• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

What you are getting with Modric, in my opinion is a proven player at levels in which someone like Hazard is not. Modric has been one of the top players in the Premier League, that alone adds to his value because it reduces the risk factor when signing a player.

It's a Spanish club signing him though. I'm guessing most people in Spain would view La Liga as the best league in the world.

I agree he's proven more than Hazard so far, but most people agree that Hazard is going to be one of the best players in the world soon.

Those who agree with holding out for £35m (or whichever paper you read as none of us know) are underestimating how much this could affect our season. If we sell him for £35m on 31/8/12 and buy someone the same day we'll already be 2/3 games in!!! What goods that!! Get rid now ffs!!!

I'll reiterate - get rid now. £32m upwards, bang, off ya go sunshine.

so what happens next season when someone fancies trying to get Bale ? put in a low bid - unsettle the player and then Spurs (by your logic) would get rid asap

so what happens next season when someone fancies trying to get Bale ? put in a low bid - unsettle the player and then Spurs (by your logic) would get rid asap

for some reason i can't edit my post but i mean to say, a low bid as in a bid a lot less than what we value the player at

Regardless of whether we get £35m or £40m for Modric, the real value of that money (to the fans at least) will depend on how it is subsequently utilised. £30m secured at the beginning of the season, spent on players to help assemble a squad that gets off to a fast start to the season and qualifies for CL, may be "worth" more than £50m secured in the last hour before the transfer window closes and then not spent on players but invested to seciure a gretaer return for the shareholders.

It all depends on how you define value, and where your priorities lie.

Pretty sure by now it's been said these are rare circumstances.

As for Bale if he kicked up a fuss too then who knows?

Regardless of whether we get £35m or £40m for Modric, the real value of that money (to the fans at least) will depend on how it is subsequently utilised. £30m secured at the beginning of the season, spent on players to help assemble a squad that gets off to a fast start to the season and qualifies for CL, may be "worth" more than £50m secured in the last hour before the transfer window closes and then not spent on players but invested to seciure a gretaer return for the shareholders.

It all depends on how you define value, and where your priorities lie.

If we didn't spend it now we would most likely spend it in January or next summer. Although spending it this summer would obviously be the best. I don't think we've paid out any substantial share dividends for years now.

Well. Rare-ish. Carrick and Berbatov were somewhat similar in some ways although Carrick was let go earlier as we got a good enough bid in earlier in the window. We all see a potentially similar situation with Bale, I think it could happen with Sandro and/or Walker as well at some point. Hopefully we'll have more top class players in the future, in that case these situations will be more frequent.

chances are that if we have a good stint in and around our current position then it will possibly become a regular occurrence as the one or two better players feel they are progressing quicker than the team. stand firm now and i believe we will be better off long term as a result, although it is an area in which it would be hard to measure how much effect it would have

You don't just get rid of one of your best assests without getting his value back in return. That's just not good business.

Round and round and round we go!!

It's also not good business to have an employee who doesn't want to be there with you. Team players and all that.

He didn't want to be here last season either but it didn't stop him from performing at a high level still.

He didn't want to be here last season either but it didn't stop him from performing at a high level still.

exactly and in my view there is little to no chance, should he stay, that he would be any less of the player he was last season - it would be a total fudge up on his part should he throw a wobbly and not play to his abilities for a league season - to much could go wrong for him if he does that - chances are if he doesn't sign for Madrid this summer they would move on to a different target next year anyway as other players will come to their attention meaning he will have to impress this year in order to gain interest from another top club, play badly and the bigger clubs will be looking to other potential targets, targets who have played a full season to their abilities and not shown bad temperament

Last edited:

Decent. High? That's debatable. Integral yes but if you look at his general body language and demeanour it's not great either.

Back