• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I think almost all of the links have been made up. That's how quoteless journalism works.

Care to take a guess as to what we’ve been doing for two months? I’m genuinely interested in alternative takes.

For me, if we pull ETH out of the bag, it would almost all have been worth it. I don’t quite understand why we didn’t do it weeks ago, unless we’re doing a play similar to our transfer dealing of letting the time go in and lowering the comp (not even sure that makes sense…) if we were gonna do it, but that would be worth it.

Otherwise, I just can’t see another realistic option that makes a chaotic 2 month manager hunt worth it. Every other option would seemingly be a big risk, somewhat unproven, and would be a downgrade from what we had with Pochettino.

Ok. Agree to disagree.
You are either blissfully unaware or for some reason deluding yourself. For Fonseca,Conte and Gattuso they all broke the stories in Italy between Romano and that DiMarzio guy and there was nothing from any of your ever so reliable club sources until after the news broke there. Oh and for Poch it was Pitt-Brooke at the Athletic that broke the story, nothing from your guys until after that one broke either. There is no argument, nothing to agree to disagree on, that is fact - seriously what is wrong with you, it’s not even a big deal no one knows what’s really going on:D…..

Care to take a guess as to what we’ve been doing for two months? I’m genuinely interested in alternative takes.

For me, if we pull ETH out of the bag, it would almost all have been worth it. I don’t quite understand why we didn’t do it weeks ago, unless we’re doing a play similar to our transfer dealing of letting the time go in and lowering the comp (not even sure that makes sense…) if we were gonna do it, but that would be worth it.

Otherwise, I just can’t see another realistic option that makes a chaotic 2 month manager hunt worth it. Every other option would seemingly be a big risk, somewhat unproven, and would be a downgrade from what we had with Pochettino.

We spoke to him and moved on to candidates we preferred

I think that it is possibly true that we had spoken to Gattuso after he left Fiorentina. I don't believe that he was lined up to be our next manager within hours. I suspect that Gattuso leaked to the Italian press and then Romano exaggerated the links. Journos here repeated what he had said because, as @scaramanga says, they have to file a story or two every day and don't have anything to write about

Another one. Why are you assuming our journalists follow Romano, rather than having their own links to the club given we know they have access?

But regardless, we are talking about things at the margins now. As I understood it, there was a group of people here saying ‘don’t believe everything you read’ as if to say the club has it all in hand, trust their plan. Because another group was saying ‘this has been going on a while now, there doesn’t seem to be a stand out candidate, and that’s a bit concerning.’

If everyone is broadly in agreement on the latter point, and some just want to pile in on Gold…fine. I don’t really care. But the ‘don’t believe everything you read’ definitely had a whiff of ‘don’t criticise my club or chairman’ about it.

You are either blissfully unaware or for some reason deluding yourself. For Fonseca,Conte and Gattuso they all broke the stories in Italy between Romano and that DiMarzio guy and there was nothing from any of your ever so reliable club sources until after the news broke there. Oh and for Poch it was Pitt-Brooke at the Athletic that broke the story, nothing from your guys until after that one broke either. There is no argument, nothing to agree to disagree on, that is fact - seriously what is wrong with you, it’s not even a big deal no one knows what’s really going on:D…..

Pitt-Brooke is one of ‘my guys’, so what is your point there?

No one knows what is going on. We’ve just waited two months to bide our time and enact the strategic master plan.

Another one. Why are you assuming our journalists follow Romano, rather than having their own links to the club given we know they have access?

But regardless, we are talking about things at the margins now. As I understood it, there was a group of people here saying ‘don’t believe everything you read’ as if to say the club has it all in hand, trust their plan. Because another group was saying ‘this has been going on a while now, there doesn’t seem to be a stand out candidate, and that’s a bit concerning.’

If everyone is broadly in agreement on the latter point, and some just want to pile in on Gold…fine. I don’t really care. But the ‘don’t believe everything you read’ definitely had a whiff of ‘don’t criticise my club or chairman’ about it.

Because I can see the sequence that these stories break in and where they originate. I do think that Gold, Pitt-Brooke and Kilpatrick have contacts at the club and get fed stories but that doesn't mean that everything they write comes from those sources and sometimes they are just repeating crap to fill column inches.

