• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Season

Re: 2014/2015. If it was up to you

Give Sherwood the job and back him - that means Chairman and fans.

Depending if certain players leave in the summer (Lloris, Verthongen etc.), I want as few transfers as possible. We need to work with what we've got now and give it time to settle and grow. Yet another squad overall is the last thing that we need and it's the root cause of all of our problems. My only real areas of concern are LB and GK cover. Fix those and nothing more please.

My one and only wish is that we get a new manager in. And that manager is given the time and patience by the board and the fans to mould the squad.

some good shouts. kruse and garay e.g, i forgot about those

definitely dont want konoplyanka. lamela is our inside forward we dont need two inverted wingers. we'll become more predictable and less dimensional. one inverted winger and one out and out winger is the answer and way more frightening to deal with.
I cant remember the amount of times chadli has taken up good positions on the left/townsend taking up good positions on the right which was crying out for someone to take the ball on the outside and whip a cross in. instead it was the usual cut inside, halt play, allow the other team back then amount to nothing. dont believe the hype, wingers are necessary

Other than Lennon, can you name a decent orthodox winger operating at the top level? It's no coincidence that our other 3 wide players - Lamela, Chadli and Townsend - are all inverted. Kids have been coached to play inverted for a good decade now. Blimey it's even become commonplace in Sunday League.

Just as important, can you name a forward who thrives on crosses? Andy Carroll - ok. Another one? It's not just a generation of wide players who have been coached out of crossing, it's a generation of forwards who have been coached to be served primarily by through balls. Moyes' retro crossing approach has made him a laughing stock.

Give Sherwood the job and back him - that means Chairman and fans.

You watch training from the stands as well Tim?

Depending if certain players leave in the summer (Lloris, Verthongen etc.), I want as few transfers as possible. We need to work with what we've got now and give it time to settle and grow. Yet another squad overall is the last thing that we need and it's the root cause of all of our problems. My only real areas of concern are LB and GK cover. Fix those and nothing more please.

My one and only wish is that we get a new manager in. And that manager is given the time and patience by the board and the fans to mould the squad.

Realistically these two requirements are mutually exclusive.

Levy agrees with you. From his statement today:

“Whilst this season’s performances and results have not lived up to expectation, we believe our squad has potential.

“Our focus therefore is to continue to invest in and develop the squad - we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval, but rather to strengthen in key positions.

Realistically these two requirements are mutually exclusive.

IMO LVG is much more suited to work with AVB's squad than Timmeh is. LVG likes young, versatile, technical and submissive players who can be moulded to his system. Timmeh likes character players who can play in the absence of a system. We'll have a far higher turnover of players if we don't change managers.

IMO LVG is much more suited to work with AVB's squad than Timmeh is. LVG likes young, versatile, technical and submissive players who can be moulded to his system. Timmeh likes character players who can play in the absence of a system. We'll have a far higher turnover of players if we don't change managers.

Wishful thinking?

Well fellow spurs fans.

Today has pretty much killed off any hope that we can achieve top 4 and the europa league is pretty dead as well. Today I think we played well but we lacked flair & guile in the final third, its not much consolation to me though losing to those scummy f**kers!

so...there is always next season...can we be positive? will we have a new manager at the helm? will there be little or lots of transfer movement? will our seven signings be better next season? or will they/we give up and go seperate ways?

I worry that there will be high player turnover and we will have to endure another season of transition.

Its the perfect time to start planning...so I wonder what other people think we should do player wise?

there is already a thread for this

Navas is doing alright.

As a wide midfielder he's doing very well. As a traditional winger, not so much.

Despite his ridiculous completion rate for crosses (10x that of any mere mortal footballer - including Bale) most of his key passes are to areas outside the box. Much of his work is done just in front of the halfway line and selection bias does the rest.

