• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Ally Gold wrote in his Q and A that the Tottenham board like Potter, but that they're hesistant to appoint a coach that has lead a team that finishes just above relegation - wouldn't look good and such.
This is what I was thinking.... Levy won't want to look stupid and I can imagine the journalists angle here... "Spurs spend a combined £30 million sacking Pochettino and Mourinho to appoint Potter". On the surface of it that looks like very bad planning (probably because it was very bad planning).

I think Levy will want something of a name to deflect some of the stick that he will get otherwise.

Note that I would actually have no issues about us appointing Potter, I think he has done a decent job at Brighton and I think they have they have outperformed us in each of the last 5 or 6 or so games we have played against Brighton.

This is what I was thinking.... Levy won't want to look stupid and I can imagine the journalists angle here... "Spurs spend a combined £30 million sacking Pochettino and Mourinho to appoint Potter". On the surface of it that looks like very bad planning (probably because it was very bad planning).

I think Levy will want something of a name to deflect some of the stick that he will get otherwise.

Note that I would actually have no issues about us appointing Potter, I think he has done a decent job at Brighton and I think they have they have outperformed us in each of the last 5 or 6 or so games we have played against Brighton.

What does that say about the supporters? that the club feels (or is it knows) part of any appointment is appeasing the idiots

Ally Gold wrote in his Q and A that the Tottenham board like Potter, but that they're hesistant to appoint a coach that has lead a team that finishes just above relegation - wouldn't look good and such.

For me if that's true it's one of the worse things to come from the board. Pick a manager based on his vision and philosophy and the club's vision and philosophy, not based on what the Daily Mail would say.

Instead what are going to do, try and poach him in a few years when he's proved himself at a better team? Last time we tried that the target ended up Bayern manager.

When was the last time a top 6 club appointment was from a relegation threatened side?

You have Lampard/Arteta - who had been managing in the Champ/Assistant manager - but there was reasons behind those.

More Rodgers comments:

Rodgers was also asked about the vacancy at managerless Tottenham, who are nine points below the Foxes.

He replied: "It is not something I have thought about.

"My focus is here at Leicester. We have had a great win tonight, we will recover now and get ready for the next game."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-responds-tottenham-job-23988480

Again, not entirely distancing himself from the Spurs job is it?!?!? The 'not thought about' bit is clearly wrong given that last week he was talking about how big a job it is!

Appointing coaches seem a bit bingo-like to me. So many things that have to click into place. I wish we hired a DoF that suits our profile and have him hire a coach. As we've talked about here before, it's a bit odd that the board are hiring a guy, when it seems like they have no clue about football. Seems like they mostly just pick the biggest name they can get.

Is it though? I agree with @Mr Gogolak that money is probably the best indicator of success (anyone would win the PL over a 3 year period with City)

For Spurs specifically, a pattern is emerging -> Jol, Harry, Poch are our most successful attempts

It seems our players really respond best to arm around the shoulder people managers, more than tactics/discipline (Ramos, Jose) , maybe that should be the biggest criteria for next manager?

What does that say about the supporters? that the club feels (or is it knows) part of any appointment is appeasing the idiots
It doesn't say anything at all about the supporters. I said that I think Levy will not want to appoint a relatively unknown manager like Potter due to the stick that he is likely to get from journalists.

When was the last time a top 6 club appointment was from a relegation threatened side?

You have Lampard/Arteta - who had been managing in the Champ/Assistant manager - but there was reasons behind those.

Klopp springs to mind, although there was a recovery before he actually moved.

Where were Swansea when Liverpool poached Rodgers?

The Dutch league finishes before ours. We might even be able to appoint ETH in time for Levy’s end of year apology / message.

More Rodgers comments:

Rodgers was also asked about the vacancy at managerless Tottenham, who are nine points below the Foxes.

He replied: "It is not something I have thought about.

"My focus is here at Leicester. We have had a great win tonight, we will recover now and get ready for the next game."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-responds-tottenham-job-23988480

Again, not entirely distancing himself from the Spurs job is it?!?!? The 'not thought about' bit is clearly wrong given that last week he was talking about how big a job it is!

I'm convinced it's already done.

Swansea were Championship when Potter managed them fyi.

If he's looking for Poch mk II then you'd have to assume Potter would be on the shortlist

Kind of my point about Potter being lower risk than ETH, however ETH is more of a 'name'. I can see ETH being higher up Levy's list given that he'll see that, as a club, we've moved on since we hired Poch and should be able to hire more established managers

Both are inferior to Rodgers IMO though

The only reason we should sell Son (or any player) is if he won't sign a new contract. We cannot let him get into the last 2 years of his deal. Of course he is good enough for us (he is easily in our top 3 players) and I don't blame him if he has itchy feet as he has given us the best portion of his career and we've steadily gone backwards in these past two to three years after those few of years of inadequate investment into the playing squad.

Realistically It is likely to take us a couple of years to become true competitors again (if we can at all?) and at Son's age I don't think he can really wait for that and waste his peak years helping us do so.

Better to get the £60ish million that we could perhaps get for Son and use it to help with the rebuild than to keep him here as his value dwindles and his performances likely do as well (as with Eriksen).

Of course if Son were to sign a new contract then that's great. We've retained a brilliant player.

Can’t disagree with any of that. But you can bet your house everyone will immediately change their tune if Son signs a new contract.

I hate the prick, but I'll give whoever gets the job my support*, it'll take at least 2 years to turn this squad around.

*within reason, if it's Gerrard I'll be tapping up GB to find out which Sheffield United forums are most welcoming

Sorry, i'm sure you've said before but why do you hate him (Rodgers) again?

Back