• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Well if Nicholson, Blanchflower, Perryman, Hoddle or Greaves AREN'T considered amongst our greatest, then I may as well give up!!

I'll give you Mabbutt & King... one's an over-rated diabetic who should never have been playing football, and the other was a tinkle-head who fell out of night clubs when he wasn't playing... waste of fudging fans' hard earned money IMHO!

I didn't say they weren't the greatest, i was just stating that the criteria you were using (number of years served), is not a way to find the greatest. Just the ones who were here longest.

Klinsmann is one of the greatest players to ever play for Spurs, he spent 18 months here.

I refute that and it makes me puke when spurs fans fawn over this guy. In his first stint he was amazing then tinkled off as soon as he could. Second stint he needed playing time, and he was crap for most of that season apart from his 4 goals in the last match which made his stay look better than he was.

Spurs Legend? never in my eyes!!!

Spursalot

I didn't say they weren't the greatest, i was just stating that the criteria you were using (number of years served), is not a way to find the greatest. Just the ones who were here longest.

Ah, but there were far bricker, who were here for far longer... and I didn't include them!

Great players are one thing... but longevity only adds to that greatness...? surely to qualify for 'GREATEST' status, a great player has to stay here for longer than it takes for his agent to decide he deserves better??

The Klinsmann argument is one that splits opinion... yes he was great, yes he was here... but he also fudged off... plenty of players stuck it out and saw the job through... if that's not worthy of greatness, I dunno what is?

then again, Ben Alnwick and Vinny Samways were here longer than many in our history... so I see your point!!!

I get the feeling there may be a semantics issue here..

Spurs legend =/= Greatest players to play for spurs

Granted some spurs legends are some of the greatest players to play for spurs, you can have great players who played for us not being legends, and you can have legends who were not always great players...

i.e - great player - ability based
spurs legend - based on a lot more (ability, loyalty, style, etc)

Last edited:
Klinsmann = Legend (due to his status earned BEFORE he signed for us)
Maradonna = Legend (same criteria, and yet he only played one Friendly game for Spurs, therefore he was a Legend who played for us!)

Hoddle = Greatest & Legend... became a Legend WHILST playing for Spurs... even whilst we were pretty brick!
King = See Hoddle...

then there's Modric = No doubting his ability as a great player... but for the whole of last season, you got the feeling he was 'doing us a favour' by demeaning himself to stoop low enough to represent us... and now can't wait to leave... hardly the behaviour of one of TOTTENHAM'S GREATEST players is it?

Klinsmann = Legend (due to his status earned BEFORE he signed for us)
Maradonna = Legend (same criteria, and yet he only played one Friendly game for Spurs, therefore he was a Legend who played for us!)

Hoddle = Greatest & Legend... became a Legend WHILST playing for Spurs... even whilst we were pretty brick!
King = See Hoddle...

then there's Modric = No doubting his ability as a great player... but for the whole of last season, you got the feeling he was 'doing us a favour' by demeaning himself to stoop low enough to represent us... and now can't wait to leave... hardly the behaviour of one of TOTTENHAM'S GREATEST players is it?

That wasn't the point though was it?

The original point was one of the greatest players to have ever worn a tottenham shirt. :p

Like i said, semantics..

Yes. Why not? One of the greatest players to have ever worn a Spurs shirt and has given his all on the pitch for 4 years. Perhaps I'm just above shouting abuse at a player that wants to leave for the biggest club in the world.

Maybe the issue is not that he wants to leave but the way he has gone about it that completely stinks.

In my opinion he does not come close to one of the greatest players ever to play for Spurs

are people really arguing the toss over someone saying Modric is one of the greatest players to play for Spurs ?

quite clearly meant that he is one of the best players to play for us rather than some kind of legend.

and in my time supporting Spurs he is definitely up there with the best

Maybe the issue is not that he wants to leave but the way he has gone about it that completely stinks.

In my opinion he does not come close to one of the greatest players ever to play for Spurs

Agreed. I haven't loved how he's left, but four years is a long time in the modern game (twice as long as Berbatov, who some still fawn over here), and he was an absolutely fantastic footballer for most of his time here. I'm glad he's off to Madrid, and I, for one, will be cheering him on and hoping to see him win leagues and a European Championship.

Let's not also forget that he buckled down after the Chelsea thing didn't happen and had a fantastic season last year. I couldn't have cheered him if he went there, but I'm fine w/ him going to RM.

Class player, and I would applaud him given the chance.

Yes. Why not? One of the greatest players to have ever worn a Spurs shirt and has given his all on the pitch for 4 years. Perhaps I'm just above shouting abuse at a player that wants to leave for the biggest club in the world.

Greatest to play for us? :ross::ross::ross:

It was misquoted,Mamic said that around 2,5m € would go to Dinamo

Which would still be nonsense.

€2.5m would propose that the overall deal is €50m. I don't see those figures quotes anywhere; the most I've seen the media speculate over is this €45m.

It's obvious the media don't understand that any sell-on percentage will only be applied to the value over and above the £16.5m. At most, I think Dynamo will receive £925k (€1.2m)

Back