• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Probably more likely than Poch returning to Spurs right now. Not sure anyone involved in his return would be sure how to spin it. It would be 'safe' but rather uninspiring/embarrassing. I think most would deal with it quite happily. Effectively he would have been on a sabbatical.

Its so easy - just the Second Coming of Jesus.

jesus-perez.jpg

But Levy isn't desperate.
He could appoint a very good and popular manager in ETH.
He holds all the cards with Kane.
We obviously have signings identified and are negotiating.
Stadium is about to come back online.
What's to be desperate about?
A desperate narrative...I think you'll find.

7th? Behind Leicester and West Ham??
Ok, if that was actually a true reflection, why if you are Poch do you return?
Maybe it's an environment he is comfortable working in?
That's purely a guess, I don't know.
But reports do seem to indicate that he does want to.
There's plenty of big jobs going a begging, and probably more to come, I'd say there's a fair chance he'd get one if he waited. But is that what ge wants.

Poch was giving Skipp a lot of game time and had just promoted Tanganga and Parrott into the first team squad after their impressive pre-seasons in summer 2019. He also seemed a fan of Eyoma.

People have been saying for years that that particular U21 age group that was maturing at that point wasn't very special, and that the better players were in the (then too young) U18/Scarlett group. If the best Poch had to pick from was really Shilow Tracey, Kazaiah Sterling and George Marsh, maybe that's why he wasn't promoting them?

Chris Miller had a perspective that I probably go along with here.

He kept young players in-house to develop them but not actually play them.

In some cases, agents and parents of players literally had to beg the club to let them out on loan in order to get their players exposure. Or they waited for their contracts to expire and then left or forced moves: Milos Veljkovic, Marcus Edwards, Josh Onomah, Keanan Bennetts, Reo Griffiths. This had a big knock-on effect as parents and agents of younger players clock on. In summer 2018 we lost our best U15 (Omari Forson – Man Utd), and best first-year academy prospect (Noni Madueke – He made his full debut at 17 for PSV). Other young players will be choosing clubs other than Spurs to go to; it could take us a decade to change the perception of the club.

Time to being back the diamond formation

Hojberg at the base
Winks and Dier
Dele as the #10.
If he did then it would be Lo Celso and Ndombele ahead of Hojbjerg (which I think are the roles he bought each of those two players for). Seemed to me that he wanted Bruno Fernandes to play at the tip of it.

Last edited:
I loved Poch and didn’t want him to go, but I REALLY hope he doesn’t come back. Never think it’s a good idea to go back in general, and especially not coming off 2+ years of backward momentum at Spurs and then not winning the league with PSG. (Not necessarily blaming him for any of those things, but psychologically it’s not a good backdrop for returning to the club).

I don't think there's as much correlation between the two positions as you'd like to think - I'm "pro Levy" but have always thought it was a mistake to sack Poch. In fact I'd say I've noticed more of the crowd that got on Pochs back also being outspoken wrt to Levy needing to go as well, but that's just me i suppose.

How would you square Levy being such a nightmare to work for should Pochettino return?
I must say that I haven't noticed that....

We were 14th with a bad run that went to middle of previous season, all our top players (and team) were statistically on a decline for 2+ seasons, our manager was snappy with media, showed clear signs of burnout after 5 years in a role, made odd public statements, list goes on.

If you want amuse yourself

- The Pro Poch being fired cloud has data (see above) that suggests it was exactly the right decision at the time
- The appointment of Jose and his failure or success is not relevant to that discussion
- The Pro Poch never being fired club effectively have two arguments
1. He earned more time (something no one gets in football)
2. Somehow he was going to turn it around (despite no precedent in football, typically when managers get beyond a certain stage in bad runs, it never turns around)

So you have one group of people
- Who said we have a problem, we needed to take action, and based on this criteria, we are making this decision
- Another, who thought, lets just let it drift because we hope/dream/imagine it will magically get better ignoring everything re challenges mangers face after a certain amount of time in role, what personal burnout is and the messaging letting poor results have no accountability sends.

Dreamers vs. pragmatists ..
You state it was burn out with no facts to back that up. Pochettino could equally have been snappy with the media due to having enough of not getting the incomings and outgoings that he requested.

The argument about Poch being given time is partly based on him having earned that time (which personally I think he had, we'd be virtually bankrupt now without Poch's 4 solid years of over achievement) but more based on the fact that he was sacked before he got a chance to play his (IMO competely inadequate number of) 3 new signings.

Levy spent £12 million sacking Pochettino having just given him £70 odd million net to spend before seeing Poch's team with those 3 players included..... The chairman then brought in a different manager with a completely different philosophy and then spent another £10m or whatever sacking him after giving him £90 million net or whatever it was to spend. Absolute car crash leadership that is, I'd expect the shareholders to demand the replacement of a CEO in charge of that sort of misdirection of a FTSE 100 company (and Levy's package is higher than most FTSE 100 CEOs by the way).

If Poch comes in, he knows who did sweet F A for him and hopefully will cull them ala Kaboul, Adebayor, Capoue etc ... Enter the Scarlett, Skipp, Devine, Cirkin

I think Alderweireld is probably the one with no way back. Eriksen has obviously already gone. They were the two who seemed to really disappoint him.

The question for me at the root of all this current rumour-stacked situation still remains: why was Jose sacked at that exact time he was, rather than two/three weeks earlier or just after the League cup final?
Because it cost less money and that is more important to the owners of our club than trophies.

Back