• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New DoF Poll (The Less Grease More Ethos Edition)

Who do you want for our next DoF

• Michael Edwards

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Paul Mitchell

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Ralf Ragnick

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Rui Pedro Braz (Benfica)

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Luís Campos (PSG)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Giovanni Sartori (Bologna)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Ramon Planes (ex-Barca)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
But if that structure includes said expertise then its covered.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Well, yes, I suppose. But in which case, whoever that person is who makes the ultimate decision on which players we sign is a critical appointment. If that person isn't the DoF but someone underneath him then fine. But its a role which would make decision over tens of £ millions of signings so as important as the DoF

Well, yes, I suppose. But in which case, whoever that person is who makes the ultimate decision on which players we sign is a critical appointment. If that person isn't the DoF but someone underneath him then fine. But its a role which would make decision over tens of £ millions of signings so as important as the DoF
I would say that person coordinates the decision making and then acts on the clubs behalf TBH. I doubt any DOF in world football takes sole decision making responsibility, most clubs act post conference on such decisions

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Hmmm this comment from the above article makes me sceptical. We already have Levy and Munn to 'run things'.

In terms of having complimentary skills in the hierarchy, I'd have thought having a DoF with more football knowledge / experience would be far better.

Can just imagine if he comes and our signings don't hit the ground running then you'll get a barrage of criticism from all quarters saying that we have too many administrators and non-footballing people making decisions

Whoever is making the ultimate decision on the scouting side (ie. including the DoF), with whatever input from the manager, about signings needs to have more of a football background dont they?
A career as a professional football isn't a pre-requisite for being successful in a non-playing role, Mourinho did alright. Most managers weren't top-quality players.
I'd rather have a DoF that worked his way up from scouting than an ex-player just been given a job because he must have football knowledge even though the average footballer is as thick as brick.

Did Michael Edwards have a professional football career?

He is always held highly at that role, and I'm not sure he had much of a playing career

A quick look on Transfermarkt shows him starting as an analyst back in 2007, working up through scouting, technical director and sporting director positions. So he does have a football background, but just not as a player. Is having been a player especially important?
Probably better that he hasn't been. Once football gets past the silly belief that having played matters, managers who were footballers will become the rare exception.

This is a bit random, but I think we should appoint Vertonghen as deputy DoF.

Let him learn the roll and succeed to it in future, like the Edu/van der Sar/Overmars model
You can't just appoint a former player to the role and expect them to learn it and excel. They have to have some existing aptitude and the qualities that fit well with the role. This is an area that we as fans really have no basis to make a judgement on. Does Vertoghen even want to be a DoF? He is a good schmoozer? A good negotiator? Does he have an extensive list of contacts around the world? Is he a good communicator?

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

after years of foreign guys doing the role I'd love to see a british DoF brought in - for no reason other than they will be schooled in what makes a successful player in the English game. At various points during the tenure of each European DoF we've watched a slight, skilful youngster move from the continent or even South America, and then flop, usually when we all wanted him to succeed, and go back to Spain/Italy/Etc to lick his wounds and become a quality player. Whether we like it or not there's still a physicality to our game which means that more fail than succeed if they are not 6ft or more.

So yeah - Monchi.
The best players in the Premier League are foreign. The best coaches in the Premier League are foreign. Methinks it doesn't actually matter where the person is from just their quality and suitability to a role.

You can't just appoint a former player to the role and expect them to learn it and excel. They have to have some existing aptitude and the qualities that fit well with the role. This is an area that we as fans really have no basis to make a judgement on. Does Vertoghen even want to be a DoF? He is a good schmoozer? A good negotiator? Does he have an extensive list of contacts around the world? Is he a good communicator?

Serious body language fears.

If we are playing a game of "which former player that I liked would I want to be DOF" it'd definitely be disco Benny. Or Sandro. Actually maybe both, and for it to be made in to a sitcom.

I wish we got Edgar Davids back, he is assistent at netherlands.. he could do some work at the Club, maybe not a dof

Sounds like if we get the right one in we get JN
Don’t fudge this up Levy

I’m slightly concerned that Liverpool are also looking for a DoF I believe. Klopp is also German so they could be looking at similar options to us.

They also have a history of taking our staff such as Inglethorpe.

Just something to be aware of I guess.

I wish we got Edgar Davids back, he is assistent at netherlands.. he could do some work at the Club, maybe not a dof

Do you not remember when Edgar Davids was coaching Barnet! He was an absolute disaster lol

You should google some of the stories, He used to refuse to travel to far away games because he didn't want to stay in hotels, used to watch training from his Bentley in the car park on cold days! Etc.

Back