• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

I wonder if anyone below the age of 30 knows who he is?

Seriously though, even if I was 18 again, I'm pretty sure no amount of training and diet would get me close to even an un-doped Ben Johnson. And I was always reasonably quick over 20 metres -- much less lardy than my online moniker might suggest!
That was an amazing race at the time. I'd say they were all doped the fudge one way or another. However, Johnson made it into the pantheon of the world's best cheaters along with some notables such as Lance Armstrong, Russian athletes, Emirates Marketing Project, John Terry, the 2000 Spanish Paralympic team (ringers - google it) and Ryan Giggs.

Last edited:
That was an amazing race at the time. I'd say they were all doped the fudge one way or another. However, Johnson made it into the pantheon of the world's best cheaters along with some notables such as Lance Armstrong, Russian athletes, Emirates Marketing Project, John Terry, the 2000 Spanish Paralympic team (ringers - google it) and Ryan Giggs.
It has now somewhat come out that Carl Lewis was also doping at stages of his career. I think you're right, most of them were doing it. Ben Johnson was just the one that got caught.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I wonder if anyone below the age of 30 knows who he is?

Seriously though, even if I was 18 again, I'm pretty sure no amount of training and diet would get me close to even an un-doped Ben Johnson. And I was always reasonably quick over 20 metres -- much less lardy than my online moniker might suggest!
I was pretty quick, and at 13 someone suggested I should try out athletics and sprint. Within less than a year I improved my 60 m by 3/10s of a second, and almost made it to sub 7 seconds on the 60m. 7.02 is pretty darn quick for a 14 year old. I probably could have been a decent sprinter if I had continued, but I had little interest in it. Thought it was too one dimensional and boring.

Vdv's ceiling is so high I can see him being the best defender in the league soon.

His interceptions and layoffs today v Fulham that led to the goals were perfect.

On top of his other copious attributes, it is incredible to see that turn of pace he has. Struggle to see any player in the league out sprinting him over a decent distance. Think it's great security for Romero, who can go and be aggressive and intercept like he is so good at doing - safe in the knowledge that VDV is there to mop up behind.

We've got a top class CB partnership all of a sudden. Both of their games really complement each other and they are both so calm and composed on the ball. All good teams have this!

On top of his other copious attributes, it is incredible to see that turn of pace he has. Struggle to see any player in the league out sprinting him over a decent distance. Think it's great security for Romero, who can go and be aggressive and intercept like he is so good at doing - safe in the knowledge that VDV is there to mop up behind.

We've got a top class CB partnership all of a sudden. Both of their games really complement each other and they are both so calm and composed on the ball. All good teams have this!

Thought he was brilliant last night and his pace is an incredible asset. The boy has a very high ceiling for sure but he has a moment or two every game. It helps having Romero next to him, I think if he had another partner from the options available, he might not look quite as good.

Don’t get me wrong, the lad has far exceeded my expectations at this stage but, as you allude to, it’s as much about the partnership with Romero as anything else.

On Romero…fudge me, what a player. He’s cut out the stupidity and lost absolutely none of the good stuff.

On Romero…fudge me, what a player. He’s cut out the stupidity and lost absolutely none of the good stuff.

100% this. Messi described him as the best defender in the World and on this form he’s right up there. I’m sure he won’t get credit from other teams supporters though who will still think of him as rash and a yellow card magnet from last season. He’s gone so far past that this season. He’s taken to the additional responsibility of being a part of the leadership team and he’s really become just that, a leader. He controls both our backline and the opposition’s frontline.

As for Van de Ven. He’s so ahead of his years. Reads the game well. Knows how to cut out danger, when to step up and has the pace so that no attacker seems to be able to get in behind our high press. He is composed and never seems to stress instead just being a cool head there abd getting the job done. Great acquisition.

Edit details: tweaked sentence from ‘had the pace that no attacker…’ to ‘has the pace so that no attacker’ this was due to auto correct/mistype error and oversight.

Last edited:

It's like Walker or VVD (pre-injury) type pace that covers the whole backline and allows us to play the way we do. Was it him who won the ball for the second goal and got it to Son too?

I literally laugh now when I see an opposition attacker trying to go in a strait line against him, it's like "yeah, VDV will catch him"

Back