• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Re: Official - Mousa Dembele

Dembele can't help the fact that AVB decided that it would be appropriate for him to sit deep whilst.....SCOTT PARKER...YES...SCOTT PARKER is given the box to box role. Any manager that feels that Parker is better in the advanced role than Dembele is clearly either highly intoxicated or outright incompetent.

Dembele can't help the fact that AVB decided that it would be appropriate for him to sit deep whilst.....SCOTT PARKER...YES...SCOTT PARKER is given the box to box role. Any manager that feels that Parker is better in the advanced role than Dembele is clearly either highly intoxicated or outright incompetent.

Bang on. I hate the constant bringing up of ex managers, but this one is right and relevant. AVB ruined Dembele. I think we'll see a new player this season. Maybe a bit of the old Dembele up until around October time, but beyond that he'll be something special. I feel it in my waters.

What i don't get is that he started his career as a wide forward / striker? and then Martin Jol (still love the big guy) used him at Fulham in a central, more deeper role and he was excellent and then he and Sandro were gigantic for us in centre mid for us when we had pace on the wings - but he wasn't a creative midfielder per se more an enabler and defensively very strong.

its understandable that avb might try him in a deeper position - let's face it the guy scores the odd screamer a season but he does not have an eye for goal (or hte positional sense) to score on a more regular basis. You use what tools you have available. avb did not ruin dembele, that is just bullocks, he just didn't use him to the nest of MD's abilities rather for the greater good of the team.

It will be interesting to see how Poch uses him if and when he is fit enough to return.

Not alongside Dembele obviously, but Parker was often also given more licence to get forward than his partner under Redknapp. So it wasn't just an AVB thing.

Not alongside Dembele obviously, but Parker was often also given more licence to get forward than his partner under Redknapp. So it wasn't just an AVB thing.

It works when you have a deep lying playmaker like Luka threading in passes every 5 seconds (and besides i'm pretty sure Redknapp would have stopped it had it not worked).

AVB on the other hand clearly saw it wasn't working then...did it again...and again...and again. The stupid thing about it is that he started Sandro in the deeper role with Dembele given license to roam....it works perfectly....then when Sandro gets injured he does that. macaronic decision.

It works when you have a deep lying playmaker like Luka threading in passes every 5 seconds (and besides i'm pretty sure Redknapp would have stopped it had it not worked).

AVB on the other hand clearly saw it wasn't working then...did it again...and again...and again. The stupid thing about it is that he started Sandro in the deeper role with Dembele given license to roam....it works perfectly....then when Sandro gets injured he does that. macaronic decision.
No offence intended KD and it is lartly my fault for bringing Redknapp into the discussion but I'm not really in the mood for another AVB v Redknapp discussion. It has been done to death and has a habit of killing threads.

I think that our biggest problem in central midfield over the last two seasons has been one of balance. I think that Dembele is a decent player and certainly a lot better than a lot of people give him credit for. Unfortunately, when he is played alongside a stopper we struggle to get the ball forward quickly.

I think that this is an interesting season for Dembele. If he stays with us I see him either playing further forward or as the DM alongside a more gifted passer.

No offence intended KD and it is lartly my fault for bringing Redknapp into the discussion but I'm not really in the mood for another AVB v Redknapp discussion. It has been done to death and has a habit of killing threads.

I think that our biggest problem in central midfield over the last two seasons has been one of balance. I think that Dembele is a decent player and certainly a lot better than a lot of people give him credit for. Unfortunately, when he is played alongside a stopper we struggle to get the ball forward quickly.

I think that this is an interesting season for Dembele. If he stays with us I see him either playing further forward or as the DM alongside a more gifted passer.

I think the Sandro Dembele partnership for a while was brilliant. They had a good synergy and in true Spurs fashion injury robbed us of the solidity they gave us and we haven't really seen as good a partnership formed since. Could it work again? Possibly but Sandro really hasn't bounced back to that level yet and Dembele seems to have regressed too. I would like to see the Dembele paired with Capoue or even better Schniederlin who are players that sit deep and move the ball around well. There is no dedicated DM as such but all three players have a good defensive side to their game and that coupled with the pressing up the pitch should be more enough.

Last edited:

I think the Sandro Dembele partnership for while was brilliant. They had a good synergy and in true Spurs fashion injury robbed us of that solidity they gave us and we haven't really seem as good a partnership formed since. Could it work again? Possibl,y but Sandro really hasn't bounced back to that level yet and Dembele seems to have regressed too. I would like to see the Dembele paired with Capoue or even better Schniederlin who are players that sit deap and move the ball around well. There is no dedicated DM as such but all three players have a good defensive side to their game and that coupled with the pressing up the pitch should be more enough.
It was very solid and must have been a nightmare to play against but we still struggled to get the ball forwards quickly at this time.

I do like Dembele but he slows the game down, it looks to me that Poch wants to play a faster passing game and i am not sure Dembele would fit into that.

I think he'd do well on the right side and cause damage in a different way to Eriksen.

Eriksen cuts in from the left causing trouble for those marking, but causes havoc due to his creativity and eye for goal. I think Dembele could quite easily cut in, use skill to power past a player with ease then opening up more space due to his strength on the ball, allowing him to then pass to a more creative player who can do damage with space he's created.

I think he'd do well on the right side and cause damage in a different way to Eriksen.

Eriksen cuts in from the left causing trouble for those marking, but causes havoc due to his creativity and eye for goal. I think Dembele could quite easily cut in, use skill to power past a player with ease then opening up more space due to his strength on the ball, allowing him to then pass to a more creative player who can do damage with space he's created.

He's not the greatest passer especially trying to spot passes in tight spaces.
I think he'd be much better dribbling up the left and crossing it in with his left (better) foot than attempting to play on the right cutting in to do nothing.

He's not the greatest passer especially trying to spot passes in tight spaces.
I think he'd be much better dribbling up the left and crossing it in with his left (better) foot than attempting to play on the right cutting in to do nothing.

thats why he'd pass it simple to a more creative player

To anyone who managed to watch any of the game, how did Dembele look when he came on? Play well? Make a difference?

He looked fit, did well defensively as Mumorn says. Also liked that he passed the ball a lot quicker than he did last season. Made me believe he could still do a very good job for us this season and hopefully coming seasons.

I have kind of given up Dembele. He is the most frustrating player we have at Spurs .
The man has absolutely all the attributes, he is strong like an ox, calm on the ball (never panicks), can just glide past players with ease (reminds me of Toure) .

But he just doesn't use his skills, the problem with Dembele is that he has absolutely no footballbrain, and he never take any risks (can't remeber thelast time I've seen him glide past players like he used to do) . I also suspect him for being lazy .

There is a really really good footballer in him, but his worst enemy is himself . I always had high hopes for him, but after several years of dissapoitment I have given up on him . A decent footballer no doubt, but with his skills he should be great.

Breaks my heart to se such talent wasted .

Back