• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Flick basically fishing for a bigger contract from German FA. nothing to see here.

Plus, sorry to say but winning a league in Germany with Bayern doesn't tell us much. Scottish league has more variability in league winners in the last 10 years than the German league.

Seems clear to me it'll be Potter. and i'm ok with that.

Let's play a little game...

Arsenal sack Arteta tomorrow. Which manager would you have, even a slight worry, if they brought him in?

Arsenal has bigger problems, I' think they will actually give Arteta another season (or part of at least).

- Arteta is a symptom of bricky thinking
- Ageing front line on big contracts
- Reliance on loan players that won't stay
- Youth players that don't develop, fulfil promise

they genuinely are a worse version of us, with even more expectations because of the Wenger years

How have Brighton got on against the big boys?

Quick thoughts
- Pool, us are the highlights of the season for them
- No real thumpings in there (for a team at the bottom half, not bad)
- General consensus is chance to goal conversion has been their problem (not a good enough front line)

upload_2021-5-17_12-51-51.png

Quick thoughts
- General consensus is chance to goal conversion has been their problem (not a good enough front line)

View attachment 11836

Not a clue if xG is genius or flimflam. Just sharing for discussion.

Brighton have biggest deficit in league on expected goals, meaning they don't finish their dinner in front of goal. the table based on xG, they'd be 10th.

their inability to finish those off, mean they also have the biggest deficit in the league on expected points. If you based the table on xPTS, they'd be 5th.

Also, have the lowest goals conceded in the entire bottom 10 teams.

Like i said, not saying this is gospel or flimflam. Just interested stats on their attacking and defensive play.

upload_2021-5-17_14-53-36.png

I was looking at Brighton's xG stats earlier, whilst the numbers look good in isolation, they are not that much different to Fulham's and Sheffield United's.

I was looking at Brighton's xG stats earlier, whilst the numbers look good in isolation, they are not that much different to Fulham's and Sheffield United's.

Said it another thread, three big things make a difference in any team in the PL

- Top level striker, the only side outside of "big 6" that has a dependable striker is Leicester
- Top level/commanding CB (think Dias, VVD)
- Good Keeper

The rest of team can be a mix.

Rather like ourselves, Brighton’s inability to hold on to leads has cost them a CL spot!

That's the thing about Potter. A worryingly large part of the argument for appointing him is that he leads the league in imaginary goals, which is what xG is.

He doesn' t lead the league anywhere else - in fact, he's at the foot of it, except when it comes to unwanted stats like these.

And is that doing a good enough job? Especially with players that Bobby Martinez would have killed for at Wigan - he was scraping around with the likes of Maynor Figueroa and Hugo Rodallega, and he still surpassed what Potter's done to date.

Neither of them are for us, imo. Potter's next move should be Everton or West Ham - if he proves himself there, we'll know he can do it in the Prem. Right now? Huge question mark.

Doesnt the table above show that they're hugely diffrent?
That's what I thought as well?!?

I am worried though that the likes of Parker and Potter are being mentioned as options to manage Tottenham Hotspur. I think both of those clubs spent quite a lot of money to be finishing 17th and 18th. I think that Sean Dyche is a better manager than both and yet I doubt there are any on here would like to see us bring him in?

That's the thing about Potter. A worryingly large part of the argument for appointing him is that he leads the league in imaginary goals, which is what xG is.

He doesn' t lead the league anywhere else - in fact, he's at the foot of it, except when it comes to unwanted stats like these.

And is that doing a good enough job? Especially with players that Bobby Martinez would have killed for at Wigan - he was scraping around with the likes of Maynor Figueroa and Hugo Rodallega, and he still surpassed what Potter's done to date.

Neither of them are for us, imo. Potter's next move should be Everton or West Ham - if he proves himself there, we'll know he can do it in the Prem. Right now? Huge question mark.

I think i need to have a lay down, i actually agree with you for a change.;)

Last edited:
I think there’s a real positive with Potter in that there aren’t any hammerings. It suggests that the system is good, they are always competitive, and it comes down to individual quality at either end, but the system is really strong.

I’d be more skeptical of managers that have teams that can win big or lose big, because it suggests they will throw caution to the wind to get certain results, not coach well over the long term.

To go from Poch to Potter would be a pretty crazy step down, but given where we are, I think he could be ok.

I’d be more skeptical of managers that have teams that can win big or lose big, because it suggests they will throw caution to the wind to get certain results, not coach well over the long term..

Fair, but that's why no one is suggesting Ralph Hasenhuttl - I think everyone agrees with you on that.

(Although, tbf, it's not inconceivable that Ralf Rangnick becomes our DoF and appoints Hasenhuttl as coach anyway - as I recall, they have a sporting relationship that goes back a ways, and Rangnick seems to prefer being a DoF in general).

I think there’s a real positive with Potter in that there aren’t any hammerings. It suggests that the system is good, they are always competitive, and it comes down to individual quality at either end, but the system is really strong.

I’d be more skeptical of managers that have teams that can win big or lose big, because it suggests they will throw caution to the wind to get certain results, not coach well over the long term.

To go from Poch to Potter would be a pretty crazy step down, but given where we are, I think he could be ok.
Or a step up as he has won more trophies elsewhere before joining us and still has won more than Poch as a manager

Quick thoughts

View attachment 11836
They also keep clean sheets
Their defensively very good whilst creating plenty of chances
We’re not good at the former

Back