• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

It is ridiculous isn't it.
Klopp is going nowhere and neither should he.
Liverpool are having their "Poch 2018/19" moment.

For 2021 they are running bottom 6 form, after a not spectacular end to 2020. His excuse/attitude has gotten more bitter as well
His end to Dortmund was very similar, it just fell off a cliff.

Will Pool give him time to turn it around? = absolutely
Are they already looking at their options just in case? = I would bet my house on it

Just thinking, in a more general sense, do you think all managers/coaches become entrenched with a very specific tactic or style? or can we become guilty of applying confirmation bias and getting stuck with a particular narrative. Of all the attributes an individual has I'd think that specific tactics are perhaps the easiest to determine but perhaps its unrealistic to think that they automatically take them everywhere with them. Once a manager becomes labelled with a particular tactic it seems to stick with them. In addition to tactical preference there are all the intangible things you wouldn't necessarily be aware of, like man management style, motivation, emotional intelligence, ability to manage up as well as down, but could make them perfect for a different job in different circumstances.

A good manager or leader will surely adapt to the situation that they inherit and you'd think also be progressive and seek to identify new innovations. For example Sam Allardyce is always considered something of a dinosaur, old-school, very rudimentary approach and a 'proper football man' yet he was actually proved to be an innovator at Bolton.

Is is therefore churlish to think that just because manager x currently adopts a particular style of play at his club that he would automatically bring that same style to club y? For example, and I'm not suggesting that Sean Dyche would be a good appointment for us, but he has done incredibly well at Burnley taking into consideration the aspiration of the owners and working with the limited resources he has available. Who's to say that if he took over at Everton, Spurs, Man Utd that he wouldn't be able to adapt? Likewise, we might all look at Naggelsman as the man of the future for the fast paced, high intensity attacking play but perhaps he would come here and decide he just doesn't have the resources to replicate that style here.

I can think of examples like Hodgson, Pulis, Moyes and Allardyce who seem to be completely typecast but perhaps in reality they are always recruited to very similar circumstances.

Last edited:
Just thinking, in a more general sense, do you think all managers/coaches become entrenched with a very specific tactic or style? or can we become guilty of applying confirmation bias and getting stuck with a particular narrative. Of all the attributes an individual has I'd think that specific tactics are perhaps the easiest to determine but perhaps its unrealistic to think that they automatically take them everywhere with them. Once a manager becomes labelled with a particular tactic it seems to stick with them. In addition to tactical preference there are all the intangible things you wouldn't necessarily be aware of, like man management style, motivation, emotional intelligence, ability to manage up as well as down, but could make them perfect for a different job in different circumstances.

A good manager or leader will surely adapt to the situation that they inherit and you'd think also be progressive and seek to identify new innovations. For example Sam Allardyce is always considered something of a dinosaur, old-school, very rudimentary approach and a 'proper football man' yet he was actually proved to be an innovator at Bolton.

Is is therefore churlish to think that just because manager x currently adopts a particular style of play at his club that he would automatically bring that same style to club y? For example, and I'm not suggesting that Sean Dyche would be a good appointment for us, but he has done incredibly well at Burnley taking into consideration the aspiration of the owners and working with the limited resources he has available. Who's to say that if he took over at Everton, Spurs, Man Utd that he wouldn't be able to adapt? Likewise, we might all look at Naggelsman as the man of the future for the fast paced, high intensity attacking play but perhaps he would come here and decide he just doesn't have the resources to replicate that style here.

I can think of examples like Hodgson, Pulis, Moyes and Allardyce who seem to be completely typecast but perhaps in reality they are always recruited to very similar circumstances.
I think it’s a great post

The circumstance of the appointment have a big influence as you say

I mean Jose came in as a new, changed man
Have we seen that?!?!

Also an appointment can be made under one set of criteria and that can change

I’m convinced when we appointed Jose we anticipated spending plenty on players go back him, but due to Covid that hasn’t happened in the scale we had planned (like lots of clubs). Does it mean it was wrong to appoint Jose as we did ? IMO NO(although I wouldn’t have sacked Poch). But no it’s easy to say in hindsight to find flaws and say another man may have been a better fit not knowing all the details

Think whoever the next manager is they are going to have to build a team on restricted funds. Feels like the start of the Poch era.

Funds were always going to be restricted. The stadium debt and possible lower TV money in 18 months time might make it tighter too.

We have regressed in the last 18-24 months though and in my view arent really a top 4 team any more, so building over a longer period and probably based on youth would seem the most likely approach

Back