Because I can see the sequence that these stories break in and where they originate. I do think that Gold, Pitt-Brooke and Kilpatrick have contacts at the club and get fed stories but that doesn't mean that everything they write comes from those sources and sometimes they are just repeating crap to fill column inches.

And frankly, their editors will tell them to write a story on Gattuso or whoever because that is what will get the clicks. It is factory farm journalism.

I think we are waiting for Gallardo now, who has said he won't come to Europe till the end of River Plate's season

And frankly, their editors will tell them to write a story on Gattuso or whoever because that is what will get the clicks. It is factory farm journalism.

Ok, fine. We didn’t talk to them any where near as deeply and it was all leaks from Italy that started it.

So what’s the plan? Why are we waiting this long, and why will it be worth it when it’s all revealed? I don’t care about individual journalists, I care about the trajectory of the club. Let’s agree that the club is being methodical, and going for who we want. We’re being strategic, and we have it in hand. Who is it? What are we doing? Why are we waiting? Why will it be worth it?

Ok, fine. We didn’t talk to them any where near as deeply and it was all leaks from Italy that started it.

So what’s the plan? Why are we waiting this long, and why will it be worth it when it’s all revealed? I don’t care about individual journalists, I care about the trajectory of the club. Let’s agree that the club is being methodical, and going for who we want. We’re being strategic, and we have it in hand. Who is it? What are we doing? Why are we waiting? Why will it be worth it?

I think that we probably did talk to them but that the stories were inflated, particularly with Gattuso.

I think that there isn't much of a plan and that the club are royally fudging this up. If we wanted a DoF we should've brought one in back in the spring to run the recruitment, rather than in June and then rip up the original short list.

On the house journos in the UK and how reliable they are, I would recommend reading up on "churnalism" and it will give you a better idea of how the modern media works.

I neither know nor care. I'll judge the process on the outcome, not on the rumours in the meantime.

Interesting shout. Why do you think he is realistic and what is it about him that you are intrigued by? Genuinely interested and thank you for offering up something different.
He's simply blown away South American football. He's been about the most successful manager ever over there, but is also still young.

Barcelona wanted him a while ago, but he told them he'd only move at and end of a season (and Argentina is out of kilter with Europe)

Style wise he's more Poch than Poch. Very charismatic in a warm way. High tempo attractive football. Tactically very smart too

I think that we probably did talk to them but that the stories were inflated, particularly with Gattuso.

I think that there isn't much of a plan and that the club are royally fudging this up. If we wanted a DoF we should've brought one in back in the spring to run the recruitment, rather than in June and then rip up the original short list.

On the house journos in the UK and how reliable they are, I would recommend reading up on "churnalism" and it will give you a better idea of how the modern media works.

Mate…I appreciate it but I’m aware of Churnalism. It seems that you agree, the club is fudging this up. Or certainly that it doesn’t look great. So why have me and a few others had to deal with the ‘don’t believe everything you read’ stuff the last few days?

If you’re saying that, it has to be that you think the club has it all in hand? Or, we shouldn’t believe it because you think they are mucking it up with a different group of candidates that hasn’t been reported. Either way it ain’t great, so I’m not entirely sure what the point of denigrating certain journalists is? I don’t care about anyone’s feelings towards them, I care about the direction of the club. What are people trying to say when they say not to believe the rumours?

I neither know nor care. I'll judge the process on the outcome, not on the rumours in the meantime.

Fair enough. In the meantime, time is passing. Candidates that would have said something about the ambition and direction of the club like Conte are already out of the running, so we can already draw some conclusions around exactly where we sit in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, get Mancini, doing excellent with Italy, has won the league and knows a cold and lonely Tuesday night up norf...

no brainer! BUT, well.... our expectations are being managed by Levy and the board atm so let's see

I think we are waiting for Gallardo now, who has said he won't come to Europe till the end of River Plate's season

Still it's ETH.
Think he is either hedging his bets to see what happens with fdb or he is dealing hard because of how we were ready to move onto poch and dump him.

Back