It's what I like to call the "Match of the Day effect"

All I want is to get in a manager who know how to organise a team defensively to ensure we are tough to beat and concede far fewer goal scoring opportunities, and then to implement a game plan that is not reliant on passing the ball sideways and hoping that 'something' happens. With players like Eriksen who are great at finding spaces between the lines, it's is shocking how poor we are at creating clear chances.

All I want is to get in a manager who know how to organise a team defensively to ensure we are tough to beat and concede far fewer goal scoring opportunities, and then to implement a game plan that is not reliant on passing the ball sideways and hoping that 'something' happens. With players like Eriksen who are great at finding spaces between the lines, it's is shocking how poor we are at creating clear chances.

This is it, honestly I think we could start next season with a new LB and the same team (with all fit) and get much better results if

- We got organized better
- Understood how things worked together, e.g. High Line requires midfield pressing
- Made movement so our players have a pass option (quite embarrassing how Southampton players always had a pass on, and we didn't), what happened to the triangle passing of Harry's time?
- Play to the strength of certain players, i.e. get the ball to Eriksen, or if going to a wide/fast player, play early ball, work out the right service for Solly.
- Work on a distribution plan from the back (Hugo, love you, but the kicking isn't working)

To me, its a fairly basic list of coaching requirements, nothing more.

Based on his tenure here...it's a total myth AVB likes technically gifted players. I've done this before but lets take a closer look at what AVB has done during his time here:

Last Season
* Was not a fan of VDV and was happy to see the back of him.
* Was not a fan of Huddlestone. Decided Livermore was a better choice in the centre. Gave Huddlestone little to no chance.
* Was not a fan of BAE. Decided Kyle Naughton was a better candidate for the LB slot in a lot of games.
* Was not a fan of Adebayor and preferred Defoe starting in a lot of games.
* Was a massive fan of Michael Dawson after initially not being. Bigged him up at every opportunity.
* Was a massive fan of Clint Dempsey. Another technically lacking player.

This season
* Kept Dawson and sold Caulker who is technically better than Dawson (altough i don't rate caulker and do not consider him technically gifted)
* Loaned out BAE
* No time for Ade.
* Had a lot of time for Invisibilinho who was practically undroppable.
* Had a lot of time for Chadli on the left who did nothing in that position bar playing it safe.
* Gave Lamela little to no chance. Our most technically gifted player.
* Alternated weekly between Eriksen and the 'plucky' Holtby for the AM role.

A total MYTH that he favoured technically gifted players that has been brought up so so many times despite evidence otherwise. His football philosophy would make the 'typical' British manager proud.

Based on his tenure here...it's a total myth AVB likes technically gifted players. I've done this before but lets take a closer look at what AVB has done during his time here:

Last Season
* Was not a fan of Huddlestone. Decided Livermore was a better choice in the centre. Gave Huddlestone little to no chance.
* Was not a fan of BAE. Decided Kyle Naughton was a better candidate for the LB slot in a lot of games.
* Was a massive fan of Michael Dawson after initially not being. Bigged him up at every opportunity.

This season
* Kept Dawson and sold Caulker who is technically better than Dawson (altough i don't rate caulker and do not consider him technically gifted)
* Loaned out BAE
* No time for Ade.
* Had a lot of time for Chadli on the left who did nothing in that position bar playing it safe.

A total MYTH that he favoured technically gifted players that has been brought up so so many times despite evidence otherwise. His football philosophy would make the 'typical' British manager proud.

Good post. AVB clearly prefers hard working 'fit & strong' players to technical ones. It's always been the case and I'm not sure where this whole AVB like 'technical' players comes from.

With regard to is football philosophy, it's not in the British 'neanderthal 4-4-2 let's get at'em' style that GB and Scara would have you believe any British manager that isn't AF employ's. But as far as I can gather (although I'm too young to have actually seen them) it seems fairly similar to the Liverpool possession football back in the 70's/80's.

Other than Lennon, can you name a decent orthodox winger operating at the top level? It's no coincidence that our other 3 wide players - Lamela, Chadli and Townsend - are all inverted. Kids have been coached to play inverted for a good decade now. Blimey it's even become commonplace in Sunday League.

