• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I think a couple of parties used the press to fish for reaction re:Gattusso.

I suspect that Gattuso's camp leaked to the press to see what other interest there was. Given that he had only walked from Fiorentina that morning, I don't believe that we had anything more than a preliminary chat. Romano trumped the rest for RTs and attention.

I'd rather take longer and make the right decision.

I think we're past that point. Pre-season starts in 2 weeks. We've gone through the preferred names; we now just need to secure of the remaining names which are being thrown around, whether thats Martinez, Nuno, Potter or ETH etc. There's not much difference between them; all have risks. I dont mean that we need to go to Southgate or Eddie Howe, but securing one of those names soon is a priority. My fear is that Paratici's come up with some random italian

I can buy this.

I wonder what the Paratici plan is in that case though? If any truth in the Fonseca talks, why did we decide to walk away? Was Gattuso seen as obviously better? Would we have been surprised by the fan backlash?

Seems like Paratici is trying to leverage his Italian contacts, and it isn’t going to be Conte, Fonseca or Gattuso? Who is out there that would represent a worthwhile and justifiable fit that meant we spent this time on it?

There’s obviously some noise out there that is saying Levy wants an attack minded coach where as Paratici wanted a more defence minded coach, and that’s why Fonseca didn’t work out. But I’m a big believer in not believing everything you read, so I’m taking that with a pinch of salt. I really do
hope there is alignment between them though. And I’m very curious who is on the Paratici shortlist that makes this all worth it.

And yet all the articles I've read about Fonseca were that they attacked well but can't defend. So why would the dof want him?
Strange

Reactions: DTA
And yet all the articles I've read about Fonseca were that they attacked well but can't defend. So why would the dof want him?
Strange

Maybe that’s why it broke down ultimately?

Timing certainly seems weird. If Paratici genuinely thinks Gattuso is a prodigy and his Fiorentina exit was an opportunity not to be missed, we’d have to be incredibly sure he’d be a better fit than Fonseca to go for him that quickly. It then calls into question how we handled dumping off Fonseca only to can the idea of Gattuso as quickly as it started.

It’s all very confusing. I wonder if @thfcsteff ’s point about Paratici having an adaptation period to how things are done in England is quite true.

Maybe that’s why it broke down ultimately?

Timing certainly seems weird. If Paratici genuinely thinks Gattuso is a prodigy and his Fiorentina exit was an opportunity not to be missed, we’d have to be incredibly sure he’d be a better fit than Fonseca to go for him that quickly. It then calls into question how we handled dumping off Fonseca only to can the idea of Gattuso as quickly as it started.

It’s all very confusing. I wonder if @thfcsteff ’s point about Paratici having an adaptation period to how things are done in England is quite true.

Paratici's record for appointing managers is 0 for 1. He may be great at other aspects of his job but I would be more comfortable with Levy making that choice at least he record is roughly 50%

Paratici's record for appointing managers is 0 for 1. He may be great at other aspects of his job but I would be more comfortable with Levy making that choice at least he record is roughly 50%

I’ve just been reading the thread on TFC and there is some interesting discussion on there about Paratici. If it’s the case that Levy over ruled him on Fonseca and then Gattuso was a pretty swift failure as a recommendation, is Paratici going to be happy with these events? Is he right for us? Is he any good, has he made some bad early decisions?

No doubt he’s connected and hard working. Levy called him a tough negotiator so from a deal philosophy they are probably pretty well aligned. I wonder if they are lined up on football philosophy as well as they hoped? The whole no to Fonseca, no to Gattuso couple of days was a pretty curious state of events.

Via an "ITK" on SC

Told talks are set regarding ETH for tomorrow. From what I hear It is still doable but will cost us more than it would have a few weeks ago. Ajax are not going to let this drag on so it needs working out quickly. We have spoken to Valverde's people but ETH is still preferred by some. Levy wasn't keen before, and I don't know if anything has changed on that front, but we are talking again.

Via an "ITK" on SC

Told talks are set regarding ETH for tomorrow. From what I hear It is still doable but will cost us more than it would have a few weeks ago. Ajax are not going to let this drag on so it needs working out quickly. We have spoken to Valverde's people but ETH is still preferred by some. Levy wasn't keen before, and I don't know if anything has changed on that front, but we are talking again.

Thanks. Setting aside whether there's any truth in it, if Ajax dont want it to drag on then thats good for us too. Not sure why we'd be goin back though if Levy wasn't keen before!

