• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

I wouldn't even say he's 'one of the most gifted players' we've had. Depends on how far down you want to go when you define 'one of' though I guess.

Hoddle
Gascoigne
Ginola
Berbatov
Waddle
Villa
Ardiles
Sheringham
Klinsmann
King

Modric is a very good player. He can shake off players, and has a good pass on him. But I certainly wouldn't label him as 'one of the most gifted we've ever had'.

Just my opinion of course.

I wouldn't even say he's 'one of the most gifted players' we've had. Depends on how far down you want to go when you define 'one of' though I guess.

Hoddle
Gascoigne
Ginola
Berbatov
Waddle
Villa
Ardiles
Sheringham
Klinsmann
King

Modric is a very good player. He can shake off players, and has a good pass on him. But I certainly wouldn't label him as 'one of the most gifted we've ever had'.

I'd put Modric in just below Ardiles, but above Sheringham, Klinsmann and King. Of course, my opinion could be skewed by the fact that out of that list, I've only ever seen Sheringham, Ginola, King and Berbatov live. I've seen more than enough of the rest of them to make that guess, however. Still just an opinion, obviously, so no harm done. :)

Last edited:
A wonderful player. I loved watching him. Disappointed he's leaving and disappointed in the way his advisors, err, 'advised' him during his time with us (other than the 6 year contract!) but c'est la vie, the club is so much bigger than any player. In fact, the only player I can really think of who 'might' trifle with that phrase, is Glenn Hoddle!

Modric is like Berbatov in the way that he looks good in a Spurs shirt, but once he takes the next step up to a really big club like Berba did, he too will be one of many outstanding players and the Madrid fans wont be as appreciative of his ability as we are

Modric is like Berbatov in the way that he looks good in a Spurs shirt, but once he takes the next step up to a really big club like Berba did, he too will be one of many outstanding players and the Madrid fans wont be as appreciative of his ability as we are

That's more to do with the fans' brain activity (or lack thereof) rather than the players per se

Berbatov shone when he formed a special partnership with Keane. Neither did as well without each other.

Modric has shone alongside a variety of players in several positions. He hasn't had a perfect partner and has been able to adapt. That suggests he has the football intelligence to adapt. He might benefit with getting less opposition attention if there are other creative threats.

I prefer Bale too, in an argument as to who is "better".

Modric is great to watch, a football purist's dream, but in terms of actual gamewinning moments of incredible beauty he is nothing compared to Gazza, Ginola, Waddle...

i think as an all round player modric is better than bale. i'm tempted to say significantly better but i wont go there for sure

but if i had to pick the better overall player of the two it would be modric

can we name 10 better CMs than modric over the last 20 or 30 years? i would be confident going back 20 years and saying 'no' but not 30 as i havent been supporting spurs for that length

That's more to do with the fans' brain activity (or lack thereof) rather than the players per se

i do think that because Spurs fans have been starved of quality players over the years, we do go overboard in appreciation when we finally have one or two

can we name 10 better CMs than modric over the last 20 or 30 years? i would be confident going back 20 years and saying 'no' but not 30 as i havent been supporting spurs for that length

If you include all different types of players that could be classified as central midfielders such as out and out attacking midfielders such as Kaka, Zidane etc I think you're wrong.

Hoddle
Gascoigne
Ginola
Berbatov
Waddle
Villa
Ardiles
Sheringham
Klinsmann
King

Walob. Modric tinkles over most of them.

Walob. Modric tinkles over most of them.

Hoddle - 10 times the passing range and vision Modric will ever possess
Gascoigne - Idiot savant who could have been the best save for his knee and drink problems
Ginola - Is the only one that I would put Modric ahead of
Berbatov - Best striker Spurs have seen for a generation
Waddle - One of, if not possibly the best winger of his generation
Villa - World Cup and trophies for Spurs
Ardiles - World Cup and trophies for Spurs
Sheringham - Three league titles and a CL title and played at the highest level until he hit 40
Klinsmann - World Cup winner
King - But for the grace of GHod the best defender of his generation

Modric is a good player but he consistently fails to make his mark in important games and fails to turn a game for us. If the team plays well, Modric plays well, if the team struggles he doesn't have the ability to take hold of a game and put us back in it. That, imo, is the mark of a world class midfielder, to take a game that is going the south and bring it under control.

Back