• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Thanks. If you were given a straight choice between ETH and Rodgers who'd you prefer (and why)?
Rogers
More proven
so more sensible

Personally I’d go for potter because I think any manager who can change a teams functional style and started as quickly as he did at Brighton and develop that team to play as flexibly as they do can only be a great coach. They also go for the bigger sides and aren’t scared to play football

but I’ll be honest and say that either of these three would be a good option

"I met him last summer and was nice to me (very short man)"

Are short people normally nasty to you?;)
I’m 5,9 so not tall
Was just stunned at his short he was as you didn’t notice it as much on Tv
His daughter was playing with mine as she was almost as tall as him

Will kill the game as quick as ESL

the game died when the FA/UEFA decided Chelsea/City/PSG were "ok" ..
the game died when Barca/Real on top of their government help negotiated "their share" of tv rights money
the game died when officials can make decisions that statistically are favoring certain sides even with VAR

Dead long before/after the morality signalling of ESL protest

To @glorygloryeze question

- Rodgers is the most likely to succeed, less unknown, less risk

the game died when the FA/UEFA decided Chelsea/City/PSG were "ok" ..
the game died when Barca/Real on top of their government help negotiated "their share" of tv rights money
the game died when officials can make decisions that statistically are favoring certain sides even with VAR

Dead long before/after the morality signalling of ESL protest

To @glorygloryeze question

- Rodgers is the most likely to succeed, less unknown, less risk

nah, it died when it went professional, financial interest trumps everything else

Got to love the spin you lot are putting on it. Yeah of course Nagelsmann wasn’t a good fit for us, the alternatives are so much better:D....

Yip. It'll be "I was never convicnced by Rodgers. He's only won stuff in the Scottish league" next. :D

I still can't see Potter (perhaps he's wearing his invisibility cloak?). For me, it would be Levy saying goodbye to Kane and Son - or at least to a Kane and Son who are happy and feel we are moving forward.

5'7" apparently. Magnificent specimen of a man! (if you're fighting undernourished peasants in the 15th Century. 2021? Not so much. I speak from experience).

I’m 5,9 so not tall
Was just stunned at his short he was as you didn’t notice it as much on Tv
His daughter was playing with mine as she was almost as tall as him

You are all taller than me and I include your daughter. ;):cool:
Is there a height restriction for the new guy?:cool::D

I'm joshing with you.

Potter though looks quite tall. Brighton looked poor last time out mind:confused:

You are all taller than me and I include your daughter. ;):cool:
Is there a height restriction for the new guy?:cool::D

I'm joshing with you.

Potter though looks quite tall. Brighton looked poor last time out mind:confused:
Brighton were poor vs Sheffield
Their record vs the lesser sides isn’t good
I’d say it’s to do with the more defensive nature of those sides vs Brighton and we know Brighton are wasteful

5.7? Wow must be hard for a man of that stature to command the respect of his players so that might say something for his abilities...

:p

No manager is keeping Kane or son happy on reputation

Indeed, if they are still here next season it will be what happens day to day what will convince them to stick around long term or not

Same thing is happening over in the Son thread. Yeah let’s sell him, he’s not world class, doesn’t show up when it matters. Nothing to do with the fact that he hasn’t signed a new contract. Same thing also happened when Toby was benched over his contract dispute and Sanchez overnight became much better than him. Or when we sold Walker and it didn’t matter because we had Trippier :D
The only reason we should sell Son (or any player) is if he won't sign a new contract. We cannot let him get into the last 2 years of his deal. Of course he is good enough for us (he is easily in our top 3 players) and I don't blame him if he has itchy feet as he has given us the best portion of his career and we've steadily gone backwards in these past two to three years after those few of years of inadequate investment into the playing squad.

Realistically It is likely to take us a couple of years to become true competitors again (if we can at all?) and at Son's age I don't think he can really wait for that and waste his peak years helping us do so.

Better to get the £60ish million that we could perhaps get for Son and use it to help with the rebuild than to keep him here as his value dwindles and his performances likely do as well (as with Eriksen).

Of course if Son were to sign a new contract then that's great. We've retained a brilliant player.

One thing that is starting to become apparent to me is that the options suggested to carry out this rebuild are all starting to sound a lot worse an option than Pochettino was.....

Rangnick is probably the only exception to that so far. Rangnick doesn't just work for any old club though (he has turned down two German teams recently).

I was thinking about Potter vs Ten Hag. I wonder whether Levy would go for Potter given that he's arguably lower risk given he's performed in the PL for two different teams. I could see people arguing that ETH might potentially achieve more and quicker, and has the Bayern and Ajax brands on his CV, but there's probably a higher risk that he falls flat on his face given he doesnt know the league, which might be the key thing which Levy is concerned about avoiding...

I was thinking about Potter vs Ten Hag. I wonder whether Levy would go for Potter given that he's arguably lower risk given he's performed in the PL for two different teams. I could see people arguing that ETH might potentially achieve more and quicker, and has the Bayern and Ajax brands on his CV, but there's probably a higher risk that he falls flat on his face given he doesnt know the league, which might be the key thing which Levy is concerned about avoiding...

Swansea were Championship when Potter managed them fyi.

If he's looking for Poch mk II then you'd have to assume Potter would be on the shortlist

Ally Gold wrote in his Q and A that the Tottenham board like Potter, but that they're hesistant to appoint a coach that has lead a team that finishes just above relegation - wouldn't look good and such.

Hilarious that people think there are slim pickings .. non-figuratively hundreds of managers out there, personal lack of knowledge is not reflection of options

Actually, I understand where they're coming from. Money has tipped the balance so much, that a manager with zero experience like Zidane has been able to win the CL less than a year after making his debut on Real's bench. City have so much money that they would still be in with a chance of winning the league, even with Parker or Mourinho at the helm.

To make a long story short, I'd rather have an average manager with City's money than a great manager with zero investment in the squad.

As a result, all managers look meh/ordinary, since the spending power of their club is the key to earning success. There's been very little (successful) tactical innovation over the past decade. I'd go so far as saying that man-management skills is the most important part of a manager's job. The days of great managers are behind us: we won't see a new Lobanovsky or Cruyff in a long time. Klopp and Guardiola are considered the best of this era. I think Deschamps, Ranieri and Zidane have been voted FIFA Manager of the Year - hardly football luminaries...

As a result, 90% of managers hang in the 'Ok' zone and, more importantly, you can't even tell whether they'd be able to replicate their success elsewhere. Before his Chelsea spell, Sarri was quite highly rated. If we went for Gasperini, who's to say we'd get the same level of success as Atalanta?

Ally Gold wrote in his Q and A that the Tottenham board like Potter, but that they're hesistant to appoint a coach that has lead a team that finishes just above relegation - wouldn't look good and such.
That’s the kicker
Worryingly though in other leagues that’s seen as an achievement for some coaches and they get the step up
Then they become better and bigger names

Appointing coaches seem a bit bingo-like to me. So many things that have to click into place. I wish we hired a DoF that suits our profile and have him hire a coach. As we've talked about here before, it's a bit odd that the board are hiring a guy, when it seems like they have no clue about football. Seems like they mostly just pick the biggest name they can get.

Back