I’m absolutely positive we decided the fit was wrong and so did he.

I’m not saying I wanted Conte as such. Just that he would have been a calibre of appointment that said we were gonna go for the title either this season or next. That we were ready to give someone the backing to do it. So not getting him says something about the clubs plans, which we can then discuss.
Without knowing more about why the fit wasn't right, it's hard to say it gives us any real clues as to our direction.

I suspect, given his reputation and what we've spent on our academy, that he didn't consider our youth players to be as important as we do.

But that's purely speculation, just like from you and all the journalists.

It is one way.
The other way with quoteless reportage is that it is designed to drop the word without outing the source. That word becomes weaponised by PRs on both sides. That's where it gets messy as sides filter their stuff through trusted tributaries. The main thing is to keep your doors shut tight.
That's not really in Levy's playbook though.

The club had a lot of leaks during flappy gob's time here (unsurprisingly), Levy did a lot of good work to stop those leaks. I'd be surprised if he completely changed tack and started leaking info on every name out there.

I think we're past that point. Pre-season starts in 2 weeks. We've gone through the preferred names; we now just need to secure of the remaining names which are being thrown around, whether thats Martinez, Nuno, Potter or ETH etc. There's not much difference between them; all have risks. I dont mean that we need to go to Southgate or Eddie Howe, but securing one of those names soon is a priority. My fear is that Paratici's come up with some random italian
How can we be past that point before the Euros have finished?

There will be international managers looking for work in a week or so.

How can we be past that point before the Euros have finished?

There will be international managers looking for work in a week or so.

There's 24 managers in the Euros and I'm sure if someone had the time you would be able to eliminate a good number of those because it seems inevitable that they'd stay on (eg mancini, deschamps), a number of others who are deemed to not be good enough (de boer), not experienced enough or dont play the right sort of football, and you probably get down to a relatively small number who you might want and might well leave the country they're managing.

Obviously there will be some for whom the question is uncertain, but with pre-season training beginning in 2 weeks and a lot of transfer business to be done, I think we're beyond late with this appointment. OK, the DoF will do a large amount of legwork for the transfers, but the manager's view will surely be sought

Without knowing more about why the fit wasn't right, it's hard to say it gives us any real clues as to our direction.

I suspect, given his reputation and what we've spent on our academy, that he didn't consider our youth players to be as important as we do.

But that's purely speculation, just like from you and all the journalists.

Which is just another way of saying we aren’t going to back a manager to try and win the league in the next couple of years. Which is fine - I’m not saying we should spend money we don’t have if Lewis isn’t going to invest - but it does tell us something about our trajectory and standing in the game.

There's 24 managers in the Euros and I'm sure if someone had the time you would be able to eliminate a good number of those because it seems inevitable that they'd stay on (eg mancini, deschamps), a number of others who are deemed to not be good enough (de boer), not experienced enough or dont play the right sort of football, and you probably get down to a relatively small number who you might want and might well leave the country they're managing.

Obviously there will be some for whom the question is uncertain, but with pre-season training beginning in 2 weeks and a lot of transfer business to be done, I think we're beyond late with this appointment. OK, the DoF will do a large amount of legwork for the transfers, but the manager's view will surely be sought

Exactly. Who is the Euros manager that makes waiting this length of time all worth it?

Which is just another way of saying we aren’t going to back a manager to try and win the league in the next couple of years. Which is fine - I’m not saying we should spend money we don’t have if Lewis isn’t going to invest - but it does tell us something about our trajectory and standing in the game.
I don't think it means that at all.

What it means is that we will need to supplement new signings with academy players, just as we always have. That doesn't mean the manager needs to be playing kids who aren't at the level yet, but it does mean he will have to work with an eye on the academy, be willing to ensure a consistent training and tactical setup, be involved in the direction and growth of those younger players.

So no players are returning for the next 2 weeks?

Why the hurry then?

I don't think it means that at all.

What it means is that we will need to supplement new signings with academy players, just as we always have. That doesn't mean the manager needs to be playing kids who aren't at the level yet, but it does mean he will have to work with an eye on the academy, be willing to ensure a consistent training and tactical setup, be involved in the direction and growth of those younger players.

I’m all for that, but it’s not a strategy that suggests we are pushing for the title in the next 1-2 years. Especially as you say it’s ‘just as we always have’.

Back