• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

I watched an interview the other day -- the one in a car, probably a page or through earlier in this thread -- where he said he used to watch videos of Verts, possibly even modelling his game on him. I mean, they're both Dutch left-footed centre backs after all. Bodes well.

Verts is belgian.

I watched an interview the other day -- the one in a car, probably a page or through earlier in this thread -- where he said he used to watch videos of Verts, possibly even modelling his game on him. I mean, they're both Dutch left-footed centre backs after all. Bodes well.

Yes i did see that. The guy is a very talented player and has confidence in his own ability and never really seems to get flustered. If he turns out to be as good as Jan then we will have a great player.

Seems like we did alright settling for VDV instead of Tapsoba :D

Some awkward moments like the own goals or Gakpo's today but on the whole, the guy looks incredibly composed and the kind of seemingly hidden (according to commentators) recovery pace that he has is invaluable.

I still think we're taking the tinkle not having any proven quality back ups for either but with VDV + Romero we have a quality partnership. I don't think the system works with either Davies or Philips replacing either of them as both Micky and Cuti are so confident on the ball. Alongside a competitive back up GK we could really do with a decent CB in January as otherwise we're just praying for no injuries.

I know it's hard to judge but both Phillips and Dorrington are very confident on the ball and like to move forward with it, Phillips is physically the stronger player.

Verts is belgian.

artworks-000042875083-8unvpq-t500x500.jpg

I know it's hard to judge but both Phillips and Dorrington are very confident on the ball and like to move forward with it, Phillips is physically the stronger player.

Good to hear, hope it doesn't sound like I'm writing him off or anything, I have never seen him play. It just seems risky not having a back up with more experience at this level but who knows, if required he could step up and smash it.

Must be good to be learning from the likes of Romero and VDV in training, I'd rather him have started instead of Sanchez for the cup game especially as Davo was on his way out but its probably been good for him to have a quiet start settling in..

Good to hear, hope it doesn't sound like I'm writing him off or anything, I have never seen him play. It just seems risky not having a back up with more experience at this level but who knows, if required he could step up and smash it.

Must be good to be learning from the likes of Romero and VDV in training, I'd rather him have started instead of Sanchez for the cup game especially as Davo was on his way out but its probably been good for him to have a quiet start settling in..
It’s bonkers not having back up that’s actually played top level football
Unless that back up ends up being Dier
But Big Ange is the guy to trust
He has made massive calls his whole career and he seems to thrive on them

It’s bonkers not having back up that’s actually played top level football
Unless that back up ends up being Dier
But Big Ange is the guy to trust
He has made massive calls his whole career and he seems to thrive on them

I think it was the right call. Clear out those that don't fit, gamble a bit in the short run, trust younger players if you have to. Sort out the squad when the chance arrives.

We have Dier and Davies that have experience at least. Then see what one of the younger lads can do if we have to call on them. It's fine, for now.

Yeah thought he was most at fault for both goals today (I.e. incl. offside one). But other than that I thought he was outstanding.

Up against one of the best attacking teams around that will happen the way we play.

Hopefully even more coming from him as he continues to settle in and develop, but already at a ridiculous level.

I think it was the right call. Clear out those that don't fit, gamble a bit in the short run, trust younger players if you have to. Sort out the squad when the chance arrives.

We have Dier and Davies that have experience at least. Then see what one of the younger lads can do if we have to call on them. It's fine, for now.
It’s 100% the right call medium term
But it’s a massive risk
The game Ange plays is high risk, high reward
The experience if a Philips and Dorrington may get would be huge too

Back