• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New DoF Poll (The Less Grease More Ethos Edition)

Who do you want for our next DoF

• Michael Edwards

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Paul Mitchell

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Ralf Ragnick

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Rui Pedro Braz (Benfica)

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Luís Campos (PSG)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Giovanni Sartori (Bologna)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Ramon Planes (ex-Barca)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Doesnt stay in one place long. Roughly:

- 8 years at Hoffenheim then
- 2 years at Leipzig
- 2 years at Hamburg
- 2 years at Vitesse Arnhem
- last couple years at the group which owns genoa and a few others

The information on him gives grounds for optimism, but I'm partly in for the nominative determinism angle and the happy memory it'll give me of Martin Jol saying our name in interviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...orting-director-johannes-spors-chelsea-brexit

At 38, he is the youngest sporting director in the Eredivisie and the only one without a professional playing background. Vitesse hired him on that precise basis. “They wanted someone who had worked themselves up to this position,” he says.

This year came Spors’s first key decision; to find a head coach. His fellow German Thomas Letsch – also formerly of the Red Bull network – was hired; by early December, Vitesse sat second in the table and now they are behind third-placed Feyenoord on goal difference.

“I made it clear, I am standing for a certain playing style,” says Spors. “It is intense. If you compare to the Premier League, more the Klopp direction than the Guardiola direction.”

Spors was a student in Heidelberg when asked to produce video analysis for Hoffenheim. As the club grew under Ralf Rangnick – from Germany’s third tier to the Bundesliga – so, too, did Spors’s involvement. He spent five years as head of first-team match analysis before leading the scouting department. That role, he insists, shouldn’t be as difficult as many portray.

“Most important is that the club has a clear strategy,” Spors says. “You have to make clear the way the club wants to play and the definition of the position needed. The scout can only deliver quality when this is clear by profiling. Very often that clear profile or the analytical work is the problem.”

Yes please.

Doesnt stay in one place long. Roughly:

- 8 years at Hoffenheim then
- 2 years at Leipzig
- 2 years at Hamburg
- 2 years at Vitesse Arnhem
- last couple years at the group which owns genoa and a few others

Nature of the job I would imagine, also must be hard to work at a middle of the road club where your work is recycled every 2/3 years when talents sold.

just been reading up on the bloke and seems a decent fella

the only one without a professional playing background

Hmmm this comment from the above article makes me sceptical. We already have Levy and Munn to 'run things'.

In terms of having complimentary skills in the hierarchy, I'd have thought having a DoF with more football knowledge / experience would be far better.

Can just imagine if he comes and our signings don't hit the ground running then you'll get a barrage of criticism from all quarters saying that we have too many administrators and non-footballing people making decisions

Whoever is making the ultimate decision on the scouting side (ie. including the DoF), with whatever input from the manager, about signings needs to have more of a football background dont they?

Nature of the job I would imagine, also must be hard to work at a middle of the road club where your work is recycled every 2/3 years when talents sold.

just been reading up on the bloke and seems a decent fella
Yep
It’s a good thing on the way up

Hmmm this comment from the above article makes me sceptical. We already have Levy and Munn to 'run things'.

In terms of having complimentary skills in the hierarchy, I'd have thought having a DoF with more football knowledge / experience would be far better.

Can just imagine if he comes and our signings don't hit the ground running then you'll get a barrage of criticism from all quarters saying that we have too many administrators and non-footballing people making decisions

Whoever is making the ultimate decision on the scouting side (ie. including the DoF), with whatever input from the manager, about signings needs to have more of a football background dont they?

A quick look on Transfermarkt shows him starting as an analyst back in 2007, working up through scouting, technical director and sporting director positions. So he does have a football background, but just not as a player. Is having been a player especially important?

Transfers are just HR. We need an HR expert, not an ex-footballer

SOrry but that's ridiculous. Selecting which of the say 5 CBs on our 'possible' list is not just HR. Its a football decision
You would hope with the introduction of a revised structure, including the input of those with football knowledge, that would be covered.

Our issue currently is lack of cohesive structure IMO, if we manage to join those dots whilst appointing the correct manager who reflects and comments that structure we will have achieved something.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

A quick look on Transfermarkt shows him starting as an analyst back in 2007, working up through scouting, technical director and sporting director positions. So he does have a football background, but just not as a player. Is having been a player especially important?

Fair challenge. You could be right. Being a former pro is obviously the most natural way to having the experience to decide which of the scouted players we should sign but perhaps he has it through that route. The new DoF has a big job ahead of them - just hope we can get it sorted asap

You would hope with the introduction of a revised structure, including the input of those with football knowledge, that would be covered.

Our issue currently is lack of cohesive structure IMO, if we manage to join those dots whilst appointing the correct manager who reflects and comments that structure we will have achieved something.

Well, I'm not sure it would be covered. Someone has to sit at the top of the scouting structure to make the ultimate decision on who we sign and who we pass on. In my view, and I think in most clubs, that's the DoF after whatever consultation with the manager

Well, I'm not sure it would be covered. Someone has to sit at the top of the scouting structure to make the ultimate decision on who we sign and who we pass on. In my view, and I think in most clubs, that's the DoF after whatever consultation with the manager
But if that structure includes said expertise then its covered.

There are plenty of successful DOFs put there without playing history and vice versa...

Back