• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New DoF?

Re: Baldini as new DoF?

I like to think that maybe AVB has known about THIS possible appointment and has said he is some one he could work with.

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Any way i like the idea.

'Head of recruitment'. 'Continental structure'. 'Super-scout'. 'Sporting Director'. It's all the same, just that DoF seems a mistrusted phrase.

I'm impressed by anyone who can discover and recruit players like Higuain, whether they are from Reggello or Reading.

It was a pretty monumental move, to go from perenial mid-table to consistent top 5. No one can deny the step change that started in summer 2004 with the appointment of Arnesen.

All of those are not the same. All those with the same title are not the same.

Main difference comes down to who answers to who and who can get someone fired. Massive difference between a DoF who appoints and fires managers and a DoF who doesn't have that responsibility. The very powerful Directors of Football seen in some clubs around the continent have very different roles compared to someone who is head of recruitment or a super scout for some of the English teams.

I agree that we stepped it up following the Arnesen appointment.

I like to think that maybe AVB has known about THIS possible appointment and has said he is some one he could work with.

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Any way i like the idea.

Doesn't seem like wishful thinking, to me it seems like the most likely scenario assuming:

1. Levy isn't a complete idiot.

2. Levy wants what is best for the club.

The concept of a DoF works under one strict condition. That he reports to the manager and not the other way around. Otherwise, you get ridiculous situations where the DoF signs players that the manager doesn't rate, or they don't fit into the system he wants to play, or they are signed instead of another type of player that the manager prioritizes. We all remember Santini asking for Jan Koller and getting Michael Carrick, and Jol asking for Martin Petrov and getting Darren Bent.

Comolli was brick at working out what was actually required in the team at the time (experience vs youth, first team vs backup etc). But one thing he was very very good at which we have missed, was his closing ability. I'm sure lots of football clubs around Europe knew who Modric, Berbatov and Bale were, but Comolli was the one who actually convinced them to join Tottenham. That's a crucial part of the recruitment process and if we can get someone in who can offer something similar that is working on behalf of the manager and not against him, then I'm all for it.

IIRC it is exactly what raised us up from c.10th-12th place finishes (1994-2004), to c.4th-5th place finishes (since 2004).

You really love to distort/ignore facts don't you?

Pleat was pretty much DoF from the moment he arrived in the late 90's. And he "officially" became DoF in 2001, but Graham admitted he was internally long before that.

Secondly under Redknapp there was NO DoF so don't even try to pass those league finishes off as being down to a DoF because it's blatantly not true.

Pleat was pretty much DoF from the moment he arrived in the late 90's. And he "officially" became DoF in 2001, but Graham admitted he was internally long before that.

Secondly under Redknapp there was NO DoF so don't even try to pass those league finishes off as being down to a DoF because it's blatantly not true.

So funny and so true!

Pleat was never a proper DoF.

He was a football manager who didn't understand how the role of DoF should work.

Harry didn't work with a DoF. True. But the bulk of his players were bought at a time when Spurs had a DoF.

But this is a silly argument anyway. It's based upon an article which is short on facts and quotes. Getting hot under the collar about what the protagonists might or might not think about it is therefore an exercise in futility. We don't even know if there's a shred of truth in it.

All that we can say for sure is that there is no good reason why a DoF system couldn't work just as well at Spurs as it does at so many clubs on the continent.

It was always inevitable Levy would want to return to a DoF-type structure, if you ask me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a significant part of the motivation for getting rid of Redknapp. Levy's a corporate animal through and through, and their first instinct is always to have some middle-man in place whose function it is to take the rap for them when things go tits up.

Doesn't Technical Tim perform the DOF role pretty much anyway? It's a bit more involved than just transfers.

Doesn't Technical Tim perform the DOF role pretty much anyway? It's a bit more involved than just transfers.

Thought his new role was being in charge of loans (i.e. sourcing them, then watching our players whilst they are out)? Nothing especially senior.

The concept of a DoF works under one strict condition. That he reports to the manager and not the other way around. Otherwise, you get ridiculous situations where the DoF signs players that the manager doesn't rate, or they don't fit into the system he wants to play, or they are signed instead of another type of player that the manager prioritizes. We all remember Santini asking for Jan Koller and getting Michael Carrick, and Jol asking for Martin Petrov and getting Darren Bent.

Comolli was brick at working out what was actually required in the team at the time (experience vs youth, first team vs backup etc). But one thing he was very very good at which we have missed, was his closing ability. I'm sure lots of football clubs around Europe knew who Modric, Berbatov and Bale were, but Comolli was the one who actually convinced them to join Tottenham. That's a crucial part of the recruitment process and if we can get someone in who can offer something similar that is working on behalf of the manager and not against him, then I'm all for it.

good post and the underlined highlighted part is very true

Usual GG knee jerking, good to see brick doesn't change

- Hacked together article with no statement confirming DoF

The club is getting larger, bigger global profile and commitments, new training facilities with greater emphasis on our youth system, consistent multi-competition participation and huge stadium and local area project. Add to that team to continue building/adding to for AVB's setup/system.

The job is too much for Levy (who is our DoF btw) and AVB to manage effectively. I expect a number of Cx Level type appointments to drive certain priorities, none of those mean AVB reports to that person.

BTW I do love how every time this topic comes up, people completely ignore the fact that the DoF system is used in the majority of non British clubs (and no, your not that special, get over it).

Usual GG knee jerking, good to see brick doesn't change

- Hacked together article with no statement confirming DoF

The club is getting larger, bigger global profile and commitments, new training facilities with greater emphasis on our youth system, consistent multi-competition participation and huge stadium and local area project. Add to that team to continue building/adding to for AVB's setup/system.

The job is too much for Levy (who is our DoF btw) and AVB to manage effectively. I expect a number of Cx Level type appointments to drive certain priorities, none of those mean AVB reports to that person.

BTW I do love how every time this topic comes up, people completely ignore the fact that the DoF system is used in the majority of non British clubs (and no, your not that special, get over it).

Very well said.

Back