawson and Capoue as our centre halves when I realised that AVB was a charlatan.

Well unless you managed to score with the very last kick of the game then every game would have to be nil nil. So I'm not sure about that..... In fact you wouldn't even be able to start the second half, or potentially any game in which you lost the toss! ;)

I can't say I was that impressed with Southampton when they played us at WHL, and we beat them twice despite managerial upheaval. Excepting Sherwood's embarrassing occasional media interactions why would our board think Poch was a significant upgrade on Sherwood, or on AVB, who they only just sacked.

If we appoint Poch I will be very unimpressed. I think there would be a good chance of just repeating the AVB experience. There seems to be a sado-masochistic streak running through the club; everytime it looks as if we are really going to make progress, we shoot ourselves in the foot. It's depressing.

Timmeh wouldn't. Apparently Hull were most at risk of conceding yesterday when they had the ball :s
I can see his point. When arsenal had the ball, Hull got both wing backs defensive, had their 3 central defenders and another 3 players screening in front of them. Arsenal only looked like they could only score off of a set piece and Hull probably fancied themselves defending those (despite the fact that they ended up conceding from 2 of them). However Hull getting the ball and moving forward would get the wing backs pushing on, along with one or two of the midfielders screening the defence and leave space for Arsenal to exploit on the counter.

Last edited:
I can't say I was that impressed with Southampton when they played us at WHL, and we beat them twice despite managerial upheaval. Excepting Sherwood's embarrassing occasional media interactions why would our board think Poch was a significant upgrade on Sherwood, or on AVB, who they only just sacked.

If we appoint Poch I will be very unimpressed. I think there would be a good chance of just repeating the AVB experience. There seems to be a sado-masochistic streak running through the club; everytime it looks as if we are really going to make progress, we shoot ourselves in the foot. It's depressing.
I think I am with you. For me Poch is a bigger gamble than keeping Tim on.

How is getting someone in with over a year and a half experience managing a premier league club, changing the way they play football, proven to beating bigger sides more of a gamble than keeping Sherwood on who hadn't a hopes in hells chance of beating one of the top four and shows as much class as el hadji diouf

How is getting someone in with over a year and a half experience managing a premier league club, changing the way they play football, proven to beating bigger sides more of a gamble than keeping Sherwood on who hadn't a hopes in hells chance of beating one of the top four and shows as much class as el hadji diouf
Because Sherwood won almost 60% of his PL games in charge. Look, I don't think for one second that Sherwood was the answer, but, so far Pochetino hasn't done anything spectacular at all to warrant being given our top job. The 40 odd million he spent on Osvaldo, Waynyama and Lovren also looks poor value for money.

Im only saying this as its pertinent to what your now saying but a certain managerial candidate said and I quote
" why make 6 passes if you can score with 3 "
Football is about scoring and all tactics should be focused on that surely ?

What's the point in defending a lead you have not got yet ?

When football becomes a game of just don't concede and no risk it ceases to become a spectacle no ?

I can see his point. When arsenal had the ball, Hull got both wing backs defensive, had their 3 central defenders and another 3 players screening in front of them. Arsenal only looked like they could only score off of a set piece and Hull probably fancied themselves defending those (despite the fact that they ended up conceding from 2 of them). However Hull getting the ball and moving forward would get the wing backs pushing on, along with one or two of the midfielders screening the defence and leave space for Arsenal to exploit on the counter.

Timmeh didn't (and would never) say that though. It would be at odds with his "football is a simple game for simpletons" belief system.

Timmeh didn't (and would never) say that though. It would be at odds with his "football is a simple game for simpletons" belief system.
But I suspect it was this that he was thinking, no?.... Hull looked incredibly comfortable defensively yesterday when Arsenal built from the back I thought. On another note did Ozil really cost 4 times as much as Eriksen, while being older and on about 5 times the wages? :lol:

Im only saying this as its pertinent to what your now saying but a certain managerial candidate said and I quote
" why make 6 passes if you can score with 3 "
Football is about scoring and all tactics should be focused on that surely ?

What's the point in defending a lead you have not got yet ?

When football becomes a game of just don't concede and no risk it ceases to become a spectacle no ?
Which of the candidates said this?.... Whichever one it was, that is the manager I want for our club!

Back