• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Seems like the press are taking turns in picking names from a hat to link to the job.
Sarri-ball after a couple of years of Mourinho...

I think it just shows that there arent a long list of obvious appointments, and thats what has helped Jose survive

This news about the Germany manager moving on has fudged up everything.

I’m guessing its fair to assume the Bayern guy is going to take the job and that Bayern will go for Nagelsmann.

No chance Nagelsmann chooses our sorry mob over Bayern. We would be a great choice for a step up for him but it carries considerable risk, which is no longer worth taking when he can go to Bayern, win the lot repeatedly and then get the Germany job himself, and then go wherever he wants afterwards.

It seems it will have to be Brendan then. I am optimistic he would do a great job. Anyone think there is a chance he would turn us down?

Also we must appoint a sporting director, preferably the ex Lille guy.
There are plenty of options besides Nagelsmann, it's not a case of him or Rodgers. Not that I'd be against Rodgers

I’m guessing its fair to assume the Bayern guy is going to take the job and that Bayern will go for Nagelsmann.

No chance Nagelsmann chooses our sorry mob over Bayern. We would be a great choice for a step up for him but it carries considerable risk, which is no longer worth taking when he can go to Bayern, win the lot repeatedly and then get the Germany job himself, and then go wherever he wants afterwards.

It seems it will have to be Brendan then. I am optimistic he would do a great job. Anyone think there is a chance he would turn us down?

Surely Bayern will just appoint Mourinho if they know he's available in the summer, why would they want Naglesmann, who's never won anything before, ahead of him??

Don’t think there’s any chance Rogers leaves Leicester for us this summer (if there’s a vacancy). He’d most probably be giving up CL, and coming to a club at which expectation will be higher with no guarantee that he’ll be backed to achieve.

He’d also be inheriting a squad which is a mess.

Brenton Todgers who is the king of the chokes, what a great fit !!!

To be fair, the only undisputed success at this club for the last 20 years wasn't exactly a proven winner when we appointed him. On the other hand, Ramos and Mourinho (to name but two) shot their respective reputations here.

It's been said a million times before but considering our levels of expectations and spending power, it's almost impossible to tell who'd be a success here. A new manager is a lottery ticket. From a fan's point of view, you can form an opinion based on the style of football you'd like to see us play but the chairman's job is to find a guy who'll fullfil these expectations. Levy's guess is as good as mine...

Last edited:
To be fair, the only undisputed success at this club for the last 20 years wasn't exactly a proven winner when we appointed him. On the other, Ramos and Mourinho (to name but two) shot their respective reputations here.

It's been said a million times before but considering our levels of expectations and spending power, it's almost impossible to tell who'd be a success here. A new manager is a lottery ticket. From a fan's point of view, you can form an opinion based on the style of football you'd like to see us play but the chairman's job is to find a guy who'll fullfil these expectations. Levy's guess is as good as mine...
We need managers who can get the best out of players
We don’t have the best players so you need to get the beat you can out of them, whether via coaching, tactics, fitness, mentality, or all of that
You don’t get that approach with some managers, and you do with others
I think the ones who are more hands on are the ones that work better with our needs... coaches more than managers. It maybe why they sometimes don’t get it over the line in those key games but it’s also why those kinda coaches wouldn’t draw with Saudi Sportswashing Machine ... and ultimately Poch, Redknapp and Jol made their improvement by beating the lesser teams more than the few better ones

We need managers who can get the best out of players
We don’t have the best players so you need to get the beat you can out of them, whether via coaching, tactics, fitness, meteorology, or all of that
You don’t get that approach with some managers, and you do with others
I think the ones who are more hands on are the ones that work better with our needs... coaches more than managers. It maybe why they sometimes don’t get it over the line in those key games but it’s also why those kinda coaches wouldn’t draw with Saudi Sportswashing Machine ... and ultimately Poch, Redknapp and Jol made their improvement by beating the lesser teams more than the few better ones

It's true but there's a fine line between a manager who gets the best out of his players and one who gets the results.

Moyes did great at Everton. It wasn't pretty but he certainly got more than the best out of his players, particularly when he got them into the Champions League. At United? Not so much.

Rodgers is earning a good little reputation for himself at Leicester but most chairmen wouldn't touch him with a bargepole after he was sacked by Liverpool.

Things go so fast in football... it's never been harder to see through the hype, the flavour of the month and actual talent. Ranieri, for instance, was never known to overperform with his squads. He was more in the Mourinho mould and yet, he won the big prize with Leicester. Twenty years ago, I had a fairly good idea of who could be a success at which club. It doesn't mean I never got it wrong but I was still able to form an opinion. These days, I might as well toss a coin...

scary though
I’ve tried to articulate why I think Potter should be out choice and so far on here I’ve managed to get a few people to “listen”
Then you seen articles that put out to actually sell papers...

Would be pleased with Potter. Would get us playing better football. And the guy clearly has an intellect and awareness.

The focus is always on the Manager but it is a team of people that do the coaching work. How you put together your team as a manager is crucial too.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It's true but there's a fine line between a manager who gets the best out of his players and one who gets the results.

Moyes did great at Everton. It wasn't pretty but he certainly got more than the best out of his players, particularly when he got them into the Champions League. At United? Not so much.

Rodgers is earning a good little reputation for himself at Leicester but most chairmen wouldn't touch him with a bargepole after he was sacked by Liverpool.

Things go so fast in football... it's never been harder to see through the hype, the flavour of the month and actual talent. Ranieri, for instance, was never known to overperform with his squads. He was more in the Mourinho mould and yet, he won the big prize with Leicester. Twenty years ago, I had a fairly good idea of who could be a success at which club. It doesn't mean I never got it wrong but I was still able to form an opinion. These days, I might as well toss a coin...
Indeed. The best example of how quickly things change is David Moyes. Sacked by West Ham with them a laughing stock, a year later he’s hired by them again and look how well they are doing now. In football it’s all about timing....

Timing is everything, from ferrgie to utd, wenger at arsenal and even Jose going to Chelsea first time around the timing was was right. It needs to be not just the right person for the club, but at the right time.
With the first two it was because rebuilds were needed, Jose was more a final piece, but they were the person for that job at that time.
Fergie takes the rangers job for three years before going to man utd and its probably too late, wenger goes to arsenal three years earlier and his methods would have met a lot more resistance.
Without denigrating what he did Jose lucked out a bit at Chelsea, almost everything was in place, he put the final touches on it and gave the club belief. That's probably what he saw with us, thing is Chelsea want to win, I don't think we as a club do.
The timing is right for us to go for someone like Potter, someone with something to prove and he knows what it's like having to do it the hard way, because let's be honest it's not going to be easy here. We don't do easy.

Indeed. The best example of how quickly things change is David Moyes. Sacked by West Ham with them a laughing stock, a year later he’s hired by them again and look how well they are doing now. In football it’s all about timing....

Makes an absolute mockery of the old never go back, something I firmly believe.
Gives me hope me you, and we all know what hope does!

The chances of him going to spurs were low before Munich, It was mentioned a few times on German TV etc he will have much better options

If him and Rodgers are our main targets we will be out of luck.

Poch, Redknapp and Jol made their improvement by beating the lesser teams more than the few better ones
All 3 made an emotional connection with the players - the arm round the shoulders - to bring out the best in the players. The opposite of what I see in Jose. All 3 played attractive football, the opposite to what I see in Jose. I was delighted when he was appointed but his inability to accept any blame for our woeful performances is contemptible.

Back