Just as important, can you name a forward who thrives on crosses? Andy Carroll - ok. Another one? It's not just a generation of wide players who have been coached out of crossing, it's a generation of forwards who have been coached to be served primarily by through balls. Moyes' retro crossing approach has made him a laughing stock.

We clearly watch a different sport

Don't believe the 1980s hype, traditional wingers are a waste of a starting place.

Crossing is incredibly ineffectual as a method of scoring. It excites the traditionalist though which is why it isn't yet dead. That combined with the fact that a cross is a very identifiable method of attack, you only need to score from it every few games for people to think "Hey, that works - we need to do more of it" forgetting the hundreds of failed crosses in that time period.

http://2plus2equals11.wordpress.com/category/crossing/

Absolute ********

Last Season

This season
* Loaned out BAE
* No time for Ade.

Most of those issues are largely speculative. It's equally as valid to say...

Last season
- AVB didn't want VDV because he was consistently incapable of finishing 90mins.
- Huddlestone also had fitness and mobility issues so didn't fit in either with AVB's preferred requirements.
- It suspect he didn't like BAE's attitude. Similarly with Adebayor. There was always an emphasis on team effort and squad morale and neither of those two exactly fit that mould
- Dawson, again didn't suit his high line, but by all accounts worked his **** off to earn a place. Either way he was always destined to be a back-up but we always had our first choices injured.
- Dempsey was sold after one season, not exactly befitting a massive fan.

This season
- Rumblings that Caulker was sold for off the field antics.
- BAE clearly didn't give a ****, still doesn't if his QPR performances are anything to go by.
- Ade has a **** attitude. Always has, always will. Only plays when it suits himself.
- Paulinho, by all accounts, was the only player AVB wanted that he actually got. Hasn't exactly worked out so far but he showed some decent moments early in the season.
- Chadli wasn't too bad on the left, certainly more productive for the team than Townsend on the right.
- Lamela needed time to bed in, but I agree that AVB didn't handle him well.

I think AVB preferred technically gifted players, as long as they could fulfill his instructions of pressing aggressively. That requires a certain level fitness, hard work and discipline. Just because he wouldn't tolerate passengers in the team doesn't mean he wanted cloggers.

Kind of pointless still discussing AVB, but I think there remains a bit of an unjustified misconception about him

Most of those issues are largely speculative. It's equally as valid to say...

Last season
- AVB didn't want VDV because he was consistently incapable of finishing 90mins.
- Huddlestone also had fitness and mobility issues so didn't fit in either with AVB's preferred requirements.
- It suspect he didn't like BAE's attitude. Similarly with Adebayor. There was always an emphasis on team effort and squad morale and neither of those two exactly fit that mould
- Dawson, again didn't suit his high line, but by all accounts worked his **** off to earn a place. Either way he was always destined to be a back-up but we always had our first choices injured.
- Dempsey was sold after one season, not exactly befitting a massive fan.

This season
- Rumblings that Caulker was sold for off the field antics.
- BAE clearly didn't give a ****, still doesn't if his QPR performances are anything to go by.
- Ade has a **** attitude. Always has, always will. Only plays when it suits himself.
- Paulinho, by all accounts, was the only player AVB wanted that he actually got. Hasn't exactly worked out so far but he showed some decent moments early in the season.
- Chadli wasn't too bad on the left, certainly more productive for the team than Townsend on the right.
- Lamela needed time to bed in, but I agree that AVB didn't handle him well.

I think AVB preferred technically gifted players, as long as they could fulfill his instructions of pressing aggressively. That requires a certain level fitness, hard work and discipline. Just because he wouldn't tolerate passengers in the team doesn't mean he wanted cloggers.

Kind of pointless still discussing AVB, but I think there remains a bit of an unjustified misconception about him

What evidence do you have to back this claim?

He wouldn't tolerate 'passengers' yet he picked Invisibilinho every game...the king of passengers?

Back