• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: New Deal for Dawson

Really ambitious to extend with the donkey

Madness, should get rid instead

The comments in this thread :lol:

Deluded bunch

Re: New Deal for Dawson

Really ambitious to extend with the donkey

Madness, should get rid instead

The comments in this thread :lol:

Deluded bunch

Name calling for our own players, stay classy...

The thing is, for me at least, Dawson isn't a first choice player for us. He's a super likeable guy and if I met him in the street I would just want to walk up to him and give him a massive hug, but I don't think he's first choice.

For me at least Kaboul and Vertonghen would be first choice when fit at this point. We've also spent what is a considerable amount of money on young Vlad, most likely not because we think he'll be decent cover, he'll probably at least challenge for a starting spot within the not too distant future (12 months-ish?).

Renewing the contract with a loyal player like Dawson, who has shown a willingness to stay and fight for his place, keep working hard even when dropped and who I've never heard anyone say a negative word about seems like a good idea. Although I don't think he's good enough to be first choice for us I think he's easily good enough to a be a squad player/backup player for us. And his experience and the continuity he brings to the club is certainly valuable imo.

For people to be happy about our club captain, a player who has proved himself loyal to the club and who has always done his best for us should at the very least be expected.

Why does Dawson not get picked for England?

I know Dawson comes in for some stick on here but, why does he never get picked for England. I don't understand it at all. He has a wealth of experience, he is strong, he is a leader on the pitch, he doesn't mind putting his body on the line and (I think) he has a good range of passing. You look at the centre halves Hodgeson picks Cahill, Jagielka, Jones and Smalling. Are you telling me Smalling and Jones are better than Daws? Sorry, I don't see that at all. It's almost as laughable as when Graham Taylor refused to pick Steve Bruce for England.

Re: Why does Dawson not get picked for England?

I agree, he's just as good, if not better than that usual suspects.

He's certainly better than Cahill, Jagielka and co. He also has a leadership streak, unlike those chinless wonders.

The most logical explanation I can come up with is that Hodgson's got a bet on that England will field an all ex-Sheffield United backline during the world cup, and getting the nation to accept Naughton at LB is the final piece in his masterplan.

It's sad for Dawson, but selfishly I'd rather get another two seasons out of him in club football, than waste his time/energies with that hopeless bunch.

He's certainly better than Cahill, Jagielka and co. He also has a leadership streak, unlike those chinless wonders.

The most logical explanation I can come up with is that Hodgson's got a bet on that England will field an all ex-Sheffield United backline during the world cup, and getting the nation to accept Naughton at LB is the final piece in his masterplan.

It's sad for Dawson, but selfishly I'd rather get another two seasons out of him in club football, than waste his time/energies with that hopeless bunch.

Yep, don't want him to make a mistake in an England game that the press hounds him for and destroys his confidence.

If anyone was watching, his performance against Lukaku was a strong validation of how far he has come from the guy who only played well alongside King.

...because he's not good enough, unfortunately.

Jones and Smalling are probably at least partly in there because of their age anyway. I think this is a sensible approach for a national team to take. Bring younger up and coming players with potential through as the squad players to help them in their development.

Another point is style of play. Dawson is very good at some things, but not very good at others. Perhaps Hodgson thinks that in international football having someone with a bit more mobility and defensive ability along the ground is a good thing?

When everyone is fit I think there's a real chance Dawson is fourth choice at centre back for us. He's obviously behind Vertonghen and to me he's almost as obviously behind Kaboul. It's early days for Chiriches still, but he's showing some real promising signs.

because Smalling has pictures of Hodgson sucking a dog off

Smalling and Jones are there due to being versatile, they cover several positions.
Dawson is slow and clumsy for international football, was easy to see when he got his caps and for us at times.
Not any worse than what's already there perhaps, but it's certainly not a disgrace that he's being overlooked.

I don't think he's better than Cahill at all.

To be fair for a long time England had terry and Daws is a poor mans terry but a nicer guy. I'd think he'd actually be s great influence on this England team who for me lack someone with real captaincy ability.

A decade or two ago Daws would be perfect he would literally give his all for that England shirt. Shame it never happened for him.

Because hes a not good enough for us, let alone England.

Cahill & Jagielka are miles ahead of him.

So can someone remind me how many goals we've conceded this season when he's played?

FFS!

To be fair, I'm glad he doesn't play for England, it seems like everytime he does he gets injured.

He's had his chances and never really let England down.

Much better passer than his rivals for that position.

Turning circle of a small ship would no doubt end in disaster at a high level World Cup game.

I think some players are suited to international football and some just to the Premiership. In the prem Dawson has to be strong, good in the tackle and win a lot of balls in the air. In short his abilities suit the style of the premiership. At International level you need a good level of technical ability on the ball, some pace and to read the game well. I dont think the abilities that Dawson has translate to international level where most teams play a technical style approach. Jones and Smalling arguably are similar level to Dawson at prem level but they are a better on the ball than him and so their talents transmit well to the England team.

Back