• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Tbh I agree
The Fonz suits us to a par given the business model that ENIC have. I’m hoping he can surprise us like Poch did but I got to say it’s very unlikely, that surprising hungry young dynamic we had a few years ago just doesn’t seem to be there any more and the Fonz seems a little underwhelming to me. But this is where we are under ENIC, the fact he’s only being given a two year contract doesn’t smack of confidence from their side either but let’s see

like I said the saddest thing about our predicament under the current owners is that hope has died. maybe the Fonz can reignite it

I think that's fair. I think if the Fons gets say 5th and 4th and 5th in his two seasons, it will be seen as a reasonable success. And it will show the achievements of Poch in the crazy light that they actually were.

But, it's our only choice given where we're at. I don't think a more expensive manager with a different profile works well with our constraints. And we aren't going to remove those constraints. So we have to do the best we can. Some clubs just aren't supposed to win the league unless they get very very lucky, and right now we are one of those.

You would think in this day and age with all the flimflam media outlets that sane fans would have given up believing what they read in the press. Just goes to show that there are still s ome who fall for the flimflam.

The ironic thing here is if I am remotely right about what the club did that week, it is you falling for the flimflam rather than me.

It is not new fans, that is the interesting thing. It is older fans expectations changing. I think part of it is we've been seduced by little tastes of success. Like a dope dealer, Levy feeds us enough to get us hooked :) We have created a platform from which to aspire to greater things - that is on Levy. It is his success and his failing. As many are frustrated that we're not kicking on from that platform. But it is often 2 steps forward, one step back.

Fonseca will be welcomed, he fits the bill. Only concern I have is how quickly he learns the new league and about his players and club. But he is well travelled. So hopefully he can hit the ground running with a good team behind him at Spurs.
Can only hope
And give the guy a chance
I say that as someone who didn’t want Poch. Then I was distraught when we sacked the bloke
I really didn’t want Redknapp… he did well
I did want Jol, and hen got brick on (although he did meet Saudi Sportswashing Machine about their job)
I also wanted AVB

I think that's fair. I think if the Fons gets say 5th and 4th and 5th in his two seasons, it will be seen as a reasonable success. And it will show the achievements of Poch in the crazy light that they actually were.

But, it's our only choice given where we're at. I don't think a more expensive manager with a different profile works well with our constraints. And we aren't going to remove those constraints. So we have to do the best we can. Some clubs just aren't supposed to win the league unless they get very very lucky, and right now we are one of those.
Who are those expensive managers you refer to?
Conte? Yep, very expensive and most would agree a complete contradiction for what we said we wanted only 4 weeks ago
Poch? Yep. At a doped club where money is no object and he has sensibly decided not to rock the boat to leave
Who else?
ETH? Maybe we didn’t want him. I mean I like the guy and I even suggested him 6 months ago to more and he was added to a poll on here because of that
Potter? My choice and I’ve said why several times.
Anyone else???
Rogers I guess. Actually he isn’t more expensive he just doesn’t want to leave his set up now and that’s sensible for him. He can be the big fish in a small pond and carry on the hard work

Tbh I agree
The Fonz suits us to a par given the business model that ENIC have. I’m hoping he can surprise us like Poch did but I got to say it’s very unlikely, that surprising hungry young dynamic we had a few years ago just doesn’t seem to be there any more and the Fonz seems a little underwhelming to me. But this is where we are under ENIC, the fact he’s only being given a two year contract doesn’t smack of confidence from their side either but let’s see

like I said the saddest thing about our predicament under the current owners is that hope has died. maybe the Fonz can reignite it

Poch pretty much created that out of nothing. It's not like he inherited a "hungry young dynamic" side. There are plenty of big talents on our books (Skipp, Parrott, Scarlett, Devine, Sessegnon etc), and if The Fonz manages to integrate them into the side - who knows. I think he's got the potential to be exactly what we need - but time will tell.

The alternative would have course be to sell the club, get some oil money drenched oligarchs in and splash cash on say a Conte and a completely new starting XI.

Poch pretty much created that out of nothing. It's not like he inherited a "hungry young dynamic" side. There are plenty of big talents on our books (Skipp, Parrott, Scarlett, Devine, Sessegnon etc), and if The Fonz manages to integrate them into the side - who knows. I think he's got the potential to be exactly what we need - but time will tell.

The alternative would have course be to sell the club, get some oil money drenched oligarchs in and splash cash on say a Conte and a completely new starting XI.

I wonder what this new guys shtick is? For Poch it was hungry players who'd run and run for him. What is the ideal Fonseca player?

