• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Let's face it, we asked Slot to make it clear he wanted to go so as 'the fee' would be knocked down. I could speculate further but not here. I think we are being caught out by the fact that smart young managers know flimflam when they scent it.
You have no idea what went on, it's pure guess work

You have no idea what went on, it's pure guess work

:D

Thank you for that. In my defence, the first line I wrote in that post was this:

"I will offer my take on what happened (n.b. I know as much -or little- as anyone here, thus salt cellar might be needed)..."

You can't accuse me of trying to claim I have a firm idea now can you!
Again, I DID say it was MY take. I'm clear when I'm not speculating ;-)

I will offer my take on what happened (n.b. I know as much -or little- as anyone here, thus salt cellar might be needed)...

We sniffed the Slot out via agent/intermediataries & co
We liked what we smelled
We made it clear that we would be interested
We did some reconnaissance on how much Feyenoord would want and received a ballpark figure
We further made it clear that in order for an official approach to happen, we needed Slot to say he wanted 'a new challenge' or some such brick in order to 'bring down any compensation'
Slot received this information and would not do it/started to realize a little more who he was dealing with
Slot secures his own immediate future as anything other than an extension leaves him vulnerable
Our 'PR team' goes into overdrive to rewrite narrative, including the whole 'feel that Slot used them in negotiations' flimflam...

I also have to wonder if we only offered him a two-year contract?

Wouldn’t surprise me tbh.

Also Slot knows no one is paying £17m for him this summer so he is better off re-aligning himself with his current club, improving his terms and setting himself up for a departure in 2024.

But what we do know is at the end of the season many managers leave their posts and more will be available. The likes of Galtier and Spaletti for starters are likely, there will be plenty of options....

So, you’re saying that 60 days after we sacked our manager, and a 150 days since it became clear that he wouldn’t be here after May, there’s still no actual long term plan?

Excellent.

Any manager out of work in the summer would be interested.

And there’s a good chance that anyone who is half decent won’t be out of work in the summer.

It's abit naive to think they don't speak to the managers or at least their representatives beforehand.
To the manager definitely not. To his reps, maybe. But it's nowhere near the level of detail that you would think. It's just a feeling out.

What are the remaining options then?

Potter
Gallardo
Lopetegui
Emery
Mason

Hardly!

Potter - heavily rumoured to be joining Nice
Gallardo - zero chance. Levy wont appoint somoene who has never managed in Europe, and why would he join our brickshow? He'll wait for a better job rather than a club which churns through managers
Lopetegui - still in a job
Emery - wouldnt leave Villa for us surely
Mason - if we end up with Ryan, we're screwed

Need to add Rodgers and Ange P not because I think they're right, but heavily linked. Someone earlier mentioned Spaletti if he leaves Napoli

You think the majority of supporters will be happy with Gallardo? You show his photo around the stadium and you'll get more responses of "Who?" than anything else.
It would be the same as with Slot. If you had told them about him a month ago they would be "Who?' The moment we came close and everyone started reading up on him people were getting excited. Would be the same with Gallardo.

Back