• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

KD's right. With a double pivot you tend to have two midfielders sitting deep, you can either have a passer and a tackler or two that can do a bit of both, with one attacking midfielder higher up.

If you wanted to be really defensive then you could replace your attacking midfielder with a b2b one, but that would mean you rely on the wide forwards to link the midfield and attack more. That would isolate your striker.

I could see us doing that at times though.

Say Sandro and Schneiderlin as the pivot, Paulinho in the Davis role, with Lamela and Eriksen almost making it a 4-3-3

Whereas most of the time Eriksen would be a #10 and we'd bring in a new LWF or use Chadli there

Say Sandro and Schneiderlin as the pivot, Paulinho in the Davis role, with Lamela and Eriksen almost making it a 4-3-3

Whereas most of the time Eriksen would be a #10 and we'd bring in a new LWF or use Chadli there

I think that works when you have a performing striker and two wide forwards who are consistently chipping in with goals. Without wanting to turn this into another Ade conversation, I don't think he's the one we can rely on to do that week in, week out. That means that Lamela has to hit the ground running and that Eriksen has to suffer no regression this season at all - whilst I think he's a very good player it would be unrealistic to expect him to turn up like he did last season for the whole of this one.

Good post. Pretty much what i was trying to get at;)

I don't know wtf is going on today. You and I are agreeing here, Millsy_Yiddo agreed with me in a thread on SN&V..... I fully expect a fissure in space/time to suck us all in and spit us into some alternative universe (yes, I know alternative universe is an oxymoron) where Spurs are forever snatching victory from the jaws of defeat and Arsenal are a club that aims to win stuff once in a while.

What's hard to understand? he didn't use a box to box midfielder at Southampton (well not in that role anyway). As GB says, Davis is a box to box player naturally but Poch didn't use him in that role and instead used him in a more advanced role. That role is null and void if Poch sticks to the exact same system as the advanced central player would be the one given the licence to support the striker.

Let me give you a hypothetical situation: if Poch was given a Lampard of 10 years ago or a Viera of 15 years ago, would he use them? If he's as good a coach as they say, you can bet your wallet he would.

The question then of course lends itself - would he fit in a Paulinho - version Confederations Cup?

Let me give you a hypothetical situation: if Poch was given a Lampard of 10 years ago or a Viera of 15 years ago, would he use them? If he's as good a coach as they say, you can bet your wallet he would.

The question then of course lends itself - would he fit in a Paulinho - version Confederations Cup?

The confederations cup was a glorified friendly tournament played at home.

I think people are doing exactly the same thing they did pre AVB, we simply don't know what/who/how Poch is going to play, hence we can't say what player will/won't fit.

Remember AVB was going to play 4-3-3 every game and Dawson was gone?

Think we will have to wait and see with Poch.

I think people are doing exactly the same thing they did pre AVB, we simply don't know what/who/how Poch is going to play, hence we can't say what player will/won't fit.

Wise words

Poch used one at Soton - Steven Davis.

But he used him more advance - in the centre of the 3, rather than in the two

That should be Ericksen's role.
Paulinho is more box-to-box, but I fear Poch will not use him as such.

My real dread is that Ericksen will be banished to the flanks and that will be a shame, judging by the way he was deployed in the Toronto training session yesterday.

Indeed but that shows how risky the appointment is.
No one really knows what to expect same as AVB.

what would you rather?

------------adebayor---------
griezmann-eriksen-lamela
--------sandro schneiderlin--

or

-----------adebayor
eriksen--------------lamela
-----------paulinho---------
----sandro - schneiderlin

what would you rather?

------------adebayor---------
griezmann-eriksen-lamela
--------sandro schneiderlin--

or

-----------adebayor
eriksen--------------lamela
-----------paulinho---------
----sandro - schneiderlin

The top one for 90% of games, but the bottom one away to the big clubs.

The top one for 90% of games, but the bottom one away to the big clubs.

why? invisibilinho doesn't even have decent work rate to compensate for everything else he lacks. We'd be sacrificing an attacking player who can actually penetrate the opposition backline for a passenger (who doesn't even work hard). Makes no sense.

why? invisibilinho doesn't even have decent work rate to compensate for everything else he lacks. We'd be sacrificing an attacking player who can actually penetrate the opposition backline for a passenger (who doesn't even work hard). Makes no sense.

Because I think he'll be much better than he has shown when he's rested, confident and given a fitting role in an organised system.

Because I think he'll be much better than he has shown when he's rested, confident and given a fitting role in an organised system.

I think that's what you hope...i'm not sure you actually think it.

Anyway going by Poch's tactics it looks bleak for Invisibilinho. If he plays he'll probably be deployed as a DM or instructed to keep it simple...no thanks...GHod no.

Bidding war on the cards, which is bad enough with the saints already taking the p*ss.

Got to leverage the good will that Schnerderlein has for Poch. Arsenal are just trying to bait him with money, depending on the type of person schneiderlein will show how much this matters (obv we're not gonna be paying him a pittance).

And maybe, with the amount of players Southampton are shedding, have we not got anyone surplus who might want to go the other way (inc loanees)

Think Schnerdelein looks the part and dare i say it, a genuine all rounder. If someone offers us 20m for Pauliniho, so it almost works out at a straight swap then i'd be happy with that.

Bidding war on the cards, which is bad enough with the saints already taking the p*ss.

Got to leverage the good will that Schnerderlein has for Poch. Arsenal are just trying to bait him with money, depending on the type of person schneiderlein will show how much this matters (obv we're not gonna be paying him a pittance).

And maybe, with the amount of players Southampton are shedding, have we not got anyone surplus who might want to go the other way (inc loanees)

Think Schnerdelein looks the part and dare i say it, a genuine all rounder. If someone offers us 20m for Pauliniho, so it almost works out at a straight swap then i'd be happy with that.

I agree with the last part. I think Paulinho will ultimately prove to be a very good footballer but I think Schneiderlin is a better fit for our formation.

Back