I wonder what this new guys shtick is? For Poch it was hungry players who'd run and run for him. What is the ideal Fonseca player?
Players who wanna be coached from what I’ve read
He has changed his style several times
He is another who needs players to work hard

Who are those expensive managers you refer to?
Conte? Yep, very expensive and most would agree a complete contradiction for what we said we wanted only 4 weeks ago
Poch? Yep. At a doped club where money is no object and he has sensibly decided not to rock the boat to leave
Who else?
ETH? Maybe we didn’t want him. I mean I like the guy and I even suggested him 6 months ago to more and he was added to a poll on here because of that
Potter? My choice and I’ve said why several times.
Anyone else???
Rogers I guess. Actually he isn’t more expensive he just doesn’t want to leave his set up now and that’s sensible for him. He can be the big fish in a small pond and carry on the hard work

Yep, probably all of those. I completely agree with you - I'm not sure any of them are meaningfully better in terms of increasing our chances of success than Fons. Potter would have been interesting, but he lacks European experience. ETH I don't think anyone could have complained about, I suspect he's probably waiting for a bigger job and felt he could go somewhere with less constraints. Maybe he is the one where we maybe could have pushed a bit and he maybe could have been slightly better than Fons, but I think it's marginal at best.

Yep, probably all of those. I completely agree with you - I'm not sure any of them are meaningfully better in terms of increasing our chances of success than Fons. Potter would have been interesting, but he lacks European experience. ETH I don't think anyone could have complained about, I suspect he's probably waiting for a bigger job and felt he could go somewhere with less constraints. Maybe he is the one where we maybe could have pushed a bit and he maybe could have been slightly better than Fons, but I think it's marginal at best.
It reckon ETH will end up at an Italian side IMO
Conte will take over at United when Ole gets binned

Corporate fans, naming rights and other events.

So that is a huge amount compared to getting more fans to spend their money? They could have sold off the naming rights of the old stadium. The naming rights difference would be a pittance going by your numbers. Could have also just redeveloped a stand and chucked in a load of corporate boxes. To save us in circa 1 billion pounds .... nevermind.

I'd bin Ole right this instant and get Conte in asap if I was United. I reckon a lot of rich clubs are pondering contacting him at the moment.
I agree
But there aren’t many clubs with pockets deep enough
I thought that PSG would go for him TBH
In England United seem obvious
Saudi Sportswashing Machine if they ever get taken over
Spain… take your pick of 2 broke clubs

Hindsight allows you to build a narrative about Poch. There were plenty wanting him moved on when he was sacked.

Plenty that weren't me. My first significant thread on this forum was the welcome thread for Poch, which eventually just became the Poch thread. My most emotional and probably most heartbroken thread on this sub was on the day I found out we'd sacked Poch. Both are in the Classic Threads section somewhere, if you'd like to look for them.

No hindsight here - just scrambling on your end to find some revisionism that isn't there.

You criticise the club for not spending more on a manager, but don’t recognise that a. Poch was a similar appointment (though with less experience) and b. that expensive, won it all managers, don’t always deliver, Mourinho the perfect example.

I thought that spiv of a chairman said we were in a different era now, that pre-stadium was a 20-year build and now we'd target a higher bracket of coach and player. Must have been another craven lie - most of what he says seems to be nowadays - but surprised you'd try this line of approach given it contradicts what your own hero said, mate.

Haters gonna hate - sadly that applies to most of your posts now. Whoever we get will have a decent skill set and experience, and rather than try and find fault with them to add to the levy narrative, why not look for the more subtle positives around their coaching style and what they would bring to the club. All the negativity doesn’t do anyone any good.

There are positives to Fonseca - being mediocre means at least some positives to balance out then negatives. And he's a nice enough bloke, which to me means more than it would to others - I can respect that.

Sadly, the biggest positive for Levy seems to have been 'he's dirt cheap, bargain bin and won't ask for much'. And while it might be positive for ENIC and Joe Lewis, the two things Levy truly cares about - those traits aren't good for the club, the thing *I* care about.

Plenty that weren't me. My first significant thread on this forum was the welcome thread for Poch, which eventually just became the Poch thread. My most emotional and probably most heartbroken thread on this sub was on the day I found out we'd sacked Poch. Both are in the Classic Threads section somewhere, if you'd like to look for them.

No hindsight here - just scrambling on your end to find some revisionism that isn't there.

I thought that spiv of a chairman said we were in a different era now, that pre-stadium was a 20-year build and now we'd target a higher bracket of coach and player. Must have been another craven lie - most of what he says seems to be nowadays - but surprised you'd try this line of approach given it contradicts what your own hero said, mate.

There are positives to Fonseca - being mediocre means at least some positives to balance out then negatives. And he's a nice enough bloke, which to me means more than it would to others - I can respect that.

Sadly, the biggest positive for Levy seems to have been 'he's dirt cheap, bargain bin and won't ask for much'. And while it might be positive for ENIC and Joe Lewis, the two things Levy truly cares about - those traits aren't good for the club, the thing *I* care about.
Why is he mediocre?

Back