• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most overrated bands

To back Steff up, I know Lars and James can come across dingdongish when it comes to their music, but I see that as just being passionate. In interviews Lars always seems a good sport and James seems pretty level headed too. Compare them to Courtney Love, M?Âtley Cr??e, etc. they're fine.

The irony is they (Metallica) in the early days got in trouble from their label for telling fans who couldn't afford the Kill 'em All album to steal it!

Funny what money does to people.

It was never about money Dave. It was about protecting the right of someone to have permission asked of them before their work was redistributed for free. It was about trying to protect young bands, many of whom relied on the income they got from selling music. It was never about money...

Try black dog, dazed and confused, stairway to heaven, immigrant song and whole lotta love for some different but easily accessible tracks

How can you miss out
Rock and Roll
When the Levee breaks
Bron y aur stomp

sadly though, some of their stuff is pretty self indulgent, and its only when you compare it to them at their best, that you see how ordinary it is, which I guess is fine, not everything can be a masterpiece.

ps - I really don't like Kashmir, GHod knows why Zep fans go on about it

Possibly the best live band of all time, and that includes Queen and Pink Floyd. I finally got to see them live in 2007, but by then they'd had to key down their music and Collins had lost a lot of the power in singing. Absolutely love The Police too. GHod I'm old.....

Absolutely loved the Police, they and Genesis had that Live Wow factor, in that they sounded far better live, than they did on their studio albums. I was lucky to see them both live a few times and never came away disappointed. Both very different stage presentations, genesis really worked on the visual effects, and pioneered a lot of stuff that became commonplace. The live performance I saw in the velodrome in Rome in 82 (IIRC) was mindblowing, particularly as they did Suppers Ready, which they said they were going to stop doing, but the Italians wouldn't let them get away without it. The whole gig was over 3 hours long.

Strangely, one of the most amazing live performances I ever saw was Niel Young, alone on stage with a guitar, a piano and an harmonica. When he played The Needle and the damage done, you could hear the audience breathing.

How can you miss out
Rock and Roll
When the Levee breaks
Bron y aur stomp

sadly though, some of their stuff is pretty self indulgent, and its only when you compare it to them at their best, that you see how ordinary it is, which I guess is fine, not everything can be a masterpiece.

ps - I really don't like Kashmir, GHod knows why Zep fans go on about it

Agreed, but I just wanted to show 4 good and varied in examples...

Agree about Neil young. Saw him in early 90s and was blown away

I know this thread is all about negativity and bands being over rated, but for me Young is the best ever. mick cooper, check out the reprise albums from a few years back, the live ones, especially Live at Carnegie Hall. Think it was the first recorded performance of Needle and the Damage Done, before Harvest was released so was fresh for him. Incredible. He explains what its about before he plays, thinking of Whitten all the way through no doubt

Neil Young played the Isle of Wight Festival a couple of years ago, he'll never play the Festival again I don't think after the reception he received. Few of the people there really appeared to know who he was and those that were watching in the crowd booed him off stage before his encore.

I barely knew who he was and so decided to skip watching the performance and instead spend my time laying on the grass and drinking beers with mates. Perhaps had I known who he was or had more knowledge about his background, I would have taken the chance to see him but he didn't seem to be any kind of good judging from what those who did see him said.

Neil Young is an absolute living legend! The guy was so prolific in his prime, at least 1 album every year without fail most years! Heart Of Gold and The Needle And The Damage Done are phenomal pieces of work! Hey Hey My My is also one of my favourites Neil Young "it's better to burn out than fade away" great line! Noel Gallagher did a very good cover of Hey Hey My My at an Oasis gig at Wembley.

I saw him in '09 at Glastonbury. I was a naive 19 year old, only heard Harvest. Sat on the hill with a load of middle aged hippies smoking a joint and it hit me how good he was. 64 years old and had more intensity than pretty much anyone else i'd seen before, or since. Can't wait for him to tour again

[video=youtube;apUCSOkxXqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apUCSOkxXqs[/video]

Neil Young is an absolute living legend! The guy was so prolific in his prime, at least 1 album every year without fail most years! Heart Of Gold and The Needle And The Damage Done are phenomal pieces of work! Hey Hey My My is also one of my favourites Neil Young "it's better to burn out than fade away" great line! Noel Gallagher did a very good cover of Hey Hey My My at an Oasis gig at Wembley.

its better to burn out, cause rust never sleeps..............

I saw him in '09 at Glastonbury. I was a naive 19 year old, only heard Harvest. Sat on the hill with a load of middle aged hippies smoking a joint and it hit me how good he was. 64 years old and had more intensity than pretty much anyone else i'd seen before, or since. Can't wait for him to tour again

sedan delivery from rust never sleeps

The needle

Old Man

Cinammon girl

so much good stuff, it goes on and on

nothing boring about mr Young, apart from his voice maybe.............but I like it.

sedan delivery from rust never sleeps

The needle

Old Man

Cinammon girl

so much good stuff, it goes on and on

nothing boring about mr Young, apart from his voice maybe.............but I like it.

he is a fantastic performer because he just throws himself into it and does not give a fudge about anything else...have to say, i loved "Arc" and "Weld"...

Couldn't agree more. Very well put

Can't believe Oasis didn't make the first page. They were hailed as the New Beatles, gods of rock and roll and who knows what else. Truth is they made two good albums and the rest was pretty naff. They aren't technically brilliant and a lot of their songs sound the same.

Back