• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

You think Spurs with Mason had a better chance to win the final than Spurs with Jose?

Where is that meme for someone leaving the room! Man can't can't.

Our win ratio was no worse under Mason was it? We looked more proactive. More comfortable. More able to score and compete. At the end the players were not engaged in Mourinho's plans. They felt able to play again under Mason. So yes I think we had a better chance under Mason than we did under Mourinho at the end.

I think that you've misunderstood the point he was making. It's that there probably isn't a place for him in his usual positions within Conte's system. I think that this is a bit of a problem for our wide forwards. With Lamela, it doesn't matter because he's off to Italy

I was making a joke.

Our win ratio was no worse under Mason was it? We looked more proactive. More comfortable. More able to score and compete. At the end the players were not engaged in Mourinho's plans. They felt able to play again under Mason. So yes I think we had a better chance under Mason than we did under Mourinho at the end.
Completely agree with this. IMO we had no chance under Mourinho - for the reasons outlined above - and we had a (slim) chance under Mason on the back of a possible post Mourinho ‘bounce’.

I think that you've misunderstood the point he was making. It's that there probably isn't a place for him in his usual positions within Conte's system. I think that this is a bit of a problem for our wide forwards. With Lamela, it doesn't matter because he's off to Italy

But seriously the reason why I found the Lamela thing more egregious is because you could see a world where Lucas and SB get trained as wing backs like Moses. They are pacey, they play wide, they can go on the outside. Lamela isn’t that. Just though it was a strange comment.

But seriously the reason why I found the Lamela thing more egregious is because you could see a world where Lucas and SB get trained as wing backs like Moses. They are pacey, they play wide, they can go on the outside. Lamela isn’t that. Just though it was a strange comment.

it was a strange article, presumably commissioned and written in the hope that there would be an announcement today, and then hastily tweaked as the likelihood diminished.

Yes no doubt. It is Levy's baby. He's put his heart and soul into it. I am sure he knows he is not always perfect. But there are certain things you can point to where he has excelled. No owner should let go of the reigns completely. They have to outline what they want from an MD/DoF, they have to equip them, and ensure they are working in unison with the culture of the business.

Levy was one of the first to introduce a DoF setup in the UK. So you can't really accuse him of not being able to follow such a setup. Core to Spurs under Levy has been a tight reign on wages. Is it such a bad thing? Not being tied into wages a la arse with Ozil etc. Wages can be crippling and are no guarantee of success. You can often get more from people on lower wages who are hungrier. So why burden the business and club unnecessarily? Personally I like that approach. Of course for the right player - Bale last season - Levy is prepared to splash the cash. But it is calculated, and we won't be in a situation as with Ozil at the arse. That is effective and strategic management. It lowers risk and makes us more agile. Had Spurs been saddled with the wages to turnover of some of the clubs when covid hit, we would have less to spend this and last summer. Financial prudence is often criticised - "just pay the money for x y z" - but fans don't appreciate that the next signing is thanks to the prudence of the last 10.

If the personnel Levy puts in charge of each operation are doing a good job, he leaves them to it, and no doubt backs them. If they are not, then he gets involved and makes a change.

I think you could even make a case that Levy should get more involved in the footballing side, contrary to what every naysaying fan thinks. His track record in all other areas of the club has been pretty good, and he largely lets go of the footballing side to the manager. He could develop the footballing side of Spurs to carry its own culture, its own systems that are more independent of the manager of the day. Levy could put in place a stronger footballing side to Spurs which isn't dependent on whoever is hired to lead the first team. Maybe being standoffish is actually more the problem?
I am totally confused at this response - Levy is not a Football man (apart from the administrative side of running a club - so backroom operations - or are you now confident that after 20 years he can do a better job than an experienced and successful Manager?

Well there is one big stat that tells me Levy and ENIC have not got the ability or experience we need at the club. ONE trophy in 20 years - that's a shameful statistic and I have very little optimism that stat will change for the better over their tenure.

Very depressed about their ownership and virtually no confidence they will ever get it right.

Is JJetset a reliable source? I thought the fella was full of brick? I got banned on SC for comparing him to the Sun newspaper, didn’t realise he was seen as a GHod.
I thought it was known that he is the brother of a reasonably high up member of our staff?

I think that a lot of newspapers and websites are just printing any old crap at the moment because they know fans are hungry for news and everything has gone quiet. Buckle in because I doubt that we will hear anything until next week

I am totally confused at this response - Levy is not a Football man (apart from the administrative side of running a club - so backroom operations - or are you now confident that after 20 years he can do a better job than an experienced and successful Manager?

Well there is one big stat that tells me Levy and ENIC have not got the ability or experience we need at the club. ONE trophy in 20 years - that's a shameful statistic and I have very little optimism that stat will change for the better over their tenure.

Very depressed about their ownership and virtually no confidence they will ever get it right.

Apart from the clubs who have had sugar daddies appear and pour limitless money into their coffers, I’m confident most fans would happily swap their current owners for Levy

I think that a lot of newspapers and websites are just printing any old crap at the moment because they know fans are hungry for news and everything has gone quiet. Buckle in because I doubt that we will hear anything until next week
Agreed. I definitely update quite frequently to check on updates, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to take every bit of "update" as if it's an actual update on how negotiations are going.

Bit of patience and all that.

Let me be clear. This "I'm a bigger, better fan than you" stuff won't do you any favours (!!) around here. Disagreement? All good. Pointless posturing and baiting? Nah. Please. Be better.
I wasn't giving it the "I'm a bigger and better fan" nonsense. Just having a discussion.

I'm also not the one with Over forty years man and boy supporting Spurs as my sig either....

I think this kind of sentiment that lots of people feel right now, is a combination of 1. the end of an impressive phase at Spurs that promised more and 2. covid frustrations where football means more because there isn't as much else going on in peoples lives. Truth is, we're in a better position now in the next few years than we have been before in ENICs tenure. It was more exciting on the way up, but sometimes you have to take two steps back. there are cycles. Getting Poch back wasn't the answer - you can't really go back to recreate the good times - you only strive to go forward learning and improving.

As for the football side 1. You and others think there is something missing in this side of how Spurs operate. There is room for improvement. Levy has delegated this side of Spurs on the whole. So change would be the opposite - getting Levy to be involved in more effective ways. At the moment, maybe he is not involved enough. 2. You don't run a football club, attending every game, working at the training center, and remain ignorant of football do you? If you have a degree from Cambridge and are clearly intelligent, why do you think you can't understand football the way a retired pro can? 3. If you think there is room for improvement in the footballing side - which I concur with - why wouldn't you want an intelligent successful CEO who is invested, involved in it?

I do think Levy can evolve and learn from mistakes. Exploring Poch as an option shows he can admit he was wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
What worries me is that Conte is obviously a difficult man to please in terms of what he wants delivered - I'm not sure we can 100% promise that Kane will stay and it would appear that there are limited funds for transfers. If he's not convinced by the project/transfer budget on offer he may well walk away. And i'm not sure where that leaves us right now

Back