• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michel Vorm

The only club with a decent no 2 keeper is Chelsea

Seriously it's the worse position in the world as you simply wont get games other than in horrendous situation

No club has a quality no 2 keeper pushing their first choice

Last edited:
The only club with a decent no 2 keeper is Chel53a

Seriously it's the worse position in the world as you simply wont get games other than in horrendous situation

I actually think Arsenal have a more than decent backup goalkeeper in Ospina. Same can be said about United with Romero. Not talking about someone pushing their first choice, but someone that can definitely be trusted to come in and do a job when needed. Although he seems to have failed I think that's exactly what Pellegrini wanted from his backup goalkeeper too, and I would expect them to bring in someone who fits that bill either in January or next summer. It's rather obviously what Mourinho has wanted, and repeatedly managed to sign.

---------------------

Vorm at his best is also easily a decent goalkeeper. The problem seems to be that he's never recovered from the drop in form that cost him his place in the Swansea starting line-up (possibly following an injury or two?). The question becomes if he will be able to do that not getting games. If not I think we would be better off looking elsewhere for a solution to the backup goalkeeper conundrum.

I actually think Ar5ena1 have a more than decent backup goalkeeper in Ospina. Same can be said about United with Romero. Not talking about someone pushing their first choice, but someone that can definitely be trusted to come in and do a job when needed. Although he seems to have failed I think that's exactly what Pellegrini wanted from his backup goalkeeper too, and I would expect them to bring in someone who fits that bill either in January or next summer. It's rather obviously what Mourinho has wanted, and repeatedly managed to sign.

---------------------

Vorm at his best is also easily a decent goalkeeper. The problem seems to be that he's never recovered from the drop in form that cost him his place in the Swansea starting line-up (possibly following an injury or two?). The question becomes if he will be able to do that not getting games. If not I think we would be better off looking elsewhere for a solution to the backup goalkeeper conundrum.

Ospina IMO is like Vorm. A flapper and a puncher hence Kane's first goal vs them at the lane last season. But I think he is decent

Romero is ok but very different to what they have normally so it means a different style of defence which changes the team

Vorm can be a very good keeper as shown in the past but keepers just can't come in ad hoc without game time. For me they suffer massively from the scraped reserve sides

Ospina IMO is like Vorm. A flapper and a puncher hence Kane's first goal vs them at the lane last season. But I think he is decent

Romero is ok but very different to what they have normally so it means a different style of defence which changes the team

Vorm can be a very good keeper as shown in the past but keepers just can't come in ad hoc without game time. For me they suffer massively from the scraped reserve sides

Ospina was the best goalkeeper Arsenal have had since... I can't even remember, until they signed Cech. Good enough to be first choice for a top half PL club, probably a CL chasing club too. That makes him more than decent and a potentially good backup goalie. Romero is different, but he's also a good goalkeeper. Although prone to errors he's used to sitting on the bench (for better or worse) and seems a much better backup than Vorm.

What we've seen so far is that Vorm hasn't been able to perform without regular game time for us. Other goalkeepers have in the past though. Cudicini was mentioned in this thread not long ago, played that part for both Chelsea and ourselves to good effect. I think we'll be able to find a goalkeeper that can play that part for us if we want to. Goalkeepers are generally not all that expensive and decent goalkeepers are quite common.

I agree with @Bedfordspurs, I think he's a decent keeper when he gets a good run of games, there was clear improvement toward the end of last season when he was in as cover

I agree that he's a good goalkeeper when on form. It's just that the latest performance once again shows that he seems to be struggling to find form without that run of games that will be very rare for him. Doesn't seem like a good backup goalkeeper to me. Would much rahter han someone like Cudicini, or even Cerny who was backup for Robinson iirc.

I agree that he's a good goalkeeper when on form. It's just that the latest performance once again shows that he seems to be struggling to find form without that run of games that will be very rare for him. Doesn't seem like a good backup goalkeeper to me. Would much rahter han someone like Cudicini, or even Cerny who was backup for Robinson iirc.

I'm not saying he's perfect, just that things could be a lot worse

I think it's also a fair bet that we figured there was a better than even chance he'd be number one by now and his ability to plug in was less off an issue

I'm not saying he's perfect, just that things could be a lot worse

I think it's also a fair bet that we figured there was a better than even chance he'd be number one by now and his ability to plug in was less off an issue

Not saying he couldn't be worse. And definitely not saying he was a bad purchase at the time. Just saying that unless he can start showing that ability to perform well with sporadic game time rather snappishly it might be the time to look for a replacement in the transfer market. Vorm's stock is probably still high enough that we could get decent value for him and an experienced goalie to be backup could be brought in fairly cheaply as we've seen in the past.

You don't need a top back-up keeper. And I don't think it does any good having a promising kid either.

All you need is a veteran safe pair of hands - a Friedel or a Cuicini. Even a Cerney.

A rough estimate, I'd say Vorm has dropped 8 or 9 clangers in his 17 appearances

I think your massively exaggerating gutter boy but if you can back it up I'll happily correct myself

I agree that you either need a young hungry keeper but invariably that means there lacking experience

Or you need an old head happy to play second fiddle. That would be the preference

But in reality it's a job that Vorm should be comfortable with and he should be playing better when he does get those chances

I think your massively exaggerating gutter boy but if you can back it up I'll happily correct myself

I agree that you either need a young hungry keeper but invariably that means there lacking experience

Or you need an old head happy to play second fiddle. That would be the preference

But in reality it's a job that Vorm should be comfortable with and he should be playing better when he does get those chances

Leicester in the FA cup
A couple against Sheff U in the LC semis, maybe one against Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the 1/4s
Then this season's 3 or 4 too

Not all led to goals, but they were all blunders

Leicester in the FA cup
A couple against Sheff U in the LC semis, maybe one against Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the 1/4s
Then this season's 3 or 4 too

Not all led to goals, but they were all blunders

Like Hugos kicks yesterday ... No one is perfect

I assumed you were referring to goals conceded but clearly not and therefore imo it's a pretty weak argument

He probably has a better goals conceded ratio than a lot of keepers for us too but I'd hardly call him a success

I think a lot of crap is spouted by some fans over the years about our back up keepers, Cudicini, Freidel, Vorm etc have all been called crap by fans at some time. Truth is they where back up keepers ( mostly) and overall they have all done what they were asked to do.

I think a lot of crap is spouted by some fans over the years about our back up keepers, Cudicini, Freidel, Vorm etc have all been called crap by fans at some time. Truth is they where back up keepers ( mostly) and overall they have all done what they were asked to do.

Thats why their back ups and decent pros

Caballero wasn't the best advertisement for a back-up keeper on Saturday! Only perhaps Chelsea have 2 very strong keepers.

Caballero wasn't the best advertisement for a back-up keeper on Saturday! Only perhaps Chel53a have 2 very strong keepers.

I agree although as someone said earlier Ospina isn't bad and you could add Stoke to that with Shay Given as back up

Freidel and Cudicini were always dependable (except when motorcycle accidents intervened). They never single-handedly knocked us out of 2 cups in 9 months/17 appearances.

The only club with a decent no 2 keeper is Chel53a

Vorm was a quality keeper at Swansea though. Its not fair to judge him, you're never going to be as good when you just play a game here and there, you dont get the chance to get a rhythm going and dont get to build up any confidence through game time.

Freidel and Cudicini were always dependable (except when motorcycle accidents intervened). They never single-handedly knocked us out of 2 cups in 9 months/17 appearances.

Cudicini was a great first choice keeper with Chelsea for a lot of years too. He always played blinders against us.

Back