• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New DoF?

Of the clubs mentioned previously who adopt this set up in England - do you think any of their supporters have as much debate/arguments over it as we do?

Swansea and Southampton both implemented this whilst in the lower leagues, right? And both those clubs and WBA are significantly smaller than us. With the danger of sounding arrogant and condescending I think we have been in situations with more to lose than those clubs have been when this has been implemented and discussed.

I think this has been discussed quite a bit by Liverpool fans, and I imagine if Manu wanted to implement this system after Ferguson the debate would have been long lasting.

I know very little about Baldini, but that gurning old idiot Capello was a poor appointment for England, so I hope Baldini is nothing like Capello.

Does anyone know, is he progressive, brilliant, what we need?!

I know very little about Baldini, but that gurning old idiot Capello was a poor appointment for England, so I hope Baldini is nothing like Capello.

and what was Baldini doing for Capello, not like you'd need a technical director for that post do you? national squad typically chooses itself -with the help of the media!

Seems like good news to me. The right technical director could help us a lot I think.

Baldini must be among those with the best reputation we could realistically go for, although he hasn't had the best of times at Roma it seems.

Not sure if Baldini was director but wasn't it last summer they signed the Marquinhos that is widely tipped to be joining Barca this summer? They also signed Italian international and regular at the Euros Balzaretti who was one of the best full-backs in the league for Palermo, even if he hasn't been spectacular.

Well he is a big fan of AVB so one can assume he is progressive.A lot of the work he did for the NT was personel management (physios,doctors,scouting etc) basically making the head coaches life easier. He should have a lot of italian/spanish contacts, that could help land an unknown player or two.

Re: Technical Director to come in...possibly Franco Baldini?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. It causes a LOT of in club fighting in Holland. But football clubs are so much bigger than they used to be and there is so much commercial pressure on the coach and agents involved that the old fashioned Manager style can't really work anymore. But it's really a case of what functions do you devolve within the club. Like all jobs in any organization it comes down to getting the right person in. If you have a great coach but a bad Technical Director it won't work. If you get a great Technical Director but a bad coach it won't work. It does add another layer of complexity for hiring and it increases the chance of not being able to find all the necessary right people, but when it does work it works well.

We have gotten it backwards here though. It should be the Technical Director that chooses the Coach, not the other way around. This is where Spurs have gone wrong with it in the past.

Errr...Frank Arnesen identified Martin Jol as his man while Santini was still in the job! And he found the way to get Levy to shove him. Strangely, the cries of indignation obviously didn't make it to Holland!...no, your friend Mr Levy has tried this all before only for Abramovich to steal his man...

p.s. those cries of indignation? Well you didn't hear them because there weren't any! Nobody cared about that shoddy exit because Santini wasn't a media friendly man...

Graham Hunter's suggested we're looking at Monchi from Sevilla! Not sure how likely this is since the whole iffy Ramos thing, but it's widely rumored that Monchi is leaving this summer. I think he'd be quite a shrewd appointment, and a good fit - he revolutionized Sevilla's academy and reportedly created a scouting network that reached over 700 scouts worldwide by 2008, with a particular focus on the young and cheap from Latin America. Sevilla have signed plenty of Brazilians and that certainly seems to be a liking of AVB too.

Then again, he did sign Zokora from us for 8m :lol:

Our old friend Frank Arnesen has been sacked from Hamburg SV today

If he did not have the history with Spurs as he has, then he would be an obvious candidate for the job

I saw on the newswire that Baldini is to discuss his future with the Roma president today. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Graham Hunter's suggested we're looking at Monchi from Sevilla! Not sure how likely this is since the whole iffy Ramos thing, but it's widely rumored that Monchi is leaving this summer. I think he'd be quite a shrewd appointment, and a good fit - he revolutionized Sevilla's academy and reportedly created a scouting network that reached over 700 scouts worldwide by 2008, with a particular focus on the young and cheap from Latin America. Sevilla have signed plenty of Brazilians and that certainly seems to be a liking of AVB too.

Then again, he did sign Zokora from us for 8m :lol:

Would be the end of any hopes of us completing business early this season as it would mean another Levy - Del Nido negotiation, two of the most stubborn and difficult people in the world of football, or so I think at least.

Our old friend Frank Arnesen has been sacked from Hamburg SV today

If he did not have the history with Spurs as he has, then he would be an obvious candidate for the job

I wonder if Joe Lewis has a sense of humour? "Good morning Daniel, I've made a decision about the future of the club, Frank Arnesen will be our DoF again, he'll teleconference in to our meeting in an hour and fly over here later this evening.

Frank Arnesen would be very interesting. Would probably never happen but I wonder if it would work.

At the end of the day regardless of which way round we get it, we need someone that sings from the same hymn sheet as AVB. If that man is Baldini, then brilliant. We need to do that because when AVB goes, we need to replace him with someone that won't make radical changes to the playing set up and can work well with the squad we have assembled. It sounds like Baldini and AVB have always gotten along, so I think it will be a very good appointment.

Didn't Monchi's signing get worse the more money he had to spend?

The suggestion's that he has gotten less and less involved in their set-up since 2008 - Sevilla's had a lot of managerial instability of late and are in financial trouble, while their signings have shifted from Brazil to Africa (not sure why, perhaps Africans are cheaper and easier to get than the increasingly wealthy Brazilian league?).

Sunderland are also looking at a DOF...

The suggestion's that he has gotten less and less involved in their set-up since 2008 - Sevilla's had a lot of managerial instability of late and are in financial trouble, while their signings have shifted from Brazil to Africa (not sure why, perhaps Africans are cheaper and easier to get than the increasingly wealthy Brazilian league?).

Sunderland are also looking at a DOF...

Stoke too

I swear that everyone is trying to become like us, a decade later ;) Probably because the money at stake is making clubs shift to more long-term thinking. I assume Everton will use a DOF too, esp if they appoint Pereira.

Southampton's chairman in particular fancies himself a more Mafia-like version of Levy, if Levy had the balls/lack of integrity to throw a tantrum at his own owner for funds. :lol:

I swear that everyone is trying to become like us, a decade later ;) Probably because the money at stake is making clubs shift to more long-term thinking. I assume Everton will use a DOF too, esp if they appoint Pereira.

Southampton's chairman in particular fancies himself a more Mafia-like version of Levy, if Levy had the balls/lack of integrity to throw a tantrum at his own owner for funds. :lol:

Er what? The Southampton Chairman's 'tantrum' has very little to do with funds, and all to do with a power struggle.

Er what? The Southampton Chairman's 'tantrum' has very little to do with funds, and all to do with a power struggle.

Power = funds. Cortese is an ambitious man and he wants more backing to achieve it.

Cortese was said to be considering his position due to frustrations over the backing he receives. However, he and the owner signed off on the plans for the club next season, meaning the Italian will remain with the south coast club.

why was arnesen sacked? seems like he lost his touch after leaving us. but i say leave him be on his long decline.

is our transfer policy really that bad? and even with a DOF he'd have to face up to Levy still!

Power = funds. Cortese is an ambitious man and he wants more backing to achieve it.

Backing doesn't just mean funds though.

The disagreements are more to do with how much the Owners get involved. Cortese wants them to back him by leaving all the decisions to him.

Back