• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New xbox

You can use pre-owned or borrowed games on the Xbox One, a small fee will apply though.... More details to be released soon.

Edit: But it will make buying pre-owned games, borrowing games off mates a pain in the arse if you have to pay so yes, I agree.

Hardly, it's more the other way round with X-Box looking a bit dead in the water at the moment when compared to PS4.

Both will do fine, they're running near identical hardware (custom 8 core amd jaguar soc's with 8gb ram) with blu ray and online stores, and both have huge a following.

where they're both similar internally, games should be largely identical on both for the first generation, depending on os overheads (and Microsoft may gain the edge over time with azure integration).

The main difference is the added value - whether it's Microsoft leveraging windows 8 apps for multi tasking, kinnect and tv pass through, or Sony's push for social integration, vita compatibility or its in media divisions, which is why that's what they both pushed in the reveals.

Personally I like the sound of the Xbox but the ps4 will appeal to plenty of people.

So what's the verdict in terms of what looks like the best option? Not really impressed by the design of the new Xbox, but some of the features look cool.

Looks like the old Xbox charging brick... With the amount of power in it though I imagine it was a functional choice to allow them as much cooling as possible without too much noise.

Probably the same reason Sony didn't have the final hardware available to show - the balance between cooling and style must be tough.

I think it looks OK, just another separate like an AVR.

So long as it doesn't sound like the hoover like the 360 it can look however they like tbh.

You can use pre-owned or borrowed games on the Xbox One, a small fee will apply though.... More details to be released soon.
Edit: But it will make buying pre-owned games, borrowing games off mates a pain in the arse if you have to pay so yes, I agree.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.
"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."
"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.
"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

It rather sounds to me that they have the retailers onside to ensure some system of resell, that essentially means the days of giving (and even lending) a game to your friend/family etc when you're done with it is over. Going to take a lot of convincing for me on this one I think.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.
"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."
"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

It rather sounds to me that they have the retailers onside to ensure some system of resell, that essentially means the days of giving (and even lending) a game to your friend/family etc when you're done with it is over. Going to take a lot of convincing for me on this one I think.

Now I've seen those quotes, me too.

That use case is assuming you wanted to carry on playing the game too though, hence needing two copies.

It's linked to your live account so as long as you sign in you can play it anywhere - take the disc round someone else's and you can play there, it'll even take your saves over the cloud automatically so you can just carry on as if you're at home.

Before you sell or give the game away just unlink it from your account and someone else can use it without needing to rebuy - It's a fair sounding solution imo, based on the wired interview. They wanted you to be able to play without the disc so they needed some sort of security really otherwise each disc would be resold as soon as it was installed.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk 2

Just watched the unveil video and unlike the ps4 one I was really impressed. The tv integration looked really good - plug my TiVo in and never have to worry about changing channel or using the remote? Really hope it's works as well as they claim, both in terms of integration and kinnect control. They basically just offered what analysts have been crying out for from an apple tv.

The problem with these unveils is if they concentrate too much on game footage people just think 'well the graphics are good but they would be' and if they harp on too much about other stuff gamers complain they're not going to be serious enough about their core market.

I reckon they struck a good balance; true multi tasking, split screen and low level cloud integration sounds fantastic to me, and while I'm sure there will be social integration beyond Skype it seems like they learnt from Sony not to concentrate on that.

Looks like a brick mind.

The TV stuff will only work in the US (in certain regions) until they make deals with cable companies around the world.
Even then you'll need to buy another box to go between your cable box and your xbox.
And using the xbox you wont be able to use some features of your cable box.
No pause, no record and none of the on-demand stuff your cable company offers.

You can log in on another xbox with your account and your games will be waiting for you because they're saved in the cloud.

The TV stuff will only work in the US (in certain regions) until they make deals with cable companies around the world.
Even then you'll need to buy another box to go between your cable box and your xbox.
And using the xbox you wont be able to use some features of your cable box.
No pause, no record and none of the on-demand stuff your cable company offers.

Sky integration is a given, seeing as they already have a partnership, and as TiVo power most of the us cable companies set top boxes already I'd be surprised if virgin TiVo couldn't work out a deal too - the UK is a huge market for them and they're obviously going all out with this integration.

Why do you think the other features won't work either? It's just a windowed HDMI input and an app to control the set top box? I can already play my virgin TiVo through my media system, using my phone to control all the functionality (including the dvr and on demand) so I don't think its going to be particularly taxing to implement.

i'm still not sure i'm following this correctly.

you buy the game, and link it to your account. you can take it to a friends house, sign in on their machine, and play it without issue. fine.
if you take it to your friends house, and want to play it on *their* account, you can either a) unlink it from your machine, and they can install it (free), or b) install it from your disc, but pay for a second copy that's then tied to the friends account. presumably with situation a, when they are done with it, they can then uninstall and give it back to you to reinstall it, all of which is without charge?

i'm guessing that installing it on a new machine automatically uninstalls it from wherever it was originally, otherwise you'd never know if a pre-owned game had been unlinked before you bought it? otherwise i don't get the whole thing about buying a game pre-owned, but then having to pay for it again to get it running (which presumably is incorrect/wrongly interpreted?)

then rental games. presumably, if you can still rent a game, it's tied to your account whilst you rent it. so once it gets returned to the rental company, they would have to reinstall it to stop you using it without needing the disc?

does that sum it up correctly...?

i'm still not sure i'm following this correctly.

you buy the game, and link it to your account. you can take it to a friends house, sign in on their machine, and play it without issue. fine.
if you take it to your friends house, and want to play it on *their* account, you can either a) unlink it from your machine, and they can install it (free), or b) install it from your disc, but pay for a second copy that's then tied to the friends account. presumably with situation a, when they are done with it, they can then uninstall and give it back to you to reinstall it, all of which is without charge?

i'm guessing that installing it on a new machine automatically uninstalls it from wherever it was originally, otherwise you'd never know if a pre-owned game had been unlinked before you bought it? otherwise i don't get the whole thing about buying a game pre-owned, but then having to pay for it again to get it running (which presumably is incorrect/wrongly interpreted?)

then rental games. presumably, if you can still rent a game, it's tied to your account whilst you rent it. so once it gets returned to the rental company, they would have to reinstall it to stop you using it without needing the disc?

does that sum it up correctly...?

From my understanding that's pretty much spot on, though they've not gone into anymore details of how exactly it will will work- if there are any other restrictions or time restraints for example, and whether the new install will automatically uninstall the old game for pre owned games or if there's another solution for that. Also they alluded to the fact that you wouldnt need the actual disc if you went to someone else's to play-just sign into your account and you can download and play any game you own on your profile from the cloud instead.

I imagine they've managed to embed some kind of CD key into each blu ray, and each key can only be used on one account at a time but the actual data on the discs isnt of any consequence-you can just download it instead.

I'll certainly not be getting either console at launch but after waiting for the hardware issues to become apparent (and to see what the steam box has to offer) I may be tempted to get one,a turnaround on this time last year when I was convinced I wouldn't bother with another console.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fapatalk 2

Back